2012/13 - One of the worst seasons for one of England's most decorated clubs?

Aztec23Aztec23 Posts: 1,313
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I know this is Liverpool, but just wanted to paste this to allow others outside Liverpool (fan-wise) the chance to view this and get in their thoughts.

I can't help but think that to quite a degree, I feel at a low ebb and that our season is finished and not really having anything to play for.

I supported Liverpool since the mid 1980s so one could argue the point of me being a glory hunter, but like many others, have gone through the rough and the smooth.

Maybe this particular season isn't as bad as the following:

1993/94 - Souness's final season

1998/99 - The worst and Roy Evans' final season as Gerrard Houllier takes sole control

2003/04 - Houllier's final season - remember BBC Radio 5 live on a Sunday for a fair few rings being inundated with callers of Liverpool fans that desperately wanted Houllier out.

2009/10 - Rafa's final season - from a club challenging for the title in the previous season, to a landslide

2010/11 - Roy Hodgson - crashing out to Northampton in the League cup was a real low ebb for Liverpool

2012/13

OK, we may still finish in the top 6, but will this season join the above list???

Comments

• Richie1001Richie1001 Posts: 8,217
    Forum Member
    If we finish 6th or up I'd call that a decent end to the season to be honest. Given that most tipped us for midtable at best and some said we'd be fighting relegation.

I also don't buy into the fact there's nothing to play for. We have European football to play for. Top 4? Almost certainly not, but we should fight to get ourselves as close as possible and mainly to try to get ourselves 6th place. And hopefully putting pressure on 5th.

We may not be at the heights we've known in the past, but this season could go down as a turning point for us, or it could go down as the start of a real decline, but I don't think its importance will be know for another few yet.
  • AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,329
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The obsession with Liverpool on this forum is borderline maddening.

They are a team in transition, everyone needs to get the head together that Liverpool are NOT a big force anymore (not saying they won't be in the future) but at this time they are an average top half Premier League side.

The attention they get at times is embarassing and the amount of digs thrown at them on the forum equally so
  • DirtyBarrySpeedDirtyBarrySpeed Posts: 1,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Liverpool aren't doing too badly, started off way down the bottom regions and have significantly moved up the table.

Plus Sturridge looks like a pretty decent buy.
  • Aztec23Aztec23 Posts: 1,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Richie1001 wrote: »
    If we finish 6th or up I'd call that a decent end to the season to be honest. Given that most tipped us for midtable at best and some said we'd be fighting relegation.

I also don't buy into the fact there's nothing to play for. We have European football to play for. Top 4? Almost certainly not, but we should fight to get ourselves as close as possible and mainly to try to get ourselves 6th place. And hopefully putting pressure on 5th.

We may not be at the heights we've known in the past, but this season could go down as a turning point for us, or it could go down as the start of a real decline, but I don't think its importance will be know for another few yet.

Brendan Rodgers has definitely got something there, and there was evidence of that clearly last night. Compared to 2008/09, Gerrard and Torres single-handedly won us a lot of the matches on another we wouldn't have won.

The message he's gotta drive loud and clear is to urge the players to play for futures. There's a part of me that would like to give Brendan another season, but he's got to bring in some new players as well as weed out those who just aren't good enough.

The defense has to be one of the areas that genuinely needs addressing.
  • codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Im glad i did not start this thread
  • KierenjKierenj Posts: 2,457
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    codeblue wrote: »

we all are ;)
  • The_don1The_don1 Posts: 17,331
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ambassador wrote: »
    The obsession with Liverpool on this forum is borderline maddening.

They are a team in transition, everyone needs to get the head together that Liverpool are NOT a big force anymore (not saying they won't be in the future) but at this time they are an average top half Premier League side.

The attention they get at times is embarassing and the amount of digs thrown at them on the forum equally so

I can sort of understand it, We have seen less sucessful clubs form the past become major forces in football but we have not really seen a true force in English fooball lose its place in football like Liverpool have. Depending on the age of people they have either lived though the years where Liverpool was the team or would have just missed out on it and heard about it in great detail as it is recent history to them.

