Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Friends Gripes

Old 20-11-2014, 20:37
anyonefortennis
Forum Member

This 4 part adaptation of Elizabeth Strout's Pulitzer-winning novel of the same name focuses on Olive Kitteridge's (Frances McDormand) interactions with the people of her small Maine town over the course of 25 years starts on 14th December on Sky Atlantic. Looking forward to this. Great cast including Richard Jenkins and Bill Murray. It's received great reviews on Metacritic.

Storyline

A look at a seemingly placid New England town that is actually wrought with illicit affairs, crime and tragedy, all told through the lens of Olive, whose wicked wit and harsh demeanor mask a warm but troubled heart and staunch moral center.

The story spans 25 years and focuses on Olive's relationships with her husband, Henry, the good-hearted and kindly town pharmacist; their son, Christopher, who resents his mother's approach to parenting; and other members of their community.
anyonefortennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 10-12-2014, 11:19
anyonefortennis
Forum Member

The first episode is available on demand now before it airs on Sky Atlantic on Sunday night.
Old 10-12-2014, 19:50
degsyhufc
Forum Member

Going to give this a go.
It looks like one of the more bleak dramas that Sky Atlantic tend to show rather than the glitzy ones on other channels.

Looks interesting though and has a good cast.
degsyhufc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2014, 18:54
cavalli
Forum Member

I loved this, think splitting it into 4 episodes would have been better - after spending two intense, back to back nights with Olive, I'm going to miss her in a funny kind of way.
cavalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2014, 19:03
anyonefortennis
Forum Member

I loved this, think splitting it into 4 episodes would have been better - after spending two intense, back to back nights with Olive, I'm going to miss her in a funny kind of way.
I thought she was brilliant and Richard Jenkins playing her husband was equally fantastic. I didn't realise the guy who saved the drowning woman plays Nygma in Gotham. He looked so different in this. The scene in the bedroom with the little girl was hilarious and when he hid her new daughter in laws shoe in her handbag and used luminous marker pen on her pristine white cardigan and folded it back into the wardrobe. It reminded me a bit of Revolutionary Road and Mildred Pierce. Didn't realise the 2nd part was last night. Luckily I spotted it just in time and recorded it to watch later.
Old 16-12-2014, 20:29
degsyhufc
Forum Member

I thought it was going to be a series. Didn't realise it was just a two parter.

Still, something to watch over the weekend.
degsyhufc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2014, 20:30
anyonefortennis
Forum Member

I thought it was going to be a series. Didn't realise it was just a two parter.

Still, something to watch over the weekend.
It was shown in 4 parts in the US but in 2 parts over here for some reason.
Old 17-12-2014, 06:40
lloys-strachan
Forum Member

I downloaded this from catch up to watch over two nights but couldn't stop after the first episode.
Brilliantly acted by everyone in the production with a story that was painful in many parts to watch.
Olive was infuriatingly selfish and emotionally constipated but I loved every minute of her story.
lloys-strachan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2014, 14:56
Spider Rico
Forum Member

How on earth has this got such a small thread? I was expecting one with hundreds of replies.

One of the best things I've seen this year, or any year. Brilliantly written and acted. I thought the way mental health was depicted was very accurate and moving. As someone else said above, I'm going to miss Olive. Henry and 'The Mouse', too Bill Murray also made a big impact in the relatively short time he was on screen.

Outstanding TV.
Spider Rico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2014, 15:12
fayebeatle
Forum Member

How on earth has this got such a small thread? I was expecting one with hundreds of replies.

One of the best things I've seen this year, or any year. Brilliantly written and acted. I thought the way mental health was depicted was very accurate and moving. As someone else said above, I'm going to miss Olive. Henry and 'The Mouse', too Bill Murray also made a big impact in the relatively short time he was on screen.

Outstanding TV.
Completely agree with you about number of replies on here. It was an incredible drama with black humour, "I'm waiting for the dog to die,so I can shoot myself!'
The acting was fantastic. The way Olive almost was proud of her mental problems, but great at helping people with those problems too. Henry was a trooper, soft, kind and hardly ever worn out by her caustic nature (hospital drugs bust an exception). They were clearly made for one another.
Awesome television drama. Sad it ended as it did - almost optimistic!
fayebeatle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2014, 15:50
derek500
Forum Member

It was shown in 4 parts in the US but in 2 parts over here for some reason.
It was shown as two episodes back to back over two nights.

I suppose as HBO is ad free, they thought a short interval after an hour would be handy for comfort breaks etc.

Sky offer more than enough breaks of their own!!
derek500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2014, 13:03
Nollaig79
Forum Member

I saw both episodes last night, and thought it was fantastic! Well written and well acted too. I was rather disappointed when it ended, as I would liked to have seen how Olive and Bill Murray's relationship develops.
Nollaig79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2014, 17:00
MissySmith
Forum Member

That was award-worthy! It reminded me of Fargo,and lo-and-behold,it seems Olive was in that too
MissySmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2014, 17:23
anyonefortennis
Forum Member

That was award-worthy! It reminded me of Fargo,and lo-and-behold,it seems Olive was in that too
It's quite shocking that Bill Murray was nominated for a Golden Globe but Richard Jenkins wasn't. Murray was fantastic but Jenkins had a much bigger role and it was a lot more challenging. Jenkins is nominated for a SAG which I suppose is more important seeing as it's voted for by fellow actors.
Old 19-12-2014, 01:27
Billy_Value
Forum Member

I watched it, i enjoyed it.
Billy_Value is offline   Reply With Quote