Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Tomb Raider new game

Old 15-03-2013, 08:56
Danny_Smith
Inactive Member

Is anyone else angry the way they changed Tomb Raider format?

I don't like the new look, why on earth did they change it? its so sad that the new Lara croft doesn't look like the previous Lara all them years ago
Danny_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 15-03-2013, 10:28
CSI-uk
Forum Member

Lara herself looks great, the Lara from yesteryear was all boobs.

As for game, I think this Tomb Raider is just as good today as the original was back in the day. Sometimes I think people forget this is a reboot not a remake, they've updated the franchise and imo they've done a very good job.
CSI-uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2013, 12:54
TommyNooka
Forum Member

I also think it's great, this is far and away the most fun I have had with the franchise. Some of the old TR games weren't really entertainment at all, more an experiment in frustration....imo!!
TommyNooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 23:44
QuidditchBabe
Forum Member

Bringing up an old thread because I've just played it, I too hate the new look and voice of Lara. It seems they've "Americanized" her. She's almost unrecognisable.

She also moans and grunts at every little thing now, and lots of screaming. That wasn't the tough Lara I knew. And the whole "I can do this!" whispers she would make made me cringe. She also swears now, I always imagined her as very elegant beforehand.

Love the graphics of the game, just disappointed with the new Lara.

Ah, I just saw on wiki that "In 2013, the series was rebooted a second time with the game Tomb Raider, which retold the story of Lara's origins and began a new continuity."

That makes me feel a bit more satisfied as I was crying out at the continuity crimes that were being committed.
QuidditchBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 23:54
MGS4SnakeRulez
Forum Member

Nope. I like it.
MGS4SnakeRulez is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 00:57
Naa_KwaKai
Forum Member

Bringing up an old thread because I've just played it, I too hate the new look and voice of Lara. It seems they've "Americanized" her. She's almost unrecognisable.
Elaborate. Sounds more British than ever.

She also moans and grunts at every little thing now, and lots of screaming. That wasn't the tough Lara I knew. And the whole "I can do this!" whispers she would make made me cringe. She also swears now, I always imagined her as very elegant beforehand.
This is an origin story. She's not the confident Lara Craft we all know and love, she's basically a young girl learning to survive in extremely violent circumstances. I personally found this version of Lara to be much more realistic and well written rather than the posh caricature with unrealistically huge tits in previous games.

I for one loved the game and couldn't put the controller down. It reminded me a lot of Arkham Asylum and Far Cry 3.
Naa_KwaKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 01:14
seanf
Forum Member

I loved it, and hope they make another. one thing that got me was whe only had 1 hand gun I was all ways waiting for her to find another gun so we could have the unmistakable dual desert eagle's. oh and the weapon upgrade was a bit much turning and old sten gun into a silenced ak, and an shot gun in to spas 12.
seanf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 01:35
stefmeister
Forum Member

Was never really a fan of the old Tomb Raider games, I played them all at one point or another but never really got into them although I did enjoy some of the later one's more than the earlier games.

The recent re-boot however I love, A friend brought it round here with him & I played it for a few hours & ended up buying it off him so I could play though it although I never actually got round to completing it.

Its also getting a PS4/Xbox One make-over in a few weeks.
stefmeister is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 04:02
QuidditchBabe
Forum Member

Elaborate. Sounds more British than ever.

This is an origin story. She's not the confident Lara Craft we all know and love, she's basically a young girl learning to survive in extremely violent circumstances. I personally found this version of Lara to be much more realistic and well written rather than the posh caricature with unrealistically huge tits in previous games.

I for one loved the game and couldn't put the controller down. It reminded me a lot of Arkham Asylum and Far Cry 3.
I think she sounds less British. She has more of an American look than she previously did, in my opinion.

Like I said in the above post, I've since realised this is an origin story. I loved the posh caricature though, she was so elegant despite being tough-as-boots and I loved her background. I have to say I too am finding it difficult to put the controller down.
QuidditchBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 08:40
RoryWatchesTV
Forum Member

I thought the new game was the best since the PS1 days myself, it's a very well made action/adventure game with a much more "real" Lara and an interesting plot as well as feeling much more current generation than the other recent Tomb Raider games which largely look, feel and play like PS2 games still, and the franchise has badly need this reboot since the PS2 as well tbh, The Last Revelation was the last really great Tomb Raider before this one imo.
RoryWatchesTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 11:24
MsLurker
Forum Member

One of the games of 2013 for me. I really hope they do a sequel.
MsLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 14:54
Woodbine
Forum Member

I never really was a Tomb Raider fan so maybe that's why I loved the reboot, it's more grown up and grittier and gameplay and story were brilliant I thought.
Woodbine is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 14:58
Matt D
Forum Member

I had rose tinted memories of playing the original on the PlayStation many years ago, and bought Anniversary, Legend, and Underworld for the Xbox 360... I played Anniversary for a while and got so bored I gave up and never bothered with the others.