For people who lived though the Liverpool years its difficult to see how this happened and for those who its recent history for can not quite see how the Liverpool that have been told about tallys about with the club they see today
    I think if in a few years Man Utd was in Liverpools place you would see just as many topics about it.
  • celesticelesti Posts: 25,855
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you genuinely a Liverpool fan, Aztec?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The_don1 wrote: »
    I can sort of understand it, We have seen less sucessful clubs form the past become major forces in football but we have not really seen a true force in English fooball lose its place in football like Liverpool have. Depending on the age of people they have either lived though the years where Liverpool was the team or would have just missed out on it and heard about it in great detail as it is recent history to them.

For people who lived though the Liverpool years its difficult to see how this happened and for those who its recent history for can not quite see how the Liverpool that have been told about tallys about with the club they see today
    I think if in a few years Man Utd was in Liverpools place you would see just as many topics about it.

One thing I'd never give up on as an aspiration and a prime objective is to be challenging for the League Title.

Surely our history and what we've stood for is there for a reason. 22 Years, and in my reckoning, the closest we came was 2008/09.

We sat top of the pile on Christmas Day and that really was a magical feeling.

Every other time this season, we get a sucker punch, ala the example of Carragher's mistake. We seem to make life a lot harder for ourselves, and it's shown a lot notably in recent times.

I'll happily stand for patience, but what that has to be on the basis of the club going in the right direction.

Although signs are there, my problem is that some of those players on the books are NOT up to scratch - Jonjo Shelvey being one of them, and I genuinely feel it's time to bite the bullet and instill 2 brand new center halfs.
  • mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The_don1 wrote: »

hello? Manchester Utd, Cup side 1968-1993. Second division side 1974/75.

I'm sure Leeds supporters might have a word on this point as well!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    celesti wrote: »
    Are you genuinely a Liverpool fan, Aztec?

Yes, since the mid 1980s.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aztec23 wrote: »
    Maybe this particular season isn't as bad as the following:

1993/94 - Souness's final season

1998/99 - The worst and Roy Evans' final season as Gerrard Houllier takes sole control

2003/04 - Houllier's final season - remember BBC Radio 5 live on a Sunday for a fair few rings being inundated with callers of Liverpool fans that desperately wanted Houllier out.

2009/10 - Rafa's final season - from a club challenging for the title in the previous season, to a landslide

2010/11 - Roy Hodgson - crashing out to Northampton in the League cup was a real low ebb for Liverpool

The above bar the last all have something in common - the end of an era, its why managers tend to lose their jobs after all. Hodgsen was just a dreadful error.

Rodgers first season has been about fixing systemic shortcomings within the first team squad - too many old players, too many overpaid under utilised players and Kennys signings.

Its very hard to understand why anyone with an ear or an eye could not foresee that the first season was going to be tough going. This season is not yet over and I for one am confident that the final points tally in May (when this thread would have been better started) will be 10-12 points better than last season.

No trophies sure but a younger, fitter, hungrier cheaper squad that can be developed rather than another dead end a la Hodgson and Dalglish.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm always amused by people that tell me(with appetite) in one breath Liverpool aren't a big club any more then in the next tell me I'm a glory hunter for supporting them. Aside from Istanbul, I must have missed the buckets of glory we have bathed in over the last 2 decades or so then.

We're a typical fair to middling side at the moment capable of widely varying form and results from one week to the next and we're well off the pace of the big boys on and off the field.

Based on previous decisions I wouldn't be surprised to see FSG showing Rodgers the door in the summer if they calculate we have gone backwards this season. People disagree with this but can't really justify it beyond saying "he won't be fired". Why not? If we don't better 8th and a cup this season they could easily decide that isn't good enough. And we ain't gonna win a cup. They might be wrong, but it's their decision to make.
  • Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member
    Ginger Nut wrote: »
    I'm always amused by people that tell me(with appetite) in one breath Liverpool aren't a big club any more then in the next tell me I'm a glory hunter for supporting them. Aside from Istanbul, I must have missed the buckets of glory we have bathed in over the last 2 decades or so then.

We're a typical fair to middling side at the moment capable of widely varying form and results from one week to the next and we're well off the pace of the big boys on and off the field.

Based on previous decisions I wouldn't be surprised to see FSG showing Rodgers the door in the summer if they calculate we have gone backwards this season. People disagree with this but can't really justify it beyond saying "he won't be fired". Why not? If we don't better 8th and a cup this season they could easily decide that isn't good enough. And we ain't gonna win a cup. They might be wrong, but it's their decision to make.

Of course they can fire him but they would lose a lot of credibility in doing so.

