Jobcentre Plus Work Programme Exposed!

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 169
Forum Member
The sensational thread title was just put there to catch your attention. Exposed is a heavy word. Let's just say, when the Jobcentre confidently proclaims that the Work Programme is mandated for claimants "or else we sanction your allowance," they're lying through their teeth. I'll tell you why.

I've been kindly reciprocating their BS for some time by telling my adviser, at every sign on, that I've attended the WP on Tuesday. She takes my word on it, and asks no further. When the name of the WP adviser was requested, I rehashed the same generic name that I encountered in a previous visit to Ingeus, at a time when I was naively bullied into their superficial scare tactics. She nods and, I think, types it into her system. That's it. No further questions asked, and a clear sign that there is zero correspondence between the Jobcentre and the WP.

Want to bring morality / ethics into the picture? What if my adviser somehow finds out and sanctimoniously tells me that I shouldn't be lying. OK. How about this:

"Why am I being coerced into a programme that I do not find beneficial as an individual? What purpose is being achieved exactly? Isn't it in fact defeating the purpose if I deem it an impediment to my job search? Where is that sense of personal autonomy?"

But, like I said, it's a load of bollocks they're feeding us claimants. There are ways around it. Playing them at their own game.

Comments

• ROWLING2010ROWLING2010 Posts: 3,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Okkkk. I see.

I see this coming back to bite you on the ass sometime soon.

I know from experience the whole programme is about as much use as a chocolate fireguard but lying is not the answer.

My adviser is hopeless but what can you do. I have a child and a cat to support so I attend every meeting and are honest with the job centre.
  • hustedhusted Posts: 5,287
    Forum Member
    Would it kill you to do as you're asked?

The purpose of WP is to make money for providers and harass you into finding a job or signing off.

So play along or risk getting caught at some point. They are tracking you!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 169
    Forum Member
    husted wrote: »
    Would it kill you to do as you're asked?

The purpose of WP is to make money for providers and harass you into finding a job or signing off.

So play along or risk getting caught at some point. They are tracking you!

Did you read my post? No one is tracking anyone. Unless stipulated explicitly that the Jobcentre is in constant liaison with the WP and offers proof, I have no reason to believe otherwise. Experience informs me that this is not the case at all as I've shown.

Addendum, recently I had to make a re-claim and I was told that I personally have to contact the WP in lieu of the Jobcentre setting up an appointment on my behalf. Logic says that the Programme is a separate organisation altogether, and that therefore there cannot legally be an exchange of details due to the data protection act.
    So, basically the appointment I would have secured with the WP would not register with the Jobcentre.

I'm pretty confident. For anyone in the same position, don't pointlessly acquiesce for one year like I did. These white collar folk only know as much as you tell them in this circumstance.
    Ball's in your court.

Even after all this, though, I do miss the free cappachino machine. But you don't really need an appointment to go there, so whenever in the area I'll just pop in. Maybe some of these WP's have some use after all. ;)
  • FilliAFilliA Posts: 864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's something very familiar about your posting style op, have you been here before?

You will probably find that they do random checks and you might be lucky and get away with it, or they might catch you and want all their money back. I know I wouldn't be able to stand the strain. What is it they want you to do? I was sent on a very silly course when I was unemployed, it was a bit of a waste of time but it did help me get a job and it made me laugh at lot at the ridiculous sessions we had to attend.

ETA "these white collar folk" are at the job centre so they've got enough money to pay the bills. Maybe you could remember that and try to do something about your misplaced superiority complex.
  • harry hamsterharry hamster Posts: 1,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FilliA wrote: »
    There's something very familiar about your posting style op, have you been here before?
    You will probably find that they do random checks and you might be lucky and get away with it, or they might catch you and want all their money back. I know I wouldn't be able to stand the strain. What is it they want you to do? I was sent on a very silly course when I was unemployed, it was a bit of a waste of time but it did help me get a job and it made me laugh at lot at the ridiculous sessions we had to attend.

