Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

RIP Ray Cusick

Old 23-02-2013, 22:23
Glyn W
Forum Member

Designer of the Daleks has died, breaking news on BBC News 24.
Glyn W is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 23-02-2013, 22:33
king yrcanos
Forum Member

You have got to be joking, oh my, this is so terribly sad, RIP Ray
king yrcanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2013, 22:36
nebogipfel
Forum Member

How sad. His most famous design are going to feature large this year. A shame he didn't get to see the tributes broadcast.

I've enjoyed his contributions to DVD extras. His commitment to getting the very best out of a limited budget was palpable. The success of the show is in no small part down to Ray Cusick.
nebogipfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2013, 22:45
Muttley76
Forum Member

Sad news
Muttley76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2013, 22:51
Verence
Forum Member

RIP Ray
Verence is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2013, 22:55
Glyn W
Forum Member

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-21563344
Glyn W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2013, 22:56
tiggerpooh
Forum Member

That's so sad! R.I.P. Ray.

We've had a few people from the world's of Doctor Who die this year. Bernard Horsefall in January, plus Richard Briers and Elspet Gray last week. Rest in peace all of you.

I read on DS sometime last year of someone who wanted to know who created the Daleks. Someone else posted that it was Davros, then someone else said, ''No, it was actually Ray Cusick, cos he designed them. Davros created them in the show, but Ray designed them for the show back in early 1963.''
tiggerpooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2013, 22:58
CD93
Forum Member

Very sad, very sad indeed.

His legacy will truly live on.
CD93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2013, 23:04
adams66
Forum Member

That's so sad, and just months before the 50th anniversary of a show that owes so much of it's success to his designs - not just the Daleks but all sorts of stuff in the early days. They are as iconic as the TARDIS, and a crucial part of Doctor Who.

Davros, pah... Ray was the the real creator of the Daleks. And it's a testament to his brilliance that the design of the Daleks has barely altered since 1963 - and when they did try to 'update' the designs recently virtually no-one thought they were any good, which just proves how good the originals were.

Sleep well Ray,
adams66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2013, 23:08
Sniffle774
Forum Member

R.I.P. but what a legacy he leaves behind. Iconic design that is universally recognised and even after all these years still stirring the emotions.
Sniffle774 is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2013, 23:49
Airborae
Forum Member

Terrible news in the 50th Anniversary year. He should have been there on 23rd November.

Thank you Ray. Without you, Doctor Who may not have lasted as long as it did.
Airborae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2013, 00:33
TimeMyRelative
Forum Member

That's so sad! R.I.P. Ray.

We've had a few people from the world's of Doctor Who die this year. Bernard Horsefall in January, plus Richard Briers and Elspet Gray last week. Rest in peace all of you.

I read on DS sometime last year of someone who wanted to know who created the Daleks. Someone else posted that it was Davros, then someone else said, ''No, it was actually Ray Cusick, cos he designed them. Davros created them in the show, but Ray designed them for the show back in early 1963.''
Pertwee stuck up for Cusick as the true creator over Nation on a competition results slot on a daytime show with Anne and Nick back in the 90s I believe - clip should be on the More than 30 years docu dvd out now.

Seemingly nice guy Cusick and too bad that he didn't get more royalties for his brilliant design - just the way life goes. RIP
TimeMyRelative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2013, 01:15
November_Rain

Such a shame he didn't see through the anniversary. RIP.
November_Rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2013, 04:25
Mrfipp
Forum Member

Such a shame he didn't see through the anniversary. RIP.
The Daleks, such a unique and simple design that even today, nearly fifty years later, has it remained almost entirely unchanged. Sure, there have been slight changes in detail, and some paint jobs, but the Dalek are virtually unchanged from how they appeared all those years.

Only the TARDIS itself could rivial them in such a manner.

RIP Ray Cusick, your creations will always be around, exterminating all life simply because they're evil little buggers in tanks.
Mrfipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2013, 05:57
Gutted Girl
Forum Member

So sad that he won't be around for the 50th anniversary not only of the good Doctor but also of his iconic design.

RIP
Gutted Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2013, 07:22
Chapwithwings
Forum Member

Pertwee stuck up for Cusick as the true creator over Nation on a competition results slot on a daytime show with Anne and Nick back in the 90s I believe - clip should be on the More than 30 years docu dvd out now.

Seemingly nice guy Cusick and too bad that he didn't get more royalties for his brilliant design - just the way life goes. RIP
He was a BBC employee so his design belonged to them. He was never going to get any royalties. However, I think it's fabulous that his passing is being recognised so publicly after years and years of being ignored and the importance of his part in the show being generally dismissed.

RIP Dalek daddy
Chapwithwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2013, 07:52
Verence
Forum Member

How sad. His most famous design are going to feature large this year. A shame he didn't get to see the tributes broadcast.

I've enjoyed his contributions to DVD extras. His commitment to getting the very best out of a limited budget was palpable. The success of the show is in no small part down to Ray Cusick.
I was watching The Daleks on DVD last night (coincedentally) and the productions notes said that before the Daleks were introduced BBC execs were having doubts about the show.
Verence is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2013, 08:06
The_Sleeper
Forum Member

Sad news ............ RIP Ray Cusick.
The_Sleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2013, 09:27
Hot Dogg
Forum Member

Oh that's sad.
Shame he didn't make it to the anniversary, to receive the richly deserved kudos that would undoubtedly have come his way for his iconic design.
Hot Dogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2013, 09:34
hornbeam
Forum Member

RIP Ray - those daleks were terrifying
hornbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2013, 09:53
AdelaideGirl
Forum Member

RIP thanks for the scares.

Must be wonderful to know that one of your designs has lasted 50 years and become iconic.
AdelaideGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2013, 16:17
HandsomeBB
Forum Member

RIP Ray.

The timings so sad but I'm sure An Adventure in Space and Time will be a fitting tribute to your work.
HandsomeBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2013, 19:28
TimeMyRelative
Forum Member

He was a BBC employee so his design belonged to them. He was never going to get any royalties. However, I think it's fabulous that his passing is being recognised so publicly after years and years of being ignored and the importance of his part in the show being generally dismissed.

RIP Dalek daddy
Yeah no one could tell just how much of a (particularly 1960s) phenomenon they would turn out to be. But I am not exactly knocking Nation either as he came up with Survivors and Blake's 7 which are amazing shows as well.

I will do a little looking around for pertinent obituaries - if you are saying that that was the ';recognition'?
TimeMyRelative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2013, 19:38
Bob Paisley
Forum Member

The BBC News obit report on Ray Cusick's death...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-21563484
Bob Paisley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2013, 22:02
AdelaideGirl
Forum Member

The guardian has a nice obituary which throws up a lot of what ifs. But I think as fans we did very well.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-rad...raymond-cusick
AdelaideGirl is offline   Reply With Quote