They have specifically seeked out a man who in their eyes is capable of rebuilding a sustainable, challenging football team, not a short term fix. Now whether Rodgers is that or not in reality is another matter, but given that he has been chosen then surely he needs to be given the appropriate time by the owners to put that plan into action?

It would also be extremely short sighted to allow him to spend money in January in those circumstances. Unless we buy into the stories that it wasnt actually BR who was doing the buying, which seems a little far-fetched.

In any other walk of life you wouldnt be given a period of time to complete a task and then sacked a quarter of the way into that period because the task wasnt already completed. Unless of course he has been told that CL qualification is a requirement this season or something like that, but i dont think thats in keeping with the job spec at this stage.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rodgers is as safe as houses. I have no idea why people don't get this. Dalglish was fired for spending not only a lot to little effect but also because they (or more likely their advisers) saw that he had no vision, no plan it was all very muddly and muddy. Rodgers was hired as he outlined exactly what he wanted to do and the time frame for it to be implemented. They clearly thought he could do it, was worth the risk and in the summer made a point of not setting a specific target for year one.
  • Super_SteveSuper_Steve Posts: 4,946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rogers is a loonatic.

The nonsense he comes out with is hillarious. What was it last night to add to his catalogue of bollocks "We lost the battle but one the war on the attacking front". "The greatest football family in the world."

He's crackers.
  • MalbrenMalbren Posts: 3,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    codeblue wrote: »

Tell your indentical twin to stop them too :p

Seriously though OP, you claim in the title thread "One of the worst seasons" then list another 5 or 6 in your opening post.

If Liverpool have already had 5 or 6 poor seasons in your opinion its hardly worth making an issue of this one by starting a thread on it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've not experienced this as such on here, but on other forums that I've used, even when Liverpool won a trophy for the first time in 6 seasons, not many out there credited us for it.

I think a big part of a negative and the doom and gloom last season was Dalglish in his handling of the press and the Suarez case, as well as Luis Suarez himself.

I genuinely want stability and am a little tired of being in 'transition' for the last 2/3 years.
  • Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member
    Aztec23 wrote: »
    I genuinely want stability and am a little tired of being in 'transition' for the last 2/3 years.

You wont get stability by changing the manager every year.
  • Mr TeacakeMr Teacake Posts: 6,593
    Forum Member
    Why have Liverpool been in the doldrums for over two decades?

A fluke cl doesn't make up for domestic uncompetitiveness.
  • DirtyBarrySpeedDirtyBarrySpeed Posts: 1,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr Teacake wrote: »
    Why have Liverpool been in the doldrums for over two decades?

Sir Alex Ferguson, Arsene Wenger, Mr Abramovich, Sheikh Mansour...
  • NorthernNinnyNorthernNinny Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rogers is a loonatic.

The nonsense he comes out with is hillarious. What was it last night to add to his catalogue of bollocks "We lost the battle but one the war on the attacking front". "The greatest football family in the world."

He's crackers.

Did he really say that? :o:o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did he really say that? :o:o

I think he's for real, and he's obviously seeing something the fans otherwise are not, or even if they are, it's a great big test of patience - hence me creating this thread, and it's genuinely soul destroying (without sounding too depressed).

Is that, or he's doing his best to maintain the morale and the spirits.

I actually like the bloke for what it's worth, and he'd probably be somebody sound to share a pint with.

In terms of Liverpool, this is a massive job with a massive rebuilding process. I only wish for all sakes, that there are at the very least, genuine foundations being put back into the club where there is scope for growth.

It's not all doom and gloom, but it would have been nice to at least have been in one of the cup comps and be in a more better position to be challenging for 4th.
  • Steveaustin316Steveaustin316 Posts: 15,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not even close, 1992-93 was a far worse season for Liverpool than this year.

Liverpool were just 3 points above the relegation Zone in March 1993 before recovering to finish 6th.

http://www.statto.com/football/stats/england/premier-league/1992-1993/table/1993-03-07
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not even close, 1992-93 was a far worse season for Liverpool than this year.

Liverpool were just 3 points above the relegation Zone in March 1993 before recovering to finish 6th.

http://www.statto.com/football/stats/england/premier-league/1992-1993/table/1993-03-07

Staggering - and to think we lost 12 matches on our own soil - at the time United won their first title after 26 years.