Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

HyperText Transfer Protocol

Old 18-03-2013, 21:18
Paperhouse
Forum Member

How can I get rid of the HyperText Transfer Protocol which appears on this web site?
Paperhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 18-03-2013, 21:22
tealady
Forum Member

Which website and what do you mean by get rid of it?
tealady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2013, 21:36
Paperhouse
Forum Member

Which website and what do you mean by get rid of it?
As I said 'this website' (i.e. Digital Spy). They are annoying and I don't want them. I'm sure that I got rid of them previously.
Old 18-03-2013, 21:43
alan1302
Forum Member

As I said 'this website' (i.e. Digital Spy). They are annoying and I don't want them. I'm sure that I got rid of them previously.
Are you talking about adverts?
alan1302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2013, 21:45
bspace
Forum Member

close your browser
bspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2013, 21:46
tealady
Forum Member

Protocol - An agreed-upon format for transmitting data between two devices.

I don't think you mean http.

Perhaps you could post a screenshot to photobucket or similar or try and describe the issue?
tealady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2013, 21:59
Paperhouse
Forum Member

Are you talking about adverts?
When I right clicked on one it said that it was an http. So did a Google search of how to get rid of them and I've done it.
Old 18-03-2013, 22:12
ianx
Forum Member

Can you post a link to the page telling you how to get rid of them?
ianx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2013, 22:16
BrokenArrow
Forum Member

This thread is weird.
BrokenArrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2013, 22:26
Paperhouse
Forum Member

OK I was annoyed by the odd word appearing in green which when I clicked on turned out to be some kind of link. I didn't know what these were called so I right clicked on one and a box opened that said it was an http. So when requesting help here, rightly or wrongly, I made reference to http. Apologies if I did not explain myself correctly, but that's why I needed help. i.e. I'm not an expert and therefore don't know the correct terminology. Not to worry though as I managed to get my answer on Google and I have now resolved the matter.
Old 18-03-2013, 22:34
Tinky-Winky
Inactive Member

Hi,

Web links are caller URLs (http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Uni...source+Locator)

TW
Tinky-Winky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2013, 22:36
Paperhouse
Forum Member

Thanks I'll remember that in future.
Old 18-03-2013, 22:48
whoever,hey
Forum Member

Er, you could try reading this website over RSS instead of HTTP. But i'm not sure what the URL for that is.
whoever,hey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2013, 23:10
Paperhouse
Forum Member

I fixed it here http://www.youronlinechoices.com/uk/your-ad-choices
Old 19-03-2013, 08:52
Daedroth
Forum Member

Certain browsers have certain add-ons which can stop all adverts from appearing on websites.
Daedroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2013, 09:22
flagpole
Inactive Member

i think we've gone down the rabbit hole.
flagpole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2013, 11:47
platelet
Forum Member

How can I get rid of the HyperText Transfer Protocol which appears on this web site?
Sign into the site. the skimlinks should only appear to unregistered users. If they are still showing after you signed in then let support know, as that's a bug - see here:

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showp...&postcount=128
platelet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2013, 12:05
John259
Forum Member

i think we've gone down the rabbit hole.
"When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean—neither more nor less."
"The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
John259 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2013, 16:14
DJGM
Forum Member

You can't. HTTP is the technology that underpins every website on the World Wide Web, not just DS. Getting rid
of Hyper Text Transfer Protocol, would effectively mean destroying the pioneering work of Sir Tim Berners Lee,
the British scientist that invented the Web (not the internet). Every website would breakdown completely.
DJGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2013, 16:36
flagpole
Inactive Member

You can't. HTTP is the technology that underpins every website on the World Wide Web, not just DS. Getting rid
of Hyper Text Transfer Protocol, would effectively mean destroying the pioneering work of Sir Tim Berners Lee,
the British scientist that invented the Web (not the internet). Every website would breakdown completely.
i think it is probably safe to say that you are not the first person in this thread to notice that.
flagpole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2013, 17:47
!!11oneone
Forum Member

I just deleted Hyper Text Transfer Protocol from my hard drive and now my internets aren't working. I can get the email tube open and my messages pour out. Does the Googles tube come through a different internet because my emails are ok, but there aren't any websiteblogs on my Internet.

Should I contact BT about this, because they connected the tubes in the first place, although I now get all my internets via BumNet? Who owns the internet for my to write a letter of complaint, and where is the head office? Should I address it to Tom Bernard Lee?
!!11oneone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2013, 17:57
Paperhouse
Forum Member

Thanks to everyone who gave useful advice; with special thanks to Liam for his PM. I would agree Liam: sarcasm is the lowest form of wit.
Old 19-03-2013, 18:14
!!11oneone
Forum Member

I apologise for my sarcasm, I do actually feel a bit bad.

May I give you a piece of advice, however, which I mean in the nicest possible way and help you as well as the people on here who are trying to solve your problems?

Don't overthink your problems, don't try and get too technical. Just give as much clear information as you can. I genuinely don't know what your problem was, but I can infer that it's something like:

I'm getting unwanted stuff on DS that I can't seem to get rid of. Clicking them links to adverts, They look like x, y, z and appear at the top/in the middle/underneath posts. What are they and how can I get rid of them?

It's clear you're not very technical, and that's perfectly ok. That's why you came for help. But diving in with technical terms, which you might possibly be using right or could be using wrong, just confuses us and you!

Glad you've got it sorted now, anyway, and I hope we haven't put you off asking for help because how else will you learn new stuff?
!!11oneone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2013, 18:28
Paperhouse
Forum Member

I apologise for my sarcasm, I do actually feel a bit bad.

May I give you a piece of advice, however, which I mean in the nicest possible way and help you as well as the people on here who are trying to solve your problems?

Don't overthink your problems, don't try and get too technical. Just give as much clear information as you can. I genuinely don't know what your problem was, but I can infer that it's something like:

I'm getting unwanted stuff on DS that I can't seem to get rid of. Clicking them links to adverts, They look like x, y, z and appear at the top/in the middle/underneath posts. What are they and how can I get rid of them?

It's clear you're not very technical, and that's perfectly ok. That's why you came for help. But diving in with technical terms, which you might possibly be using right or could be using wrong, just confuses us and you!

Glad you've got it sorted now, anyway, and I hope we haven't put you off asking for help because how else will you learn new stuff?
That is very much appreciated, although I wouldn't say that I'm not very technical. I'm actually a qualified Civil Engineer who can use a computer, but who doesn't know how it works or how to fix it. Bring back the slide rule and log tables! Thanks again for your advice.
Old 19-03-2013, 19:52
whoever,hey
Forum Member

i think it is probably safe to say that you are not the first person in this thread to notice that.
You might have a point there
whoever,hey is offline   Reply With Quote