Options

Hearing in person for the first time somebody saying that they have cancer

goldframedoorgoldframedoor Posts: 1,649
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Whilst I was on the bus on the way to work, for the first time ever in my life, I overheard somebody say in person that they have got cancer! :( (Obviously, I have heard people on TV make an announcement that they have got cancer and even read on website such as this one that well known people have got cancer, but I have never, ever in my life actually been near somebody and overheard them say they have got cancer). This person was elderly, but he looked very healthy indeed. This was despite the fact that he said he had prostate cancer at an advanced stage, and he was constantly having to go for checkups and treatment sessions.

Despite me obviously not even knowing this person, I felt like I had been punched in the stomach because it being the first ever time in my life I have ever heard anybody in person say that they have got cancer of any type! :(

Can you remember how exactly you felt the first ever time you heard somebody say that they have got cancer, either somebody you know like somebody in your family for example, or somebody you don't know?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,223
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whilst I was on the bus on the way to work, for the first time ever in my life, I overheard somebody say in person that they have got cancer! :( (Obviously, I have heard people on TV make an announcement that they have got cancer and even read on website such as this one that well known people have got cancer, but I have never, ever in my life actually been near somebody and overheard them say they have got cancer). This person was elderly, but he looked very healthy indeed. This was despite the fact that he said he had prostate cancer at an advanced stage, and he was constantly having to go for checkups and treatment sessions.

Despite me obviously not even knowing this person, I felt like I had been punched in the stomach because it being the first ever time in my life I have ever heard anybody in person say that they have got cancer of any type! :(

Can you remember how exactly you felt the first ever time you heard somebody say that they have got cancer, either somebody you know like somebody in your family for example, or somebody you don't know?

I've heard it a few times. How or what I feel is hard to describe but regarding them looking well. You should never judge a person by their looks.
    I look healthy and happy but I have renal failure. Not all sick people are stuck in a bed white as a sheet. :)
  • Options
    TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember like it was yesterday, as my mum had a stroke 3 days ago and the results from the MRI and CT scan yesterday showed she has a cancerous tumour in her brain.

But the prognosis is very good so we have high hope for a full recovery.
  • Options
    malpascmalpasc Posts: 9,651
    Forum Member
    I can still remember my dad telling me he had terminal cancer (he died of pancreatic cancer) about 6 weeks before he actually passed away.

Although we all knew he was ill, and I had my suspicions it was going to be cancer, actually hearing it, nothing really prepares you for it. I felt sad, shocked, angry, upset..
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Twice.

- a guest's boyfriend at a dinner party admitted he had stomach cancer. I wondered now and then if he had survived.

- a school-friend's mother breaking the news to her at school that she had breast cancer. They were alone in the visitors room, but it was next door to the library where we could hear their conversation through an old air vent. Thankfully, she beat her two-year battle.
  • Options
    Uncle FesterUncle Fester Posts: 15,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sat next to my dear wife , holding her hand when the consultant told her she had leukaemia , it was heart breaking , we had four more years together , I still miss her so much :cry:
  • Options
    adopteradopter Posts: 11,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My dad was diagnosed with cancer in October and died yesterday morning.

I wasn't particularly fearful of the word beforehand but it certainly doesn't bother me anymore.
  • Options
    Uncle FesterUncle Fester Posts: 15,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    adopter wrote: »
    My dad was diagnosed with cancer in October and died yesterday morning.

I wasn't particularly fearful of the word beforehand but it certainly doesn't bother me anymore.

Sorry for your sad loss :(
  • Options
    Teddybear99Teddybear99 Posts: 6,077
    Forum Member
    Sat next to my dear wife , holding her hand when the consultant told her she had leukaemia , it was heart breaking , we had four more years together , I still miss her so much :cry:

Sending out a hug for Uncle Fester :(
  • Options
    Smithy1204Smithy1204 Posts: 4,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some very sad stories here, sorry to all of you who have lost someone, nothing can prepare you for the feeling of hearing that.

For me, it was my mum, she was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer in March 2010 and she died 17 months later, in August 2011. I got home from uni for the Easter holidays, went up to my bedroom to unpack, and my mum came to tell me. I remember the look on her face more than anything, she was devastated. We sat on my bed while she told me what they'd said and we just cried. It's a horrible feeling, there's nothing you can do to make it ok, it's just terror.