Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Question about Kinect and the System Update needed

Old 06-03-2013, 12:28
JasonWatkins
Forum Member

Ok, now I fully accept that there's probably nothing I can do here but I'm going to ask anyway in case someone does know something clever.

I have a 250gb Xbox Slim that I bought from my local Cash Generators a few months ago. When I bought it, I discovered it was banned from XBL. I took it back and they offered me a console that wasn't banned or they said I could keep this console and they'd give me a partial refund on it and half a dozen games or blu-rays of my choice, so since I don't play on XBL and couldn't afford it anyway, I chose the latter and I've been quite happy ever since.

Now I recently saw a good offer in GAME for a 2nd hand Kinect with no PSU and two Kinect games so I went for it, assuming it was literally a case of plug and play. Just got it and plugged it in and, invariably, I need to go to XBL for a system update.

Now this is obviously not possible due to the console being banned, so I'm wondering if there's any way around it ?

I've seen some dashboard updates floating around online which i'm willing to try if it means I can get the Kinect working, but obviously I wouldn't want to brick the console or anything like that. Even banned, it still works fine so is still probably sellable.

Worst case scenario, I can take it to CEX for exchange and probably get the new Tomb Raider game so in that respect, I wouldn't mind so much. I doubt I can return it to game as there's most likely nothing wrong with it.

So any ideas would be most welcome - thankyou

#edit

Hold that thought .. I appear to be able to download the latest update from the Microsoft Website.. trying it now ..

#edit 2

Panic over .. update installed and Kinect working perfectly. Nothing to see here
JasonWatkins is online now Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 06-03-2013, 17:02
Daveoc64
Forum Member

Just for future reference, the latest console update (including support for accessories like Kinect) should always be available as a free download on:

http://www.xbox.com/en-GB/update

As noted here, it can even be installed on a console that has been banned from Xbox LIVE.
Daveoc64 is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 17:34
JasonWatkins
Forum Member

Thanks for that - i'll make sure to keep an eye on it. Another thing that the update actually managed to do was to restore the Avatar I'd created before I initially found out about the ban. So at least it looks a bit better than the grey blob I had
JasonWatkins is online now Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote