Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

BB10 doesn't pass UK government's security test

Old 20-03-2013, 17:21
Mr. Cool
Inactive Member

The Guardian reports a CESG assessment of BlackBerry Balance found it did not satisfy the requirements for "restricted" communications, the basic level of protection recommended for sensitive government information, because data leaked between the supposedly closed BYOD walled garden and the public areas of the phone.
I guess this is another blow for Blackberry if it can't be fixed with a simple update.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/03...security_fail/
Mr. Cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 20-03-2013, 20:28
alan1302
Forum Member

I guess this is another blow for Blackberry if it can't be fixed with a simple update.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/03...security_fail/
But it does mention in the article that they do expect it to be sorted out and no reason to think it can't be an easy fix.
alan1302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2013, 20:36
psionic
Forum Member

It looks like Blackberry are going to sort it out. http://www.cesg.gov.uk/News/Pages/Bl...overnment.aspx
psionic is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2013, 20:47
Mr. Cool
Inactive Member

It looks like Blackberry are going to sort it out. http://www.cesg.gov.uk/News/Pages/Bl...overnment.aspx
You'd think it wouldn't have shipped like that.
Mr. Cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2013, 20:50
alan1302
Forum Member

Governments have very specific requirements though - they would have been keener to get it out to the public first and then they know they can take time dealing with government contracts on a case by case basis
alan1302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2013, 20:50
psionic
Forum Member

Top execs would probably have been shot by shareholders if they even hinted at delaying it any more. They already missed the crucial holiday/Christmas market by releasing at the end of January.
psionic is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2013, 08:48
Big Poy
Forum Member

Kindly cleared up here.

http://crackberry.com/UK-government-...-certification

And this:

http://crackberry.com/guardian-backt...security-story
Big Poy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2013, 09:10
IvanIV
Forum Member

So well done Guardian, don't let the facts get in the way of a good story.
IvanIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2013, 09:34
clonmult
Forum Member

Our corporate mobile choice was based on government certification, and we could only go for those options that were apparently "certified".

Down the pub with a bunch of colleagues a few days back and despite our iPhones being locked, with Siri activated you could send emails .... even mine with Siri disabled activated voice control and would let me dial.

The certification process is far from perfect. But then it is a government process ...
clonmult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2013, 09:48
Hugh_
Inactive Member

Our corporate mobile choice was based on government certification, and we could only go for those options that were apparently "certified".

Down the pub with a bunch of colleagues a few days back and despite our iPhones being locked, with Siri activated you could send emails .... even mine with Siri disabled activated voice control and would let me dial.

The certification process is far from perfect. But then it is a government process ...
In the settings on iPhone you can turn off Siri when the phone is locked, also turn off reply to message. I'm surprised niethrr you or any of your colleagues knew this.

No need to deactivate Siri,
Hugh_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2013, 10:05
IvanIV
Forum Member

In the settings on iPhone you can turn off Siri when the phone is locked, also turn off reply to message. I'm surprised niethrr you or any of your colleagues knew this.

No need to deactivate Siri,
When I set up my work email via Exchange on my Lumia 920, it told me it will enforce a security policy on it that will configure and disable some options. I think this should be done similarly for other OSs that you just can't turn on options that are considered risky.
IvanIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2013, 10:07
IslandNiles
Forum Member

When I set up my work email via Exchange on my Lumia 920, it told me it will enforce a security policy on it that will configure and disable some options. I think this should be done similarly for other OSs that you just can't turn on options that are considered risky.
Exactly. The earlier poster's IT department should have disabled options that are considered a security risk.
IslandNiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2013, 10:23
TheBigM
Forum Member

So the native iPhone email app was certified as suitable? Because Siri can't control any other email app than the in-built one.

We use a more secure email app called Good which is wrapped in better encryption etc.
TheBigM is offline   Reply With Quote