Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

"IT'S TIME TO FACE THE MUSICAL". Will it sink or swim?!

Old 15-03-2013, 21:06
Nesta Robbins
Forum Member

Sooo, looks like XFactor the Musical is coming to town! Co-written by Harry Hill - the stage show has had the go ahead to open at the London Palladium, this time next year.

Harry, is funny and over the years has been involved in lots of different projects. Not many realise he's also a fairly acclaimed author and musician. I'm sure it will be well written, but I fear he may have seriously over-estimated the Nation's appetite for all things Xfactor. I personally think, the whole thing has had its day and this could flop. Hope I'm wrong. Love Harry!

What do others think?

More here.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...Palladium.html
Nesta Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 15-03-2013, 21:13
jackel1234
Forum Member

It won't swim or flop it will nose dive. I like Harry and all but an X Factor musical when the show is in a serious decline isn't going to help hype it up. It'll end up being like that Eurovision musical.... performing to empty crowds
jackel1234 is online now Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2013, 21:39
Remote33
Forum Member

The Spice Girls' "Viva Forever" musical is also set in a singing reality show that is heavily based on The X Factor, and a lot of the jokes will probably be repeats.
Remote33 is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2013, 22:18
Nesta Robbins
Forum Member

.....and don't forget the Jerry Springer musical. Not saying that Jerry! Jerry! was a singer of course, but historically, TV shows don't seem to make successful musicals!
Nesta Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2013, 22:55
Gill P
Forum Member

If it was after the lines of Ben Elton's Chart Throb novel it might survive.
Gill P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2013, 23:26
jackbell
Forum Member

They should've gone with a stage version of Peter Kay's send up from a few years ago that actually forecast Christopher Maloney from last year.

Or even the Ben Elton book.
jackbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:46
shanders
Forum Member

With the closure of Viva Forever this doesn't bode well...
shanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:09
rachelright
Forum Member

I think it might do a little better than Viva Forever, but yeah after todays announcement it doesn't seem like it will have a good west end future.....
rachelright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 21:23
LW09

I don't mean to make a sweeping generalisation, but surely the type of people who watch X Factor aren't necessarily the type of people who go to the theatre? And thats where the problem lies.
LW09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 22:41
C14E
Forum Member

I don't mean to make a sweeping generalisation, but surely the type of people who watch X Factor aren't necessarily the type of people who go to the theatre? And thats where the problem lies.
Of course they are - the demographics of X Factor, while young for TV, are broadly in line with the UK population as a whole. And as far as recognised entertainment brands go, you can't do much better than X Factor at the moment. It's not "serious" theatre, it's a musical. It's the Mammia Mia audience they're targeting.

I think the bigger issue is that it's an original musical. And that's a really really hard sell in the West End at the moment. Like Viva Forever, there will be huge scrutiny early on so they need to be brilliant from the start or the press will kill them.

Evening Standard article on the difficulties of launching Viva Forever.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/gi...s-8600216.html
C14E is offline   Reply With Quote