Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Joe Orton

Old 13-03-2013, 22:19
21stCenturyBoy
Forum Member

Read Loot a while ago (and absolutely loved it), and always intended to read a few more of his plays.

Anyone have any recommendations/ general thoughts on Joe Orton?
21stCenturyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 13-03-2013, 22:23
lesleyanne
Forum Member

What the Butler Saw is classic Orton.

If you're interested in Orton, the biography Prick Up Your Ears by John Lahr is a really interesting read.
lesleyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2013, 22:25
lesleyanne
Forum Member

Forgot to say, Entertaining Mr Sloane is really good too.
lesleyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2013, 22:55
21stCenturyBoy
Forum Member

Thanks for the recommendations- What The Butler Saw sounds particularly good.

Will also take a look at the biography.
21stCenturyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2013, 13:30
Hogzilla
Forum Member

Read Loot a while ago (and absolutely loved it), and always intended to read a few more of his plays.

Anyone have any recommendations/ general thoughts on Joe Orton?
Read John Lahr's 'Prick Up Your Ears' and you will gather from that, what to read next! It's one of the best biographies ever written, I think.
Hogzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2013, 16:48
bugloss
Forum Member

you could try the films of Loot and Entertaining Mr Sloane. They're groovy Swinging 60s type films, which you may find irritating. Harry Andrews is great though in EMS
bugloss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2013, 16:56
stud u like
Forum Member

"Because We're Queers: the Life and Crimes of Kenneth Halliwell and Joe Orton" by Simon Shepherd is a good book to read.

I have seen "Loot" and "Entertaining Mr Sloane" on stage

I have seen "What The Butler Saw" on television. It is my favourite and rather annoyingly has not been put on DVD.

I bought "Fred And Madge" ages ago. I found "Head To Toe" in a charity shop last week.
stud u like is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2013, 16:57
TelevisionUser
Forum Member

What the Butler Saw is classic Orton.

If you're interested in Orton, the biography Prick Up Your Ears by John Lahr is a really interesting read.
In addition, there are these two websites here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Orton
http://www.joeorton.org/Pages/Joe_Orton_Life14.html

plus it's possible to buy his diaries now and copies of his other works (see http://www.sainsburysentertainment.c..._source=google). It's unfortunate to say the least that his creative life was cut short by his senseless murder by his partner.
TelevisionUser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2013, 12:58
Laurel1001
Forum Member

I did my dissertation on Joe Orton. Great writer. His diaries are very illuminating! I saw wtbs on stage, loved it. He lived an odd life, got up at dawn and bed at dusk to not use any electric. He was good friends with Kenneth Williams. Yes his lover was jealous of Orton and his success and if I'm right, bludgeoned him to death with a hammer? Charming. X
Laurel1001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2013, 23:07
Hogzilla
Forum Member

I did my dissertation on Joe Orton. Great writer. His diaries are very illuminating! I saw wtbs on stage, loved it. He lived an odd life, got up at dawn and bed at dusk to not use any electric. He was good friends with Kenneth Williams. Yes his lover was jealous of Orton and his success and if I'm right, bludgeoned him to death with a hammer? Charming. X
Orton's death is one of the first news stories I remember. We were on holiday and I heard it on the radio. Something about it captured my imagination, although I was only a kid.
Hogzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2013, 10:11
dollylovesshoes
Forum Member

Joe Orton and his partner defaced a few library books at the Islington Library, I believe they are on show.

https://www.martineve.com/2012/01/14...ington-museum/
dollylovesshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2013, 12:31
gboy

The Orton Diaries are well worth a read - like the Kenneth Williams Diaries only MUCH more explicit!

They offer a fascinating insight into life in the London theatre scene in the 1960s (as well as the London cottaging scene - not to mention Morocco....).

It also gives a detailed look at his deteriorating relationship with Kenneth Halliwell, which so obviously ended in such tragedy.
gboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2013, 00:24
jackbell
Forum Member

I was obsessed by Joe Orton for a short time after I saw the film of Prick Up Your Ears. Bought the biography, the diary, the plays everything. Must have a re-read sometime.

I even went to see the play of Entertaining Mr Sloan (with Barbara Windsor as 'Kath') in 1993.
jackbell is offline   Reply With Quote