Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Humax Digi Box ..any good?

Old 25-02-2013, 19:38
shirley222
Forum Member

Somebody has recommended this digi box and as I have had such a lot of duff ones lately I want to make sure this will be a good one..
Any advice please?
shirley222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 25-02-2013, 20:07
grahamlthompson
Forum Member

A clue as to which Humax digi box would help.
grahamlthompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2013, 21:59
gomezz
Forum Member

Five current models to choose from.
gomezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2013, 10:02
call100
Forum Member

Humax boxes are excellent......The HD=Fox T2 is the one to go for, or for a little more go for the YouView box for the added extras. (I've not used the YouView one).
My Humax has not set a foot wrong since buying it at launch a couple (I think!!) of years back. It's very rare I watch live TV these days....I had a non HD one before the T2 and that performed faultlessly also...
call100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2013, 10:50
gomezz
Forum Member

Well there is the rub. Some T2 users have tried the Youview box and gone back to the T2. Despite it having less catch up services they say it offers a better experience (helped by the availability of modded firmware which I doubt will ever be possible on the Youview box).

So the OP really needs to tell us more about what they want. We do not even know if they want a satellite or terrestrial box.
Old 26-02-2013, 12:46
shirley222
Forum Member

OOer!! Didn't know I had to be so precise!!

At the mo' I have a Bush HD LCD TV and the digi box I have is a Dion which is for recording and I just have Freeview.

Hope that makes more sense and can anyone advise which Humax I should buy? PLEASE!
Old 26-02-2013, 12:58
tealady
Forum Member

OP, when you say someone recommended me this box, you mean they recommended the brand?
Do you want to access FreeSat?
Do you want HD channels?
Do you want to record and keep a lot of programmes?
Do you want to view on Demand tv from the last 7 days?
What sort of speed do you get on your broadband connection?
tealady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2013, 13:01
chrisjr
Forum Member

At the mo' I have a Bush HD LCD TV and the digi box I have is a Dion which is for recording and I just have Freeview.

Hope that makes more sense and can anyone advise which Humax I should buy? PLEASE!
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Humax-HDR-FO...dp/B004BMB2XC/

All you need to know
chrisjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2013, 13:12
chrisbartley
Forum Member

But remember you can buy refurbed units direct from Humax at a saving

Under their "Managers Special" section

Cant tell them from new + warranty is included
chrisbartley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2013, 13:29
shirley222
Forum Member

OP, when you say someone recommended me this box, you mean they recommended the brand?
1/Do you want to access FreeSat?
2/Do you want HD channels?
3/Do you want to record and keep a lot of programmes?
4/Do you want to view on Demand tv from the last 7 days?
5/What sort of speed do you get on your broadband connection?
1/ No
2/ ?
3/ Yes
4/ ? .. Not really (?)
5/ No idea!?!

Lookin' good..Thankyou.

But remember you can buy refurbed units direct from Humax at a saving

Under their "Managers Special" section

Cant tell them from new + warranty is included
Thanks for that as well.

(Bye.the.way...what does OP mean,,Old Person! .. )
Old 26-02-2013, 13:36
gomezz
Forum Member

Sounds like the T2 is the one for you then.

OP = Original Poster aka Thread Starter
Old 26-02-2013, 13:37
Nigel Goodwin
Forum Member

(Bye.the.way...what does OP mean,,Old Person! .. )
Original Poster
Nigel Goodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2013, 14:31
call100
Forum Member

I already did....
call100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2013, 21:58
shirley222
Forum Member

I already did....
Thankyou! Yes I know I am exasperating..
Old 27-02-2013, 16:47
Sue_Aitch
Forum Member

I'd still try and get the present gear working properly rahter than upgrading if I were you, OP.
Sue_Aitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2013, 21:49
shirley222
Forum Member

I'd still try and get the present gear working properly rahter than upgrading if I were you, OP.
I would if it was possible but noone seems to think so and there is a problem with the sound as well. When I put the volume down it keeps cutting out all the time. TV man who looked at it said it was because the box was on the way out.
Old 27-02-2013, 22:38
lbear
Forum Member

I would if it was possible but noone seems to think so and there is a problem with the sound as well. When I put the volume down it keeps cutting out all the time. TV man who looked at it said it was because the box was on the way out.
Do you just want a new digi box so you can watch Freeview (including Freeview HD) or do you want to record as well?

You can get a Humax HD Fox T2-G (refurbished) from Humax Direct for 69. You can then add a USB hard drive for around 50 which will convert it to a single tuner recorder. This will access BBC iPlayer too.

If you do NOT want to record, but want access to BBC iPlayer, I strongly suggest you get one of these Technikas for 25 (you will need to get a 1 HDMI lead if you do not already have one). This will give you Freeview HD and the ability to access BBC iPlayer (a software upgrade may be needed, contact me for further advice if you get one). In my opinion, and I have both, the output picture is superior to the Humax, especially on the SD channels. It is also very sensitive and ideal for marginal reception areas.

The output picture on the Humax DTR T1000 (the Youview box) is again better, especially on SD channels, than the HD Fox T2. I have one but frankly if I had paid for it, it would have been returned for a refund. It has real stability problems, in part caused by the box "operating system" being down to Humax and the "program" coming from Youview. While I am sure these software glitches will be fixed in time, I would not recommend one at the moment. On the other hand, these sorts of early glitches are common with Freeview HD boxes and hopefully the new software engineers that Youview have advertised for should bulk up their team. The DTR T1000 is being replaced by the DTR 1010 which is effectively the same hardware in an updated case. The earlier models may well be available at a discount in the coming month or two so may be worthwhile investigating.
lbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2013, 23:55
shirley222
Forum Member

Ibear, I thank you for that info but I am really not able to doing the things you suggest.
I had just got to the point of deciding to get a Humax HDR-Fox T2 500GB Freeview + HD Digital TV Recorder.
I've put the full details in order not to have any confusion as to which one I mean altho', as I said before, most of the info is all foreign to me!..
It's not that I want to appear to be a spendthrift but not being tech minded I prefer to have it all done and dusted for me even tho' it might cost more.

So.. fact is that having been advised that this is a very good digi box I am now wondering if that is actually so!?! ..
Old 28-02-2013, 00:02
Catbed
Forum Member

shirley, HD is High Definition, as from SD which is Standard Definition. SD is the 'normal' stuff we've had for years, HD is much sharper (subject to having an HD TV and using the right connections). But there are only four HD channels of Freeview - BBC1, BBC HD, ITV1 and CH4.

The picture quality on our Fox T2 is excellent.
My wife can't even tell the difference between SD and HD, though I can - but it isn't huge, certainly on the better quality channels. (But of course the grot channels don't have HD anyway.)

Edit: typing at the same time. The HDR Fox T2 is a good box, but there are other ways to achieve some of what it does. Wanting it all packaged in one at a slight cost penalty is perfectly reasonable.
Catbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2013, 00:50
lbear
Forum Member

>>> Shirley, not at all I was going to go on to suggest you look at Humax's Manager's specials. They are currently doing their "A grade" HDR Fox T2 for 159.

You should note that the Manager's specials or A grades only have a 1 year warranty as opposed to Humax's normal 2 years.
lbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2013, 08:07
Sue_Aitch
Forum Member

So, to reference your earlier thread, were the messages about LCNs on the box or are you seeing them on your Bush TV when the box is on standby? If the latter it could be the RF cable that needs checking - see http://www.frequencycast.co.uk/freeviewadvice.html
Old 01-03-2013, 04:03
shirley222
Forum Member

So, to reference your earlier thread, were the messages about LCNs on the box or are you seeing them on your Bush TV when the box is on standby? If the latter it could be the RF cable that needs checking - see http://www.frequencycast.co.uk/freeviewadvice.html
If the box is on standby there is no picture (!?)
Will check the leads tomorrow..

However, have now bought the new box... next prob. ... getting it installed! ... ... Major effort required...
Old 01-03-2013, 07:23
Sue_Aitch
Forum Member

Is your TV connected up to an aerial so its Digital Tuner may be tuned in http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/howtoretu..._instructions?

Fear not about connecting up on your own: this is made much easier by using the guide on http://www.which.co.uk/static/flash/...n_jslocal.html orthose in your manuals should only take one cuppa!
Old 01-03-2013, 08:41
Sue_Aitch
Forum Member

Bit more background: http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbchd/what_is_hd.shtml
Old 01-03-2013, 09:58
Martin Liddle
Forum Member

However, have now bought the new box... next prob. ... getting it installed! ... ... Major effort required...
Assuming you purchased a Humax, it really should not be a major effort. Connect the aerial to the box, the box to the TV via HDMI lead or SCART lead, optionally run an aerial lead from the socket on the box to the TV aerial port (this allows you to watch programs via the TV with the box in standby); turn on the TV, turn on the box, it will ask you a few questions and away you go.
Martin Liddle is offline   Reply With Quote