Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

The Hobbit: Christopher Lee's final films?

Old 05-03-2013, 01:21
Dr. Linus
Forum Member

I'm such a huge fan of Christopher Lee, he's possibly my favourite actor, and it's broken my heart to see him suddenly decline in health recently. When he received his BAFTA Fellowship two years ago I was almost in tears when I saw how frail and haggard he was, especially given that he's always been so famously spry and full of life even as he's got old.

And then in the first Hobbit film I thought he really did look very old indeed, and even his voice seemed to be struggling. We know that all Christopher's scenes for the trilogy have been filmed, meaning he will almost certainly be in the third film, set for December 2014. But in my heart, I just can't see him surviving another two years to see it, and I certainly can't see him continuing to act at that point, by which time he'll be pushing 93.

So it seems quite possible to me that The Hobbit is Sir Christopher's final bow... does anyone know otherwise?
Dr. Linus is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 05-03-2013, 08:00
Mystical123
Forum Member

does anyone know otherwise?
how can anyone know? no-one can predict the future as far as I'm aware, so no-one knows whether anyone will get to make another movie or not or whether their time's up.

I'm sorry, but I don't really see the point of such a morbid thread!
Mystical123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:08
soulboy77
Forum Member

Do you really expect someone at the age of 90 to be skipping down the road?
soulboy77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 09:23
Ancient IDTV
Forum Member

I thought he gave a great performance as Saruman in the LOTR films, and when I heard he was going to be in The Hobbit trilogy I was looking forward to more of the same. Unfortunately, I agree with you. His Saruman in The Hobbit was a pale shadow of the character he portrayed in the LOTR films (and he's supposed to be younger in The Hobbit).
Ancient IDTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:01
JaiJai
Forum Member

I thought his Count Dooku was the most interesting character in the Star Wars prequel movies - definitely my favourite prequel character. Lee performed miracles with what he was given.
JaiJai is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 11:03
Dr. Linus
Forum Member

how can anyone know? no-one can predict the future as far as I'm aware, so no-one knows whether anyone will get to make another movie or not or whether their time's up.

I'm sorry, but I don't really see the point of such a morbid thread!
I meant if anyone knows of anything he's filmed (or will be filming) that will be released after December 2014.
Old 05-03-2013, 11:36
PunksNotDead
Forum Member

He recently released a heavy Metal album
PunksNotDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 12:04
Dr. Linus
Forum Member

I thought he gave a great performance as Saruman in the LOTR films, and when I heard he was going to be in The Hobbit trilogy I was looking forward to more of the same. Unfortunately, I agree with you. His Saruman in The Hobbit was a pale shadow of the character he portrayed in the LOTR films (and he's supposed to be younger in The Hobbit).
I don't think they covered it up particularly well either. You could tell they'd given him excessive make up of some sort to make him look like he did 10 years ago. Plus, during his scene all the other characters get up and walk around, and he stays sat in his chair. It's quite obvious he really struggled to fulfil his role, sadly. But I have so much respect for him for doing what he could for it.
Old 05-03-2013, 12:07
Dr. Linus
Forum Member

He recently released a heavy Metal album
Yeah, part of the reason I love him. Such a relentlessly cool guy. and I suppose it's encouraging that he's still doing that kind of stuff.
Old 05-03-2013, 17:13
Ancient IDTV
Forum Member

I don't think they covered it up particularly well either. You could tell they'd given him excessive make up of some sort to make him look like he did 10 years ago. Plus, during his scene all the other characters get up and walk around, and he stays sat in his chair. It's quite obvious he really struggled to fulfil his role, sadly. But I have so much respect for him for doing what he could for it.
Yes, he just sits there with a fixed stare and rambles on in a wavering voice in the background. I felt sorry for him.
Ancient IDTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 18:01
Delboy219
Forum Member

I think he still had a bit of a presence in The Hobbit.

It would have been a lesser film without his appearance.
Delboy219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 18:23
JCR
Forum Member

The other actors were in New Zealand, Lee was in a studio in London.
JCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 18:23
degsyhufc
Forum Member

There's a film listed as In Development on his IMDB page
degsyhufc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 18:45
Big Boy Barry
Forum Member

Let's not bury the poor guy before he's even dead.

He was in HUGO not long ago. He hasn't been limited to LOTR
Big Boy Barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 15:10
Conall Cearnach
Forum Member

Let's not bury the poor guy before he's even dead.

He was in HUGO not long ago. He hasn't been limited to LOTR
Indeed! I'd like for his swansong to be in one of the new Hammer productions, that would be fitting.
Conall Cearnach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 16:17
Dr. Linus
Forum Member

Can I just make it clear that as much as I may have worded it that way, I'm not speculating about when the poor man's going to die, I'm speculating about when he will retire, which I think will be some time this year, meaning The Hobbit 3 would almost certainly be his last released film. BUT knowing his work rate it's very likely those two events will coincide, so it's ended up sounding a bit morbid....
Old 06-03-2013, 18:02
Lathamite
Forum Member

But what do you want us to contribute to this thread beyond " Huh, you're right, he might die soon"

Sorry, is that disrespectful? Well, so is this thread.
Lathamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2013, 18:43
degsyhufc
Forum Member

Don't know about his final films but it seems he had some music in him that he wanted to get out

Actor Sir Christopher Lee has recorded a heavy metal album. The veteran actor, best known for his role as Saruman in Lord of the Rings, will release the album called Charlemange: The Omens of Death, on May 27, his 91st birthday.

The album is the second of his music career, and was recorded with Judas Priest guitarist Richie Faulkner as a follow-up to his first album Charlemange: By the Sword and the Cross.
http://www.itv.com/news/2013-05-24/s...y-metal-album/
degsyhufc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2013, 22:08
NP73
Forum Member

I'm sure I recall an interview a few years ago where he stated he had no intention of retiring. Film roles are likely to get shorter though, partly due to him slowing up physically, but largely for insurance purposes - were he to pass away during a long shoot, the film might have to be reshot (unless there was sufficient in the can to make digital construction a possibility a la Oliver Reed in Gladiator).

Other actors who lived long lives, such as John Gielgud and John Mills tended to do short cameos in films towards the end.
NP73 is offline   Reply With Quote