But the 2013 reboot... Loved it! One of my favourite games of 2013 (after The Last of Us, GTA V, BioShock Infinite). The supporting characters were rather weak compared to those in the Uncharted games, but Lara herself was great and the game gripped me all the way unlike Anniversary.
Matt D is online now Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 17:38
LightningIguana
Forum Member

I miss the emptiness of vast tombs and puzzles over shooting. But I don't miss running around with old polygon boobs.
LightningIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 18:08
Woodbine
Forum Member

I miss the emptiness of vast tombs and puzzles over shooting. But I don't miss running around with old polygon boobs.
I know the title say's 'Tomb Raider' but it is an origin story.

I liked how at the start you hear her saying 'I hate Tombs' but at the end you gradually see her becoming Lara like we know her.

I suspect we will see more tombs in the sequel.
Woodbine is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 22:26
LightningIguana
Forum Member

I know the title say's 'Tomb Raider' but it is an origin story.

I liked how at the start you hear her saying 'I hate Tombs' but at the end you gradually see her becoming Lara like we know her.

I suspect we will see more tombs in the sequel.
I hope so. I'm just not much of a guns blazing kind of gamer (mostly because I'm a terrible shot in a tight situation)
LightningIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 22:36
silentNate
Forum Member

One of the games of 2013 for me. I really hope they do a sequel.
My game of 2013

So deserves a play through

Really hoping that we get dinosaurs in the next one
silentNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 09:19
mikey86uk
Forum Member

Need a price though.

Although i didn't buy this on the 360, I'm not sure i want to pay 50 for a better looking game that currently costs 15 on the 360/PS3.
mikey86uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 12:41
Doctorb
Forum Member

Since TR4 the game has drifted away from its gameplay roots and centred around Lara and decreasing the exploration, puzzles and how the environment is negotiated. The new games now have little exploration, mini game isolated puzzles (where in the originals, the environment was part) and bland can't miss jumping/climbing mechanics.

Sometimes I feel making the main character female and iconic has confused the developers and forgot what they should be making. It's not evolution. In the classics you would find a locked door so would hunt for the key. The scenery and graphics being 'low key' and not realistic looking promoted artistic freedom and enhanced the puzzle and the challenge (think Minecraft and how the game would break with realistic graphics). So, what do they do in the new 'Lara' game? (who is boring as hell now she's 'realistic').....present you with a locked/shut door so you have to shoot it. And if your out of ammo, they leave some on the doorstep. Just stupid, and sums up the whole mentality of what it's become.
Doctorb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 13:10
bob2005
Forum Member

Seen the 360 version for 10 in CEX need to get around to picking it up and giving it a shot.
bob2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 13:18
Will_Bennetts
Forum Member

Since TR4 the game has drifted away from its gameplay roots and centred around Lara and decreasing the exploration, puzzles and how the environment is negotiated. The new games now have little exploration, mini game isolated puzzles (where in the originals, the environment was part) and bland can't miss jumping/climbing mechanics.

Sometimes I feel making the main character female and iconic has confused the developers and forgot what they should be making. It's not evolution. In the classics you would find a locked door so would hunt for the key. The scenery and graphics being 'low key' and not realistic looking promoted artistic freedom and enhanced the puzzle and the challenge (think Minecraft and how the game would break with realistic graphics). So, what do they do in the new 'Lara' game? (who is boring as hell now she's 'realistic').....present you with a locked/shut door so you have to shoot it. And if your out of ammo, they leave some on the doorstep. Just stupid, and sums up the whole mentality of what it's become.
Couldn't agree less the original tomb raider games bored the shit out of me , ths new one is my game of last year no doubt . Only let down was the stupid way the final boss fight was designed.
Will_Bennetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 14:27
Doctorb
Forum Member

Couldn't agree less the original tomb raider games bored the shit out of me , ths new one is my game of last year no doubt . Only let down was the stupid way the final boss fight was designed.
I'm not saying that it's....on its own, a decent game that can't be enjoyed (a better game after the unplayable Underpants game), just that they have tinkered so much it's unrecognisable to those who actually enjoyed the style of the classics. It's only Tomb Raider in name and bears more a resemblance to the evolution gameplay wise of Dragons Lair and Uncharted. Of course, people will like the game, it was designed to appeal to a large audience. The developers have always pampered to those who didn't like the originals (like yourself) and its just sad that they've got their way. What next, a FPS Layton or Mario and discard the the original gameplay because it's not cool for a section of the gaming public?
Doctorb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 15:23
Flawed-Tactics
Forum Member

I thought Tomb Raider was/is a great game, my latest play through is on PC, not just for the ultimate graphical experience but because it's a good game to play multiple times.

As much as I liked the older more traditional TB games, I wouldn't play them through more than once, the only exception would be Underworld, I played that on PS3 and 360.

I would like to see more balance on the next outing, with some big/optional tombs for the traditionalist gamers, whatever they do, I think I'd be quite happy.
Flawed-Tactics is offline   Reply With Quote