ETA "these white collar folk" are at the job centre so they've got enough money to pay the bills. Maybe you could remember that and try to do something about your misplaced superiority complex.

Pity they can't put as much effort into looking for work as they do in spamming the forum.
    Forum Member

No. This is my first account.

I'm sorry, how is the "white collar" reference derogatory? It is merely an ad hoc reference for clerical occupations.
    So much for "superiority complex."
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And what is it that they want you to do that you so object to?

I am genuinely interested to hear. I know that my very qualified highly paid brother had to sign on and was made to sign a ridiculous job agreement. It involved applying for unsuitable jobs and being prepared to travel up to 3 hours a day for a job even if the hours were part time. Those specific examples illustrate the kind of disheartening and unreasonable conditions placed on job seekers. Your OP has the tone that the WP is beneath you and look at me aren't I clever for bucking the system.

You are giving benefit bashers ammo with that attitude , so please explain what it is that you object to. Maybe you're right but how can we tell unless we know what it is you refuse to do?

I know it's spelling nazi , but it's 'cappuccino'.
  • lyndalahugheslyndalahughes Posts: 270
    Forum Member
    I've declared war on my WP provider after they treated me like crap. I sent this email to their CEO.

I have requested the Manager of the XXX branch of your establishment to give me name and email details of the regional manager, she has failed to comply to my wishes, therefore I have decided to contact you.

I had no contact from my Prospects Advisor, Christopher XXXXXX since November. I sent an email last week to ask for some job advice and the email returned to me, I contacted via email a Mr Andrew XXXXXX who informed me Mr XXXXXX no longer worked for Prospects. I was informed Mr Mohammed XXXXXXXX was my new advisor (now my third advisor) and I was informed that he sent out a letter requesting I attend an appointment with him. I did not receive any letter of appointment. When I said this I got the feeling I was not believed by your staff and I don’t like people assuming I am a liar when I am not. I agreed with Mr Mohammed XXXXXXXX via email that I would attend an appointment with him on Monday 4th February at 1230.

On Monday 4th February I went to Prospects for the appointment with Mr Mohammed XXXXXXXX, Mr XXXXXXXX was not there and I was told he was ‘ill’. Then the manager Ms Clare X told me to do a job search instead, I told her I had done one before coming to my appointment. I told her I wanted to phone my Jobcentre to complain. She pointed to a desk with a phone on it, the phone wouldn’t let me ring out to the Jobcentre. While at the desk Ms X came up with a sticky note, pointed it into my face and told me the date of my appointment was 7th February and that I was mistaken to think otherwise, she basically tried to make me look like a fool and wanted to humiliate me. Enraged by the actions of your member of staff I went online and printed off the email from Mr Mohammed XXXXXXXX showing my appointment as being 4th February. Ms X visibly shocked told me to print another one for herself, she said that she would speak to Mr XXXXXXXX about it, she then found on the computer system that Mr XXXXXXXX had deleted all information on the 4th February and created an appointment for me for the 7th, without my knowledge, so he must have known on Friday that he would be ‘ill’ on Monday.

When home I then forwarded the emails from Mr XXXXXXXX to Ms X. I was thinking about what had just happened, I realised that Prospects just offers a service, one of many who offer the same service to the government and therefore I sent an email to Ms X requesting a change of advisor as I found Mr XXXXXXXX unprofessional and I do not want to deal with such people. Ms X refused to change my advisor, then sent me unprofessional emails goading me into telling the Jobcentre manager. I told Ms X that I will be taking the matter up with my MP and the manager of my local Jobcentre and told her that she may be calling my bluff but I am deadly serious about reporting such unprofessionalism.

Two days later I received a letter from Mr XXXXXXXX, with not just one appointment to see him on 13/02/13, but a further two appointments, one stated that I must attend a Retail Interview Techniques workshop on the 21/02/13, I am not looking for retail work. Second was telling me to come on the 01/03/13 for a ‘job search unsupported’. I normally forward jobs I go for via email from my home, like I did with my previous Prospects advisors and never had a problem. I live in XXXX XXXXXXX, there is no direct bus, so coming into the XXX branch to search for jobs online is ridiculous.

