Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Phasing Out of DVD's

Old 23-02-2013, 23:40
fhs man 2
Forum Member

When do you think this will start, when will the discontinue they concept?
fhs man 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 23-02-2013, 23:47
diablo
Forum Member

When the demand falls off.
diablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2013, 00:54
emptybox
Forum Member

People are likely to use optical discs less and less, but I can't see myself throwing away my collection, unless economic circumstances dictate that I go and live in a shoe-box.
emptybox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2013, 01:14
Akane Tendo

The good thing with DVDs is that even if everything moves over to blu-ray you will still be able to play all your DVDS on your blu- ray player. Not as bad when betamax was discontinued and everyone went over to VHS.
Akane Tendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2013, 01:41
fhs man 2
Forum Member

The good thing with DVDs is that even if everything moves over to blu-ray you will still be able to play all your DVDS on your blu- ray player. Not as bad when betamax was discontinued and everyone went over to VHS.
I did not know until recently that you could use DVD's with them.
Old 24-02-2013, 02:07
gemma-the-husky
Forum Member

not only can you use them, i think a blu-ray makes em look better
gemma-the-husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2013, 07:59
Sue_Aitch
Forum Member

Some aren't bad CD payers either! http://www.which.co.uk/technology/tv...ers/page/faqs/
Sue_Aitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2013, 08:20
soulboy77
Forum Member

Interestingly with the rise of digital film downloads, the sales of Blu-ray disks has plateaued as well as seeing the gradual decline of DVD sales. Though DVDs still outsell Blu-ray 55% to 45%.

So we could see both formats heading for eventual discontinuation together, though it will be a while yet.
soulboy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2013, 11:34
mlayzell
Forum Member

Apple has already started the assort on disk formats with their new macs not having optical drive in them!

I think software box sets will soon be a thing of the past, yesterday downloaded my first digital copy of a Bly ray that i bought and associated it with ITunes, so now I have a copy on apples iCloud!

Like it or not the future seems to be digital copies, streaming and your film video library available from the cloud!
mlayzell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2013, 12:16
nanscombe
Forum Member

Plenty of third party, external optical media drives, even wireless ones.

Samsung PODD takes the optical drive wireless, lets PCs share
nanscombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2013, 12:36
BMR
Forum Member

I've still got a pile of VHS's which I've no intention of getting rid of. So I hope DVD is going nowhere soon.
BMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2013, 13:02
wakey
Forum Member

Interestingly with the rise of digital film downloads, the sales of Blu-ray disks has plateaued as well as seeing the gradual decline of DVD sales. Though DVDs still outsell Blu-ray 55% to 45%.

So we could see both formats heading for eventual discontinuation together, though it will be a while yet.
Not sure where you are getting your information from but apart from a couple of months of 2012 Bluray sold more units than the same month in 2011. And we are talking about double digit increases (10-20% in most months) which is a significant increase.
wakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2013, 14:23
David (2)
Forum Member

We must b lagging behind here in wilts, most supermarkets sell dvd with Just a tiny bluray selection.

Dont like the idea of having no discs at all. This means your broadband speed is critical. Some locations Still dont have it, or only in useless very slow form.
David (2) is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2013, 15:12
fhs man 2
Forum Member

I was in HMV and I noticed that the DVD and Blu-Ray covers for Skyfall were different the Blu-Ray one had more effort put into it, although strangely the only way you could tell that it was Blu-Ray was if you removed the cover. Are they trying to confuse consumers into buying Blu-Ray's by accident.

The Aberdeen HMV has a larger selection of DVD than Blu-Ray, but the music section had to suffer to fit the Blu-Ray's in.

I also noticed that they were showing Skyfall in full on a screen with sound but that was a different matter.
Old 24-02-2013, 15:37
grahamlthompson
Forum Member

I was in HMV and I noticed that the DVD and Blu-Ray covers for Skyfall were different the Blu-Ray one had more effort put into it, although strangely the only way you could tell that it was Blu-Ray was if you removed the cover. Are they trying to confuse consumers into buying Blu-Ray's by accident.

The Aberdeen HMV has a larger selection of DVD than Blu-Ray, but the music section had to suffer to fit the Blu-Ray's in.

I also noticed that they were showing Skyfall in full on a screen with sound but that was a different matter.
The blu-ray version includes a DVD which also has a installable version for portable devices like a tablet/smart phone. All for about 15.00
grahamlthompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2013, 16:21
fhs man 2
Forum Member

The blu-ray version includes a DVD which also has a installable version for portable devices like a tablet/smart phone. All for about 15.00
But if someone did not have a tablet computer and just had a dvd player.
Old 24-02-2013, 16:26
grahamlthompson
Forum Member

But if someone did not have a tablet computer and just had a dvd player.
Not sure what you are driving at. The extra disc plays back like any other DVD, if you don't want the digital copy all you have to do is forget it's there. It will install on a PC as well if you want to do that.
Old 24-02-2013, 16:27
cyril-furr
Inactive Member

not only can you use them, i think a blu-ray makes em look better
True, the upscaling within blu-ray players is often far better than alternatives.
cyril-furr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2013, 17:14
fhs man 2
Forum Member

Not sure what you are driving at. The extra disc plays back like any other DVD, if you don't want the digital copy all you have to do is forget it's there. It will install on a PC as well if you want to do that.
They could of bought the DVD for less money.
Old 24-02-2013, 17:24
grahamlthompson
Forum Member

They could of bought the DVD for less money.
And your point is

Why would someone wanting a blu-ray buy the DVD . The point is that if you buy the blu-ray they give you the DVD as well. Ideal to keep the kids happy in the car for instance (I have a portable dvd player).