Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Will the BBC show any classic Dr Who episodes this year, as they did in 1993?

Old 08-03-2013, 17:20
tiggerpooh
Forum Member

I'm hoping that the BBC do this, maybe on BBC4 or on BBC2, as the show turns 50 in the late Autumn.

BBC2 showed a few episodes of various stories in 1993, when Dr Who turned 30, so I hope they do the same this time.

I'm not sure they will do, as a lot of stories from every Doctor, are now available on DVD and on YouTube.

Who knows? We are getting a documentary about the first 6 years of the show, set between 1963-1969. Harry Potter star David Bradley and the League of Gentlemen's Reece Shearsmith are playing the first two Doctors.
tiggerpooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 08-03-2013, 17:42
CoalHillJanitor
Forum Member

They showed The Hand of Fear on BBC4 after we lost Lis Sladen, so clearly they're not categorically against it.
CoalHillJanitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 17:49
roland rat
Inactive Member

There is some of the old series on BBC ondemand, mostly the episodes as before, but there is a new addtion

Genisis of the daleks
roland rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 19:04
Meisste
Forum Member

BBC2 repeat old Dad's Army on Saturday Nights around 7pm. I wish they would show Classic Who at this time aswell. I think series 12 would be an ideal start.

Unfortunatly I think the BBC might be worried that the old show might ruin the new shows glossy brand, which is ridiculous IMO.

In an ideal world It would be nice for BBC2 to have a 50th celebration season on the run up to the 50th. A bit like the 5 faces of Doctor Who but the 11 faces instead. I would plump for these stories being shown.

An Unearthly Child
The Tomb of the Cybermen
The Daemons
Terror of the Zygons
The Five Doctors
The Caves of Androzani
Revelation of the Daleks
Remembrance of the Daleks
The TV Movie
The Empty Child/ The Doctor Dances
Silence In the Library/ Forest of the Dead
Flesh and Stone/ The Time of the Angels

Its never going to happen though
Meisste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 19:24
CoalHillJanitor
Forum Member

BBC2 repeat old Dad's Army on Saturday Nights around 7pm. I wish they would show Classic Who at this time aswell. I think series 12 would be an ideal start.

Unfortunatly I think the BBC might be worried that the old show might ruin the new shows glossy brand, which is ridiculous IMO.

In an ideal world It would be nice for BBC2 to have a 50th celebration season on the run up to the 50th. A bit like the 5 faces of Doctor Who but the 11 faces instead. I would plump for these stories being shown.

An Unearthly Child
The Tomb of the Cybermen
The Daemons
Terror of the Zygons
The Five Doctors
The Caves of Androzani
Revelation of the Daleks
Remembrance of the Daleks
The TV Movie
The Empty Child/ The Doctor Dances
Silence In the Library/ Forest of the Dead
Flesh and Stone/ The Time of the Angels

Its never going to happen though
(hypothetically of course)

The Five Doctors would work better if the First Doctor story were The Dalek Invasion of Earth.
CoalHillJanitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 20:45
Shawn_Lunn
Forum Member

It'd be nice if BBC4 did but at this point, we don't know.
Shawn_Lunn is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 21:25
jrmswfc
Forum Member

I'm sure there was a weekend dedicated to classic Who a few years ago, possibly for the 40th anniversary (although it doesn't seem as long as 10 years ago!). I think it may have been on GOLD rather than the BBC, not 100% sure though.

Even in that weekend, it was annoying that they still showed the same stories multiple times. Some of the stories (in omnibus form) that I definitely remember them showing were:

Deadly Assassin
Logopolis
Caves of Androzani
The Two Doctors
The Movie

I just wish they'd go back to showing some Classic Who omnibuses in the early hours of Sunday mornings or something (Sky boxes make the timing not a problem) like they used to a few years back.

Edit - done some Googling and that weekend was actually in 2007 and was on UKTV Drama.
jrmswfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 21:57
davrosdodebird
Forum Member

BBC3 will be showing the "Doctor Who Revisited" series they are doing in America
davrosdodebird is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 22:09
kyllerbuzcut
Forum Member

That well be good.any idea when?
kyllerbuzcut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 16:29
davrosdodebird
Forum Member

Radio Times says mentioned "BBC3 Documentaries" for this november, apparently this will be the revisiteds
Old 09-03-2013, 17:35
tiggerpooh
Forum Member

Radio Times says mentioned "BBC3 Documentaries" for this november, apparently this will be the revisiteds
Thank you! We should get these on DVD early next year, hopefully, if they're being shown in the UK.

Any idea when Mark Gattis's 'Who' biopic is to be shown in the UK? I did read on the internet last month that the BBC were thinking of showing this in October, although nothing was finalised.
tiggerpooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 19:13
davrosdodebird
Forum Member

I would love it to be shown on the 23rd of november, it would only be appropriate!
Old 09-03-2013, 19:43
Mrfipp
Forum Member

BBCAmerica is doing a series called "Doctor Who Revisited", which is a monthly special leading up to the 50t. Each episode highlights an incarnation of the Doctor, and then plays one of their stories. So far we've had "The Aztecs", and "Tomb of the Cybermen". I'm hoping that "The Claws of Axos", "The Ribos Operation", "Kinda", "Vengeance on Varos", and "Remembrance of the Daleks" play as well.
Mrfipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 23:04
Tom Tit
Forum Member

Wouldn't it be nice if they showed the episodes of The Underwater Menace and Galaxy 4 that were found last year, perhaps on a digital channel, just before the special is aired. It would be something genuinely special: classic Doctor Who that most people have never seen, and it would also be a nice way to include the first Two Doctors in the anniversary, who obviously cannot be involved in any other capacity.

Sadly, I can't see this happening as they would rather keep them exclusive for DVD, because they make money from them that way.
Tom Tit is offline   Reply With Quote