I realise that Mr XXXXXXXX was angry with me getting him into trouble with his manager and so wanted to ‘pay me back’ by forcing me to attend unnecessary appointments. I regard this as a serious case of victimisation and bullying. I will be taking the matter up with my MP and the Minister for the DWP.

The most worrying thing were the two letters for other customers that were with my appointment letter. Your staff treat you as if you are lying when you tell them you haven’t had an appointment letter, but I have proof that customers are not getting their letters, the letters are going to other customers. This is a major breach of the Data Protection Act and as such I will have to also have to mention this in the letter to my MP and my letter to the DWP minister. I have not given you permission to send letters addressed to me to other customers, my information may now be in the hands of fraudsters and I could become a victim of identity fraud, if this happens be aware that I will take legal advice and seek compensation from your company.

I do not want your company to deal with me while I am unemployed, I request you contact the manager of the XXX branch and request her to send all my details back to the Jobcentre so another more professional company can help me find work. Your company is ran by substandard and vengeful staff who need reminding that if it wasn’t for unemployed people they wouldn’t have a job themselves.

I have now reported your advisor, manager and company to the DWP Independent Case Examiner, included in the complaint are the two letters for other customers that were in the letter you sent and proof your staff are unprofessional and revenge seeking.
    Forum Member

I am genuinely interested to hear. I know that my very qualified highly paid brother had to sign on and was made to sign a ridiculous job agreement. It involved applying for unsuitable jobs and being prepared to travel up to 3 hours a day for a job even if the hours were part time. Those specific examples illustrate the kind of disheartening and unreasonable conditions placed on job seekers. Your OP has the tone that the WP is beneath you and look at me aren't I clever for bucking the system.

You are giving benefit bashers ammo with that attitude , so please explain what it is that you object to. Maybe you're right but how can we tell unless we know what it is you refuse to do?

Spelling correction noted.

I refuse to be stripped off my own freedom and autonomy, forced into a programme that makes me follow their nonsensical "phases;" writing up addresses on a copious amount of letters and sending out my CV to any average Joe who probably doesn't have a vacancy anyway. (My WP adviser was literally printing out addresses of one linear specific type of field for me to copy on to the envelopes, paying no attention to the dates or specifications of those jobs whatsoever.) Also, being told to print out jobs or send emails to jobs that have been printed out for me is wholly unnecessary: more than capable to do it on my own.
    I shouldn't have to attend their courses, either, unless I say I need it.

Hope I've clarified my position crystal clear.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oops duplicate
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That must be very frustrating Lynda. I know I used to come out of ordinary signing appts shaking a bit . I hated the whole process.

The course I was sent on was a 13 week thing which the advisor told me cost nearly 1000 per person. There were about 30 on my course and the job agency who ran it did a rolling year round course. So they were making at least 100,000 a year out of it. When the course was over , a lot of the people on it signed on with the agency as they were offering immediate start easy low paid menial jobs like cleaning in care homes and washing up etc. The jobs required a crb, which you had to have to get on the course .So the agency made money off the students because they got paid to 'train' us , then had a steady supply of cheap labour . It just seemed like a scam because the training was comical and the qualification just a made up bit of paper.Cost the taxpayers more than the dole as well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But it did give me something to write on job applications, and it did impress the interviewer who gave me a job after looking at the long list of qualifications they gave me. They weren't to know it was all nonsense I suppose.
  • JayPee86JayPee86 Posts: 3,565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What is a work programme???
    I have been signing on since before Xmas and haven't heard of any such thing yet. Though I have been worried about how much longer I will need to sign on for before they cart me off on some crap.
    Thing is i have been applying for jobs, loads , and I search everyday, I just never ever get even an interview !! Its driving me insane. What more can I do.
    Forum Member
    JayPee86 wrote: »
    What is a work programme???
    I have been signing on since before Xmas and haven't heard of any such thing yet. Though I have been worried about how much longer I will need to sign on for before they cart me off on some crap.
    Thing is i have been applying for jobs, loads , and I search everyday, I just never ever get even an interview !! Its driving me insane. What more can I do.

