Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Films that start well and end terribly

Old 02-03-2013, 15:57
Takae
Forum Member

Near Dark - great film, but the ending is such a cheap, dirty cop-out. So dirty that I wanted to shower in bleach after seeing it.

Sunshine - the first two parts were great, but the third part? Why, Boyle and Garland? Were you so high on a long hiatus that you had to add that moronic sub-plot to Sunshine? You'll never be forgiven for that. Never.

Get Carter - I do realise the ending is what makes the film so great, but I hate it. It's the location, really. I just couldn't see him as the sort that would take a leisurely stroll on the beach.

LA Confidential - I love and adore this film, but I still don't like the ending. It's Edmund and Bud's story, so why does it have to be about Edmund and Lynn? It doesn't make sense. Edmund and Bud were enemies at the start and in the end, it became "whatever"? Actually, the last fifteen minutes do the film a disservice, but it's that last scene that makes me want to gouge someone's eyes out.
Takae is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 02-03-2013, 23:16
mrcynical
Forum Member

The Abyss. Fantastic film, but for the last 5 minutes.
mrcynical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 01:27
downtonfan
Forum Member

Really?
So Misery, The Shawshank Redemption, The Green Mile, Carrie, Dolores Claiborne, The Shining all started out well and ended terribly?
Nope!
Well said!
downtonfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 01:29
downtonfan
Forum Member

Zombieland. Excellent first act but just ran out of steam after the Bill Murray cameo.
There's like 25 minutes left after his cameo is over...
downtonfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 02:25
cliffy91
Forum Member

Con Air
cliffy91 is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 12:28
chrono88
Forum Member

No Country for Old Men. I was just getting into it - then it just kinda ended - WFT?
That was what I first thought as well.
chrono88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 12:46
theonlyweeman
Forum Member

I'm going to be controversial and say Marvel's The Avengers/Avengers Assemble.

It had a good beginning, a fairly good middle (aside from the fact
Spoiler
is killed off having clocked less than a minutes worth of screen time), and then they introduce the aliens from another dimension, at which point it gets a bit too ridiculous. And I lose the will to live...

I know that's what the Avengers do, but superheros and demigods vs. aliens from another dimension sounds like an Asylum parody...
theonlyweeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 15:25
Dr. Linus
Forum Member

I'm going to be controversial and say Marvel's The Avengers/Avengers Assemble.

It had a good beginning, a fairly good middle (aside from the fact
Spoiler
is killed off having clocked less than a minutes worth of screen time), and then they introduce the aliens from another dimension, at which point it gets a bit too ridiculous. And I lose the will to live...

I know that's what the Avengers do, but superheros and demigods vs. aliens from another dimension sounds like an Asylum parody...
Gonna pick you up on a few points there:

1) The aliens are in the very first scene and feature prominently throughout, they don't come out of nowhere.

2) Greg Coulson features very prominently right from the first few scenes and interacts with all the main characters, and gets by far the most screen time of any of his appearances in the films.

So I don't really understand why it apparently goes pear-shaped midway through?
Dr. Linus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 16:05
theonlyweeman
Forum Member

Gonna pick you up on a few points there:

1) The aliens are in the very first scene and feature prominently throughout, they don't come out of nowhere.

2) Greg Coulson features very prominently right from the first few scenes and interacts with all the main characters, and gets by far the most screen time of any of his appearances in the films.

So I don't really understand why it apparently goes pear-shaped midway through?
1) The aliens appear in the opening scene? I remember the box being stolen, but I don't remember the aliens being visible in the first scene (or anyone explicitly mentioning aliens in the aftermath)...

2) I don't remember seeing him once during the first hour of the Avengers. It felt to me like they'd randomly brought a character on screen purely so they could kill him off, as an emotional catalyst for the rest of the film. (And it did strike me as bit weird, trying to make the audience upset about the death of character that had maybe 4 lines). [That's a side complaint, it wasn't really relevant to why I thought the ending was terrible]

I just thought the last 20 mins or so where the huge horde of aliens appeared was too ridiculous, and the film became a bit stupid. The whole idea of superheros and demigods vs. aliens felt a bit lacking, and it certainly wasn't helped by the fact the aliens were presence-less and about as terrifying as a potato...
Old 03-03-2013, 16:43
Muttley76
Forum Member

1) The aliens appear in the opening scene?
2) I don't remember seeing him once during the first hour of the Avengers.
Your memory of what happened in this film is very very poor judging by these comments.

Still, given that this is only film I can actually remember you commenting on in this forum, it clearly did make a very big impression on you.....
Muttley76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 17:26
theonlyweeman
Forum Member

Your memory of what happened in this film is very very poor judging by these comments.

