Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Cowell's oddly emotional twittering session; promises XF changes.

Old 19-03-2013, 10:10
InMyArms
Forum Member

In order..
Just finished my calls to la. I wanted to apologise about not tweeting recently. I have been focusing a lot on work.
There will be a lot of changes on X factor uk and USA. But good changes. I feel excited for both shows this year.
One direction continue to amaze me. Hard workers but still the nicest guys you could hope to work with.
The first emblem 3 single arrived a week ago. It is fantastic. And fifth harmony are going from strength to strength. Single soon.
Tates album is finished. Did some radio with him last week. He is the most genuine guy.
On syco uk we are working hard on James and Ella. I have a very good feeling about these two.
Please check out you generation this week. It's worth it.
Seen some early footage on the one d movie. Very very exciting.
And still on movies the Paul Potts movie from what I have seen is brilliant.
Have just finished the britains got talent auditions. We still have a lot of talent in this country.
And with everything I have been working on it made me realise that your friends and family are still the most important things in your life.
Sorry to cram all this in. Have read some strange things about me recently. I am happy. Healthy. And enjoying life. Hope you are too.
What I have realised is there will be bumps in your life but the fun is fixing them. If it was always easy life would be boring.
And for everyone who has bothered to follow me. Thank you. I have learnt a lot from you guys.
That's about it for now. I hope to announce something very close to me that I have been working on soon.
I was a little deep tonight but it was one of those nights you realise you have a lot to be thankful for.
On a twelve hour flight tomorrow so it's time to follow some new friends.
https://twitter.com/SimonCowell
InMyArms is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 19-03-2013, 10:22
wise-up
Forum Member

That is strange for him, maybe he is depressed or something or he is finally listening to fans of the show or had a near death experience or something. Although once again I am angry at the lack of tweets about little mix, its like he doesn't even care about them. All he had to say was good luck in the USA girls or something along them lines. I hope they leave his label although if they do well in USA I doubt he would let them.
wise-up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2013, 10:31
LandslideBrad
Forum Member

That is strange for him, maybe he is depressed or something or he is finally listening to fans of the show or had a near death experience or something. Although once again I am angry at the lack of tweets about little mix, its like he doesn't even care about them. All he had to say was good luck in the USA girls or something along them lines. I hope they leave his label although if they do well in USA I doubt he would let them.
Same
LandslideBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2013, 10:33
InMyArms
Forum Member

To be fair he didn't mention Susan Boyle, Leona Lewis, Olly Murs or Cher Lloyd either and he clearly cares about those as they have made him a fortune.
InMyArms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2013, 10:50
kitten12
Forum Member

Only tweet I would like to read is "X Factor and BGT are dead. The bottom of the barrel has been reached"
kitten12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2013, 10:53
wise-up
Forum Member

To be fair he didn't mention Susan Boyle, Leona Lewis, Olly Murs or Cher Lloyd either and he clearly cares about those as they have made him a fortune.
Yep but I think he has talked about them before and has praised them in interviews and stuff, at least the 1st three but LM he has mentioned twice, when they won and when LM got wings to number 1. And even on XF USA and when tweeting about 5th Harmony, he acted like they were the only girlband around when he could have used 5th harmony's success to introduce LM i.e. little mix won UK version which shows you a group can win etc.
wise-up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2013, 13:19
annushka
Forum Member

Yep but I think he has talked about them before and has praised them in interviews and stuff, at least the 1st three but LM he has mentioned twice, when they won and when LM got wings to number 1. And even on XF USA and when tweeting about 5th Harmony, he acted like they were the only girlband around when he could have used 5th harmony's success to introduce LM i.e. little mix won UK version which shows you a group can win etc.
I don't think that he doesn't like LM, I think that he hardly knows them however.
Should he make more of an effort? Maybe.

But the truth is that he has had time to get to know all the other contestants because he was working on the show when they were there, so of course he would feel more invested because of the more personal connection.

1 tweet from Simon won't make a difference for the LM fanbase, people like LM for them, which is the aim.
Of course, it would be nice for the girls on a more personal level to feel more supported by him, but I think that they have done fine without it untill now.
annushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2013, 13:23
annushka
Forum Member

On the topic of the tweets, they are weirdly emotional indeed, wonder what happened.

It's good that he seems to question the format of the shows. Things are obviously going downhill, but at least he is not blind to it and won't go down without a fight.

Maybe they should do the contrary of the voice: only having the X factor and BGT once every 2 years. It might help with the talent show fatigue and might help with the general talent level (giving more time for growth for the future contestants).
It would also help the talents discovered because the label would have 2 years to establish them instead of only 1 before the new batch of contestant arrives and you forget the previous ones. They might look at things with longevity in mind for a change!
annushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2013, 13:40
PJ River
Inactive Member

On the topic of the tweets, they are weirdly emotional indeed, wonder what happened.

It's good that he seems to question the format of the shows. Things are obviously going downhill, but at least he is not blind to it and won't go down without a fight.

Maybe they should do the contrary of the voice: only having the X factor and BGT once every 2 years. It might help with the talent show fatigue and might help with the general talent level (giving more time for growth for the future contestants).
It would also help the talents discovered because the label would have 2 years to establish them instead of only 1 before the new batch of contestant arrives and you forget the previous ones. They might look at things with longevity in mind for a change!
That is exactly what I think. Once every two years would be perfect.

