Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Samsung Galaxy S2 gets Jelly Bean - at last

Old 17-03-2013, 10:02
JeffG1
Forum Member

The update was downloaded overnight to my phone. I installed it this morning and so far everything seems ok.

This update was a long time coming!
JeffG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 17-03-2013, 10:34
Stiggles
Forum Member

its been out for months for most people. what network are you on?
Stiggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2013, 10:55
AxeVictim
Forum Member

This happened with my S3 the sim free phones were the last to get it for some reason.
AxeVictim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2013, 11:05
JeffG1
Forum Member

its been out for months for most people. what network are you on?
Vodafone. Sure that's the S2 you're talking about? Does the network have anything to do with it?

Edit: there's a similar discussion going on here.
Old 17-03-2013, 11:12
Anika Hanson
Forum Member

Still nothing on the note
Anika Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2013, 11:18
AxeVictim
Forum Member

They only started the update to JB for the S2 this month in the UK.
http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Samsu...1390704/page/9
AxeVictim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2013, 14:04
Mythica
Forum Member

Again it looks like the unlocked version of the phone will be near enough last to get the update. This happened last time when ICS came out. Not only that but the likes of Iraq also got the update before the UK.
Mythica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2013, 15:46
Comedykev
Forum Member

Still nothing on the note
Anyone know when the Note 2 gets this on 3?
Regards
Comedykev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2013, 17:55
Roush
Forum Member

Regards
The Note II already has it.
Roush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2013, 17:58
Ultraman1966
Forum Member

My colleague is on three and we checked on Friday but nothing for his s2 yet.
Ultraman1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2013, 18:47
tosha43
Forum Member

Regards
Got it on my note about 3 weeks ago, and I'm on 3
tosha43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2013, 18:50
n1guy

I've had it for a while, its a really battery hog though so I went back to ICS
n1guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2013, 19:11
JeffG1
Forum Member

The predictive text is a vast improvement: it makes a good guess at the next word you want (see below) and more importantly, it doesn't automatically substitute what it thinks you ought to have typed unless you actually click on the suggestion.

(Re guessing: I was texting my son about The Lady Vanishes (on TV tonight), and after I typed Lady it suggested Gaga as the next word )
Old 17-03-2013, 19:14
Everything Goes
Forum Member

Again it looks like the unlocked version of the phone will be near enough last to get the update. This happened last time when ICS came out. Not only that but the likes of Iraq also got the update before the UK.
Yes the updates for Android are appalling. Even Microsoft learned for the embarrassment that was Windows Mobile regarding updates (what updates I hear you say?!).

Its a sorry state of affairs and yes Unlocked phones should be first to get updates and none of this pandering to network operators nonsense

Apple iOS still lead the way with regards updates with Microsoft's Windows Phone second and Google Android trailing last.
Everything Goes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2013, 19:14
ASIFZED
Forum Member

Nothing on the Note (1) still. Have a SIM free version and, I read it was due 15 March. So much for SIM free models getting updates sooner than the networks locked ones...
ASIFZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2013, 20:22
Mark in Essex
Forum Member

My wife had a prompt to download over the air on her S2 but the wireless is not working properly at home at the moment so will back it up using Kies on my PC first before doing it on there.

I was wondering if people who have done the upgrade if they did a factory reset after upgrading or if it worked all ok without it?

Also is it a lot faster than the previous version?
Mark in Essex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2013, 20:28
Everything Goes
Forum Member

My wife had a prompt to download over the air on her S2 but the wireless is not working properly at home at the moment so will back it up using Kies on my PC first before doing it on there.

I was wondering if people who have done the upgrade if they did a factory reset after upgrading or if it worked all ok without it?

Also is it a lot faster than the previous version?
There's a few comments about battery issues on the Vodafone forum. Would be interested in how people updated it. Personally I would think doing a clean install ie factory reset before installing JB would be the best idea as I remember people having trouble with ICS.
Old 17-03-2013, 20:53
Anika Hanson
Forum Member

Nothing on the Note (1) still. Have a SIM free version and, I read it was due 15 March. So much for SIM free models getting updates sooner than the networks locked ones...
I have an unlocked version and nothing here either I had my first note replaced under insurance on Wednesday and managed to get another unlocked one
Anika Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2013, 21:44
daclick
Forum Member

My brothers unlocked note still doesn't have JB
daclick is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2013, 21:54
finbaar
Forum Member

Yes the updates for Android are appalling. Even Microsoft learned for the embarrassment that was Windows Mobile regarding updates (what updates I hear you say?!).

Its a sorry state of affairs and yes Unlocked phones should be first to get updates and none of this pandering to network operators nonsense

Apple iOS still lead the way with regards updates with Microsoft's Windows Phone second and Google Android trailing last.
Google Android phones do get updated quickly. That's because the only phones to qualify as Google Android are the Nexus class devices. The S2 is a Touchwiz device. And HTC make Sense devices and so on for LG and Sony. Blame the manufacturers for wanting to 'differentiate'. As far as I am concerned every manufacturers skin is an abomination.
finbaar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2013, 14:02
Dai13371
Forum Member

Not quite accurate. Google Android updates are regular and prompt, as Nexus owners will tell you.

Its the skinned versions released by the handset manufacturer and coupled with the carriers customisations that are delayed. Certainly not a Google fault.
Dai13371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2013, 14:06
Dai13371
Forum Member

My brothers unlocked note still doesn't have JB
Unlocked British Notes can quite happily run on official Dutch LSZ firmware downloaded from the Sammobile website. Use Odin to install without rooting or invalidating warranty.
Dai13371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2013, 15:06
finbaar
Forum Member

Unlocked British Notes can quite happily run on official Dutch LSZ firmware downloaded from the Sammobile website. Use Odin to install without rooting or invalidating warranty.
Can I just add a slight word of warning to this. Use of Odin does invalidate your warranty BUT Samsung have no way of knowing that you have used it. So in the unlikely event of your phone bricking when using Odin then all you have to say is that it happened using Kies. Odin is a pretty good program, I used it when putting my Note back to factory default before giving it to Mrs finbaar. I would quite happily flash the Dutch firmware but my life would be a bit difficult if it went wrong she can wait for the OTA, not that she cares anyway.
finbaar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2013, 17:29
Everything Goes
Forum Member

Not quite accurate. Google Android updates are regular and prompt, as Nexus owners will tell you.

Its the skinned versions released by the handset manufacturer and coupled with the carriers customisations that are delayed. Certainly not a Google fault.
Google need to be more firm with manufactures instead of turning a blind eye. Microsoft managed it with a diverse amount of manufactures and they tell them to do updates. Theres no excuse for it.
Old 18-03-2013, 18:53
Mr. Cool
Forum Member

Can I just add a slight word of warning to this. Use of Odin does invalidate your warranty BUT Samsung have no way of knowing that you have used it. So in the unlikely event of your phone bricking when using Odin then all you have to say is that it happened using Kies. Odin is a pretty good program, I used it when putting my Note back to factory default before giving it to Mrs finbaar. I would quite happily flash the Dutch firmware but my life would be a bit difficult if it went wrong she can wait for the OTA, not that she cares anyway.
There is a flash count, which does tell you how many times a device has been flashed. Although this is easily reset.
Mr. Cool is offline   Reply With Quote