Options

Cora and Ava- Where are EE Going with this?

vaslav37vaslav37 Posts: 69,580
Forum Member
✭✭
It looks like its going to be a struggle for Cora and Ava to connect- apart from the Brannings and Dexter is anybody else aware that Ava is Cora's daughter?

Comments

• Options
    Broken_ArrowBroken_Arrow Posts: 10,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Right. Cards on the table. Is the actress who plays Ava supposed to be something special because I've yet to see it. Based on tonight I thought she was really poor actually. Obvious delivery of her lines and no chemistry with any of the actors. I won't be expecting too much from this character if what we've seen so far is anything to go by.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ava is becoming a running joke now. She hasn't actually done anything. Even AJ seems to have more of a point.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Right. Cards on the table. Is the actress who plays Ava supposed to be something special because I've yet to see it. Based on tonight I thought she was really poor actually. Obvious delivery of her lines and no chemistry with any of the actors. I won't be expecting too much from this character if what we've seen so far is anything to go by.

This ! Damp Squib character / actress .
    As usual over-hyped as some sort of second coming saviour- type . Don't get me started on Dexter either :(
  • Options
    nick202nick202 Posts: 9,919
    Forum Member
    They made such a big deal about her arrival but they seem to have become bored of the story before it's even properly started. I thought the episodes introducing Ava were very good, but nothing since...
  • Options
    Aztec23Aztec23 Posts: 1,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Load of nonsense and this soap is just getting worse to the point where I'll give up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    klendathu wrote: »
    This ! Damp Squib character / actress .
    As usual over-hyped as some sort of second coming saviour- type . Don't get me started on Dexter either :(

I instantly disliked him and I haven't yet been given a reason to change my mind. He's just the kind of character EastEnders doesn't need. Another poor actor too.

Speaking of poor acting, I'm sure it's been mentioned but isn't Ava a bit common for someone who's supposed to be educated? I've heard her use a lot of slang.
  • Options
    nick202nick202 Posts: 9,919
    Forum Member
    Aztec23 wrote: »
    Load of nonsense and this soap is just getting worse to the point where I'll give up.

I certainly think the way the storyline has been put on the backburner for so long now is appalling - it shows how the writers, etc. have become so pre-occupied with certain characters at the expense of others.
  • Options
    Black VelvetBlack Velvet Posts: 702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aztec23 wrote: »

I don't think EE knows where its going with some of their characters Cora/Ava Masood/Carol/Ayeshia. Max/Tanya/Kirsty. Alfie/Kat/Roxy/Michael.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really think the writing team on this show are the pits...
  • Options
    R2Y5A0N2R2Y5A0N2 Posts: 54,679
    Forum Member
    vaslav37 wrote: »
    It looks like its going to be a struggle for Cora and Ava to connect- apart from the Brannings and Dexter is anybody else aware that Ava is Cora's daughter?

Patrick knows about Ava being Cora's daughter.
    Also the Branning's and Dexter but apart from that, I think that's the only ppl who know. x
  • Options
    MinxyRach7MinxyRach7 Posts: 440
    Forum Member
    Lorraine Newman said in her interview with DS that Ava wasn't supposed to be a regular character at first but they liked the actress so decided to expand the role. That might be why she hasn't had anything to do, she was only meant to appear in a few episodes last year to add layers to Cora and so they hadn't planned a story for her as a character in her own right. I'm sure they will now since they are so impressed with Perkins.
  • Options
    rr22rr22 Posts: 7,633
    Forum Member
    I agree that the writers may not know what to do with her as she was concieved as a short term chatacter for a few weeks and then they created dexter to follow. Ava and cora have been a bit quiet of late though. I forgot she had a daughter.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 76
    Forum Member
    the storyline has gone from the forefront to the backseat practically overnight. What kind of dramatic breakthroughs have happend where they are at the point sitting around in the pub having a jolly good rant about life.

Cora was meant to of carried guilt with her all her life but now does not seem to even think about Ava anymore... Shes gone back to being the matriach of the square telling everyone else what they should be thinking/doing whilst making a pigs ear of her own life drinking it away.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cora was always planned to be the next Matriarch of the Square but I would like to see a proper relationship develop between Cora and Ava.

why are the EE writing team so damn lazy- its really annoying.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Why would someone give up a decent job in a school to work in a crumby community centre as well? the pay must be cack in comparison. Its all unbelievable.
  • Options
    dazza89dazza89 Posts: 13,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ava is reminding me of Vanessa,originally only brought in for a few episodes then impressed so was kept on but then did absolutely nothing of note during her time until the famous Bubbly in the Fridge moment, expect Ava to be tearing up the Brannings house by the end of the year having done hardly anything since.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are the EE writing team deliberately trying to wreck the show with half baked storylines? Ava has great potential but this dire writing team seem intent on running the show into the ground..
  • Options
    KieranDSKieranDS Posts: 16,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's because she was only meant to be in the show for 5 episodes, but they decided to extend her role within the show and cast her son. That mean's no storyline arc was created for her beyond 5 episodes.

She was developed a bit tonight with the reveal that Dexter's father had left her and him when he was born.

I think it's better she is only popping up every now and then. It wouldn't feel natural if she was around all the time.

Also, she was intentionally meant to look awkward and passive during the Vic scenes. After all, she is sitting opposite her estranged mother of 40+ years. That can't feel normal at all.

The only criticism I have is that she sounds common and uses colloquial language a lot. That doesn't sit right considering she is a teacher.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Personally I would free up the old Slater House and move Ava and Dexter into that... It seems full of waif and strays at the moment...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Axe this Turkey character !
  • Options
    MinxyRach7MinxyRach7 Posts: 440
    Forum Member
    Wayne B wrote: »
    Cora was meant to of carried guilt with her all her life but now does not seem to even think about Ava anymore...
    That's because the story was supposed to end after their initial few meetings last year so by this point Cora would have begun to move on. Ava wasn't supposed to be a regular character which is why she has no story at the moment I'm guessing. Really they have done this back to front they should have waited until they had planned a story before bringing the actress back.
  • Options
    los.kavlos.kav Posts: 8,053
    Forum Member
    Psssst: small thing, but her speaking colloquially is quite normal. I used to teach in a university and I speak a lot of slang and swear like a sailor. :D So I quite like that: it shows that not all teachers are stuffy or - even worse - overly-bubbly "I can be trendy but Im actually lame & 5 years out of date when connecting with the yoof of today" types :p

I can see why other people dont like it though: it would be nice for EE to portray another type of character that they usually dont.
  • Options
    sugarandspicesugarandspice Posts: 2,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lorraine and the writers only concentrate on Max, Tanya, Kirsty, Kat and Alfie and thats it really every episode its something to do with them its so boring

Ava i think has the potential to be a really good character if i dont know they give her more than a couple of lines every month or so

I agree Dexter really is a pointless character there are too many teeny young adulty types on the aquare anyway.

They only good chracter introduced isAyesha but Ayesha is leaving so ....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    it might as well just be called the branning show at the moment. They are not all bad people but too many of them is killing the show for me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The bottom line here is why did they keep a character on who they didn't have any storylines for? Ava was contracted for 5 episodes and that was supposed to be that. Time after time they bring in characters, don't have anything for them to do and leave them in limbo. It comes across as sloppy and lazy. If they wanted Ava so much then holding off on making her a regular until they had storylines mapped out for her would have been a beter idea. Instead they've saddled us with yet another mouthy chav teenager and that's supposed to make it all right until they're ready to deal with her. I'll be honest, I'm not impressed with Ava, Dexter or the actors so far but I wonder if my opinion would be different if they'd had a substantial storyline behind them.