On another note, I remember Simon saying on Piers Morgan Life Stories that he would know when to stop those shows. I remember thinking, I'm pretty sure you won't know when to stop. He should have stopped when Little Mix won for me.
PJ River is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2013, 13:41
yohinnchild
Forum Member

Maybe the earnings of Syco took a severe drop and he's got emotional
yohinnchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2013, 13:41
DUNDEEBOY
Forum Member

Bringing back Osbourne would be a horrendous mistake
DUNDEEBOY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2013, 14:29
Letsjustgo27
Forum Member

Maybe he lost a viable act?
Letsjustgo27 is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2013, 14:56
Slojo
Forum Member

Maybe he's realised what the majority of people really think about him and it's come as a shock that he's not the universally loved stud muffin he thinks he is
Slojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2013, 15:24
PJ1893
Forum Member

Maybe he's realised what the majority of people really think about him
I think that book last year really hurt his image. It made him look a bit daft and there's been a rash of stories lately about how he's loosing this touch (Food Glorious Food), how he's not ITV's main man anymore, about XF going downhill, articles about how he looks (plastic surgery, weight gain etc)... even stories about how miserable he looks.

It must take it's toll after a while.

Inevitably, his press is less about his success now (like it used to be) and more about his lifestyle and how odd it can sometimes seem on the outside.

I like Simon though. I can't wait for BGT to return.
PJ1893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2013, 15:42
PJ River
Inactive Member

He has to understand that you can be happy without being famous. If I was him, I would say goodbye to tv shows and remain behind the scenes with syco music.
Old 19-03-2013, 16:09
shaggy_x
Forum Member

He has to understand that you can be happy without being famous. If I was him, I would say goodbye to tv shows and remain behind the scenes with syco music.
He has invested too much in Botox to be remain behind the scenes!
shaggy_x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2013, 19:16
C14E
Forum Member

The Daily Mail wrote another piece recently which seemed to suggest he was turning into Howard Hughes, becoming a recluse, depressed and irrationally fearful of everything from failure to other people and even germs. I suspect he read it and wanted to make clear that's not the case. Hence the "I am happy. Healthy. And enjoying life" part.

With the exception of One Direction, the only people mentioned were the acts signed from last years X Factor shows who are working on albums right now. He didn't mention... Little Mix, Rebecca Ferguson, Olly Murs, Cher Lloyd, Jonathan & Charlotte, Ashleigh & Pudsey, Leona Lewis, Alexandra Burke, Amelia Lily, Il Divo, Susan Boyle, Lovable Rogues or Jackie Evancho.

So basically, I'd not read too much into it!
C14E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2013, 19:21
Zone_Out
Forum Member

Only tweet I would like to read is "X Factor and BGT are dead. The bottom of the barrel has been reached"
Yet you visit forums of these shows.
Zone_Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2013, 01:16
SamuelW
Forum Member

Dont fall for this, it is a PR exercise by Cowell and his team. His press adviser wouldve told him to tweet these things to make him seem more human and relatable to the mass public so he gets sympathy from people because he currently has a very bad public image which he desperately wants to turn around.
SamuelW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2013, 01:22
PJ River
Inactive Member

Twitter is not everything. It's not because he doesn't mention everyone on twitter that he doesn't do it on the phone for example.
Old 20-03-2013, 03:46
Dreammaster695
Forum Member

i do feel sorry for him.. he has fallen alot over the years.. in 2010 you could have called him the most famous man in the world, but after x factor usa failed all his shows ratings have went down hill, stars have flopped and so many bad storys and hate online for him now, a few years ago he used to win all the polls and have tons of support now it seems people dont really care for him and want him to retire... he even got beat by louis walsh on one poll.. and people where saying that they prefered louis on x factor usa as well which must have hurt him..

this article i read is the truth:
The past 12 months have seen a succession of failures. Starting with an ‘unauthorised’ biography about him by respected author Tom Bower — with whom he co-operated — it has been an unhappy year.
His TV talent shows have started to look tired and lose audiences, his new ideas haven’t taken root, his judges keep on quitting, and he has fallen into a fractious relationship with the TV networks who are his paymasters.
Dreammaster695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2013, 04:00
C14E
Forum Member

I think a lot of the "crisis" stuff is wildly overstated. The best example of that was surely one year ago, March/April 2012, when the world was ending because The Voice was beating BGT and the whole biography fiasco as well. A matter of weeks later and BGT was back on top, The Voice collapsed and One Direction scored a US #1 album.

That's where Cowell's business is now - it's so much bigger than it was, with so much going on, that there's always going to be a mixture of success and failure. But the good stuff doesn't get picked up on by the papers so much! Even when it was smaller, there were many failures. For every X Factor there was a Cupid. For every Got Talent there was a Celebrity Duets. But the nature of the business is that nobody remembers the flops 5 years later, just the hits.

Cowell sometimes doesn't help with the "crisis" stuff. This whole image and idea that everything other than #1 is unacceptable means successes become failures in terms of public perception. Hence the idea that X Factor USA has been a "failure". That's a failure that every single production company on the planet would give their right arms for.
C14E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2013, 10:24
shaggy_x
Forum Member

Dont fall for this, it is a PR exercise by Cowell and his team. His press adviser wouldve told him to tweet these things to make him seem more human and relatable to the mass public so he gets sympathy from people because he currently has a very bad public image which he desperately wants to turn around.
of course the tweets are sent by his PR team. Does anyone else think he seriously has the time or inclination for twittering out updates every few minutes ?
shaggy_x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2013, 14:18
abrightyz
Forum Member

sounds like he had a near-death experience with max clifford by his side, lolz!!
abrightyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2013, 15:17
Slojo
Forum Member

sounds like he had a near-death experience with max clifford by his side, lolz!!
Yeah -- opened his wallet and got run down by escaping money spiders
Slojo is offline   Reply With Quote