A helping hand in finding you a job or millions of pounds down the drain employing people to harass the unemployed. Thankfully I'm out of the country from 18th April, for good.
    Forum Member
    That must be very frustrating Lynda. I know I used to come out of ordinary signing appts shaking a bit . I hated the whole process.

Thanks. They don't bother me for over two months, then when I complain about their service they decide to take revenge on me by forcing me to attend unnecessary appointments. These people shouldn't be employed to 'help' the unemployed at all.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I know it's grammar nazi, but there isn't a space after a comma. :rolleyes:
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know it's grammar nazi, but there isn't a space after a comma. :rolleyes:

There sure is a space after a comma. There just isn't usually one before a comma.
  • rbdcayrbdcay Posts: 12,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I award you the 1,000,000,000,000,000th post on JSA/Workafre/Jobseekers/JobCentre award.

Your price is to have a holiday away from the DS boards so you can concentrate your efforts on your next thread on said subject.

Don't thank me.
  • SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    but there isn't a space after a comma. :rolleyes:
    stoatie wrote: »
    There sure is a space after a comma. There just isn't usually one before a comma.

I was taught that you don't even need a comma before 'but'!
  • James30James30 Posts: 5,201
    Forum Member
    rbdcay wrote: »
    I award you the 1,000,000,000,000,000th post on JSA/Workafre/Jobseekers/JobCentre award.

Your price is to have a holiday away from the DS boards so you can concentrate your efforts on your next thread on said subject.

Don't thank me.

Get back to work and stop gloating.
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SuperAPJ wrote: »
    I was taught that you don't even need a comma before 'but'!

I think it varies depending on context- pretty sure it's not a hard and fast rule. I do think people have a tendency to overuse commas, though; it bugs me far more than it should.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    doesn't sound like the advisers are taking there job seriously either, my friend who is a single parents update's me regularly on the idiocy of it all, from the farce of there courses to the recommendations for actual jobs she gets, as a single parent she was recommended to apply for an engineering job on a ship hahahahahahaha complete joke, seriously i imagine alot more is now being spent than it was before i'm sure of it
  • CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I saw a job add for a "Employment Advisor" at my local Work Program

Its all "target driven" and "sustainable business to business sales" very little in it, about helping people find work, or get qualified.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 145
    Forum Member
    This is why i'm glad to be leaving my PO post
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,186
    Forum Member
    Polymath wrote: »
    The sensational thread title was just put there to catch your attention. Exposed is a heavy word. Let's just say, when the Jobcentre confidently proclaims that the Work Programme is mandated for claimants "or else we sanction your allowance," they're lying through their teeth. I'll tell you why.

I've been kindly reciprocating their BS for some time by telling my adviser, at every sign on, that I've attended the WP on Tuesday. She takes my word on it, and asks no further. When the name of the WP adviser was requested, I rehashed the same generic name that I encountered in a previous visit to Ingeus, at a time when I was naively bullied into their superficial scare tactics. She nods and, I think, types it into her system. That's it. No further questions asked, and a clear sign that there is zero correspondence between the Jobcentre and the WP.

Want to bring morality / ethics into the picture? What if my adviser somehow finds out and sanctimoniously tells me that I shouldn't be lying. OK. How about this:

"Why am I being coerced into a programme that I do not find beneficial as an individual? What purpose is being achieved exactly? Isn't it in fact defeating the purpose if I deem it an impediment to my job search? Where is that sense of personal autonomy?"

But, like I said, it's a load of bollocks they're feeding us claimants. There are ways around it. Playing them at their own game.

Someone's trying to help you into a job - the solution you've presented is to do what you can to obstruct that job help - imagine what an employer would think! :confused: