Heavy Metal/ Hard Rock

dodger0703dodger0703 Posts: 1,957
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Have created this thred due to 'peer pressure' :D

There a lot of us rockers still about and thought we deserved a thread of our own instead of having to trawl through all the pop ones.

Now what to start off with...hmmmm

Well i am looking forward the new Clutch album and also to seeing Megadeth for the first time in June

Comments

• richcleverrichclever Posts: 12,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good chap you!

Not normally into the really heavy stuff and normally listen to things like the Wildhearts and the Dogs D'amour but really like Feed the Rhino (I know the singer) and the new Ginger stuff (Mutation and the Hey Hello albums on PledgeMusic). The Mutation stuff is a lot heavier than the Wildhearts but great whilst the Hey Hello stuff is not so heavy and again great stuff.
  • Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm more in to the Prog/Symphonic end of the spectrum these days, so the likes of Within Temptation, Delain, Riverside, Nightwish, etc.

The next gig for me is Halestorm on Sunday in Cardiff so really looking forward to that!
  • RocketpopRocketpop Posts: 1,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw Me (or The Me Band) at The Barfly, London on Tuesday evening - good stuff. They are from Australia and play theratrical rock music, got chatting to a couple of the members after the gig and got them to sign my T-Shirt, nice guys.
  • highwayman_nehighwayman_ne Posts: 486
    Forum Member
    richclever wrote: »
    Good chap you!

Not normally into the really heavy stuff and normally listen to things like the Wildhearts and the Dogs D'amour but really like Feed the Rhino (I know the singer) and the new Ginger stuff (Mutation and the Hey Hello albums on PledgeMusic). The Mutation stuff is a lot heavier than the Wildhearts but great whilst the Hey Hello stuff is not so heavy and again great stuff.

I saw Ginger supporting The Darkness earlier in the week. Couldn't warm to them mainly because of the off putting female backing singer who looked soooo out of place with a rock band - she looked like she should be in an amateur dramatics production of Grease.:confused:
  • devo livedevo live Posts: 729
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dodger0703 wrote: »

Well i am looking forward the new Clutch album and also to seeing Megadeth for the first time in June

I don't listen to a lot of contemporary rock and metal, basically as it doesn't do a lot for me. But I'm very much looking forward to the new Clutch album as well. I need to stock up on their back catalogue, but I do have all the studio albums from Pure Rock Fury onwards. To be honest I thought Strange Cousins From the West wasn't quite up to their usual standard, but still enjoyable.

It's hard to choose between Blast Tyrant, Robot Hive/Exodus and From Beale Street to Oblivion as their best album. All three are excellent. Also I was pleasantly surprised a couple of years back watching Ace of Cakes to find out Neil Fallon's sister Mary Alice is a member of staff. So Clutch appeared on an episode :).

The new track 'Earth Rocker' is in full on YouTube. And awesome it is too :D.

I saw Megadeth back on the Clash of the Titans tour in 1990. I was mainly there for Slayer at the time, but Megadeth were really good.
  • dodger0703dodger0703 Posts: 1,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    devo live wrote: »
    I don't listen to a lot of contemporary rock and metal, basically as it doesn't do a lot for me. But I'm very much looking forward to the new Clutch album as well. I need to stock up on their back catalogue, but I do have all the studio albums from Pure Rock Fury onwards. To be honest I thought Strange Cousins From the West wasn't quite up to their usual standard, but still enjoyable.

It's hard to choose between Blast Tyrant, Robot Hive/Exodus and From Beale Street to Oblivion as their best album. All three are excellent. Also I was pleasantly surprised a couple of years back watching Ace of Cakes to find out Neil Fallon's sister Mary Alice is a member of staff. So Clutch appeared on an episode :).

The new track 'Earth Rocker' is in full on YouTube. And awesome it is too :D.

I saw Megadeth back on the Clash of the Titans tour in 1990. I was mainly there for Slayer at the time, but Megadeth were really good.

Has to be Blast Tyrant for me, although one band shouldnt be allowed to have so many good riffs on one album :D
  • ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    Woah, just noticed this thread.

Most threads about hard rock seem to disappear pretty quickly - lost in the MOR/pop morass on here.

We need a 'meeting place' for posters who prefer music with more balls \m/
  • crazymonkcrazymonk Posts: 1,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What do you guys think of Devin Townsend?
    Forum Member
    crazymonk wrote: »
    What do you guys think of Devin Townsend?

I've never heard of him tbh. Do you have any links to his stuff?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ziltoidia Attaxx!!!
    Kingdom
    Ki

His music is quite diverse though, it's not just your usual metal for me and he has a great voice and I also enjoy his more tranquil ones.

He also has a band by the name Strapping Young Lad that are really loud!:D:cool:
    Forum Member
    Ziltoidia Attaxx!!!
    Kingdom
    Ki

His music is quite diverse though, it's not just your usual metal for me and he has a great voice and I also enjoy his more tranquil ones.

He also has a band by the name Strapping Young Lad that are really loud!:D:cool:

Very interesting, isn't he? You really can't pin him down, can you? Those tracks are all very different, aren't they?

Kingdom is just begging to be covered by Van Canto. Please someone, make this happen :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glad you enjoyed him! :D
    Forum Member
    Glad you enjoyed him! :D

The first track, I was thinking 'oh, a metal Eno'. Then kingdom was so different. I'm still listening to the third one. He has an amazing voice. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He is quite something, glad you agree. :)

The end bit of Ki sounds similar to Enya! :eek::D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One more of Dev, prepare for further confusion! :D

Trainfire
    Forum Member
    One more of Dev, prepare for further confusion! :D

Trainfire

Right - eight seconds in & I'm thinking Golden Earring - Radar Love. Let's see what it develops into. I'll be back :D

43 seconds - he's turned into Elvis :eek:

Now it's gone all skiffle/metal/blues :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LOL!! He is a true artist, just throws it all into the fire, I love that he has so many influences, never gets boring, love him! :D
    Forum Member
    LOL!! He is a true artist, just throws it all into the fire, I love that he has so many influences, never gets boring, love him! :D

I haven't heard anything this eclectic since the first Roxy Music album. the mix of genres & influences is quite something.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hope to make a fan out of you! :D To be honest I'm only discovering him properly since late last year even though I knew about him since 2011.
  • axlgodaxlgod Posts: 658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Check out Ghost B.C.
    Possibly the most talked about band at the moment.
    Forum Member
    Hope to make a fan out of you! :D To be honest I'm only discovering him properly since late last year even though I knew about him since 2011.

We'll see. He'll have to be pretty special to drag me away from my beloved Sabaton though :)
    Forum Member
    axlgod wrote: »
    Check out Ghost B.C.
    Possibly the most talked about band at the moment.

Talked about or hyped?

Post some links then :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Electra wrote: »
    We'll see. He'll have to be pretty special to drag me away from my beloved Sabaton though :)

Oh I'll have to check them at some point! :D It's just nice talking to someone about good music for a change! :p
    Forum Member
    Oh I'll have to check them at some point! :D It's just nice talking to someone about good music for a change! :p

Doesn't the general music conversation on here make you feel like running into a wall at times? :D
  • axlgodaxlgod Posts: 658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Electra wrote: »
    Talked about or hyped?

Post some links then :)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=2idy7TiByrA

I love music, predominately rock music, but I became bored with it. For some reason, I can't quite put my finger on, this band struck a chord with me.
    The image this band has, doesn't fit with the music they play.
    Check wiki out to read about them.