Still, given that this is only film I can actually remember you commenting on in this forum, it clearly did make a very big impression on you.....
Yeah. I could probably do with a rewatch. I'm going to shut up now. It was probably just me being idiotic...

I strongly defended Looper, when all of its detractors crawled out of the woodwork.

I'm also the only person in the world willing to publicly admit they preferred Funny People to Knocked Up...

But yes, I do seem to spend quite of a bit of discussing it.
Old 03-03-2013, 17:29
Muttley76
Forum Member

Yeah. I could probably do with a rewatch. I'm going to shut up now. It was probably just me being idiotic...

I strongly defended Looper, when all of its detractors crawled out of the woodwork.

I'm also the only person in the world willing to publicly admit they preferred Funny People to Knocked Up...

But yes, I do seem to spend quite of a bit of discussing it.
A rewatch may not be a bad idea..

I like Looper too, it was one of my five favourite films of last year.
Old 03-03-2013, 17:38
SillyBillyGoat
Forum Member

The Village. Great premise ruined by
Spoiler

Insidious. Genuinely creepy until
Spoiler

Piranha 3D. I know it was never meant to be taken seriously, but the final scene was just too ridiculous and OTT, and was an omen for what was to come in that godawful sequel.
SillyBillyGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 17:40
Muttley76
Forum Member

The Village. Great premise ruined by
Spoiler
I actually really enjoyed The Village

Spoiler

and all!
Old 03-03-2013, 17:42
SillyBillyGoat
Forum Member

I actually really enjoyed The Village

Spoiler

and all!
I think it was just because of my expectations, so the reveal really let me down. I actually loved the film until then, I really liked the whole premise, the time period, everything until the end.
SillyBillyGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 18:11
Muttley76
Forum Member

I think it was just because of my expectations, so the reveal really let me down. I actually loved the film until then, I really liked the whole premise, the time period, everything until the end.
I think a lot of people share your view of The Village though, it's a bit of a guilty pleasure of mine...
Old 03-03-2013, 18:23
Alt-F4
Inactive Member

evolution

where they shove head and shoulders shampoo up a large brown blob's anus at the end.
Alt-F4 is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 21:45
TheIllusionist
Forum Member

How else could The Village have ended, may I ask? I thought it was a fairly good twist.
TheIllusionist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 21:58
Alt-F4
Inactive Member

How else could The Village have ended, may I ask? I thought it was a fairly good twist.
Yeah I agree it's the other way around, the ending made the film like with his other film sixth sense
Alt-F4 is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 22:22
Tarot
Forum Member

Zombieland. Excellent first act but just ran out of steam after the Bill Murray cameo.
Yes, same for me. I thought I would enjoy it when it starts with the tips on surviving a zombie attack but I'd lost interest by the time they meet Bill Murray.
Tarot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 22:22
Muttley76
Forum Member

I think the issue for a lot of people is that the shock ending thing that M. Night Shyamalan does had become grossly overused by that point.

It didn't really bother me, tbh, but I know it was widely panned for that by the critics.
Old 03-03-2013, 22:30
Nealewithane
Forum Member

Minority Report & A.I. - Both went on for 30 minutes longer than necessary. Okay, so A.I was pretty meh anyway, but Minority Report was good until Tom Cruise's character was freed from stasis and we had the typical Spielberg happy ending.

Falling Down - Good film right up until the moment they turned Michael Douglas's character from an ambiguous anti-hero to a bad guy stalking his ex-wife.

And I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Die Hard with a Vengeance yet...
Nealewithane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:51
Pob-Bundy
Forum Member

Near Dark - great film, but the ending is such a cheap, dirty cop-out. So dirty that I wanted to shower in bleach after seeing it.

I agree with this, the beginning of the movie had that perfect sense of atmosphere helped by Tangerine Dreams superbly dark music, the lame blood transfusion scene ruined it for me. Caleb and Mae should've died together in flames, more romantic.
Pob-Bundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 18:21
Pink Knight
Forum Member

Planet of The Apes (2001) not particulary great to begin with but the ending drags it down more.
April Fool's Day 1986, the ending makes me think why did I bother.
Haute Tension, verging on the nonsensical just to have a twist.
Pink Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 18:32
Hound of Love
Forum Member

Planet of The Apes (2001) not particulary great to begin with but the ending drags it down more.
April Fool's Day 1986, the ending makes me think why did I bother.
Haute Tension, verging on the nonsensical just to have a twist.
Beat me to it
Hound of Love is offline   Reply With Quote