Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Android best free sat nav?

Old 23-02-2013, 15:02
Lidtop2013
Forum Member

As title I've just help my sis get a half decent phone for her budget, all she wants it for is Facebook/sat nav, so I sorted her a phone but its on android so I've no idea of the best free sat navs? Or is the standard built in google maps good enough? What's best?
Lidtop2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 23-02-2013, 15:22
psionic
Forum Member

Google is good enough if you have an internet connection. Otherwise you could have a look at NavFree. https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....OSM.ALL&hl=en
psionic is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2013, 15:24
dezire
Forum Member

As title I've just help my sis get a half decent phone for her budget, all she wants it for is Facebook/sat nav, so I sorted her a phone but its on android so I've no idea of the best free sat navs? Or is the standard built in google maps good enough? What's best?
Google maps. It does the job very well.
dezire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2013, 15:28
Rodney McKay
Forum Member

Google is good enough if you have an internet connection. Otherwise you could have a look at NavFree. https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....OSM.ALL&hl=en
Navfree is good.
Rodney McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2013, 15:35
dezire
Forum Member

I would recommend installing this app - it will overlay all the speed limits and cameras on the road on Google Maps....it's free to download with the latest database, but you can subscribe to have updates - I don't see the point in subscribing as there are no new speed camera being installed as far as I know.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...W1lcmFsZXJ0Il0.
dezire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2013, 17:45
Lidtop2013
Forum Member

Nice one guys will pass the info on
Old 23-02-2013, 17:48
c4rv
Forum Member

google maps is free and online so its always up to date and free traffic info as well. They have made a lot of improvements with the routing over the last year or so including routing based on existing traffic conditions.

The POI is by far the best I have come across, it integrates with google search so for example if you give a business name it will find the closest location or you can tell it which town to find that business in.

Of course its voice controlled if you want as well.

The only downside I have found is that it does not auto re-route if it finds traffic while you are driving but you can easily manually get it to re-route.
c4rv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2013, 20:51
nafanny29
Forum Member

Google maps is the biz, really does find the quickest route taking into account the traffic etc. Navfree is OK, but routing can be dodgy sometimes and doesnt monitor the traffic at all.
nafanny29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2013, 21:49
twogunthom
Inactive Member

You gave her a bum steer, you should have got her a Nokia Lumia 800, then she would already have the best free satnav available and a right nice phone toboot.
twogunthom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2013, 22:05
Lidtop2013
Forum Member

I don't think you could get a lumia 800 for 100
Old 24-02-2013, 22:40
Aarghawasp!
Forum Member

I've used Google maps as a passenger, can you make it talk like a satnav for when you're driving?
Aarghawasp! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2013, 22:49
twogunthom
Inactive Member

I've used Google maps as a passenger, can you make it talk like a satnav for when you're driving?
I know you can with the Nokias and it really is free
twogunthom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2013, 23:16
whoever,hey
Forum Member

I know you can with the Nokias and it really is free
Google Navigator speaks directions as well and is really free.
whoever,hey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2013, 23:57
call100
Forum Member

Yes, Search for the place you want to go to, tap the pin for directions and when you have the map with directions just tap the paper aeroplane like button at the bottom and it will take you to navigation.......Or, go to the Navigation app, it uses google maps, just search for your location.
All this assumes you are using Android....
You can get different voices for it as well...
call100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2013, 00:30
c4rv
Forum Member

You gave her a bum steer, you should have got her a Nokia Lumia 800, then she would already have the best free satnav available and a right nice phone toboot.
does it provide free traffic updates, always have the latest maps, always have the latest POI, does it link to street view, link to google search, can you program it via your desktop PC, does it remember your favourite routes and give you the latest traffic info for them, does it know where you are likely to be going at any time of the day or day of the week and offer that as first choice ?
Old 25-02-2013, 12:20
finbaar
Forum Member

One feature the Google have nailed is that you can be searching for a particlar place on your laptop and when you leave the house the card is there on your phone ready to give you directions.
finbaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2013, 19:01
whoever,hey
Forum Member

One feature the Google have nailed is that you can be searching for a particlar place on your laptop and when you leave the house the card is there on your phone ready to give you directions.
Or you've googled for restaurants in the past and when you are near it they pop up.
whoever,hey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2013, 21:52
niceguy1966
Forum Member

NavFree is good, but Google's own navigation is getting better all the time. I agree with others that the addition of traffic info and knowing where you've searched for on your laptop are really great features.

It really depends if you are trying to keep down your data usage or not. NavFree works even with data turned off (use WiFi to use the integrated Google Search for your destination, add to favorites, and no more data is needed after you leave the house).
niceguy1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2013, 00:07
c4rv
Forum Member

NavFree is good, but Google's own navigation is getting better all the time. I agree with others that the addition of traffic info and knowing where you've searched for on your laptop are really great features.

It really depends if you are trying to keep down your data usage or not. NavFree works even with data turned off (use WiFi to use the integrated Google Search for your destination, add to favorites, and no more data is needed after you leave the house).
I agree, but I would add that data usage really is not that big. I did a 7 day, 1,000 mile trip from SE of england up to Scotland and back and google maps used less then 50mb of data for the whole trip. And this was without pre-loading any maps.
Old 26-02-2013, 04:53
niceguy1966
Forum Member

I agree, but I would add that data usage really is not that big. I did a 7 day, 1,000 mile trip from SE of england up to Scotland and back and google maps used less then 50mb of data for the whole trip. And this was without pre-loading any maps.
It all depends on your tariff. That's a big chunck if you're on a 250MB a month plan.
niceguy1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2013, 05:33
IvanIV
Forum Member

I don't think you could get a lumia 800 for 100
I think Nokia just released their apps for all WP phones.
IvanIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2013, 08:38
JethroUK
Forum Member

stock Google Navigation works for me

I use it everyday

no maps to install or buy
don't even need to type in the destination just say it
get a nice pic of the destination pop up when I arrive
JethroUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2013, 09:31
c4rv
Forum Member

It all depends on your tariff. That's a big chunck if you're on a 250MB a month plan.
I probably could have used less data if I had pre-cached the maps over wifi.
Old 26-02-2013, 09:56
call100
Forum Member

Are there plans out there that actually give so little?...........Satnav doesn't use much data and as said, if you download the maps via wireless before leaving you will use even less.
call100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2013, 15:08
c4rv
Forum Member

Are there plans out there that actually give so little?...........Satnav doesn't use much data and as said, if you download the maps via wireless before leaving you will use even less.
I am guessing 250mb could be from an old contract that has not expired yet.