Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

DVDs on a wii

Old 20-03-2013, 20:14
alsmama
Forum Member

Our DVD player isn't working but someone told me you can watch DVDs on a wii. We just tried but the machine couldn't read the disc. Anyone know if this is possible?
alsmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 20-03-2013, 20:21
gdjman68wasdigi
Forum Member

Our DVD player isn't working but someone told me you can watch DVDs on a wii. We just tried but the machine couldn't read the disc. Anyone know if this is possible?
Wii will not play DVDS
gdjman68wasdigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2013, 22:41
alternate
Forum Member

Wii will not play DVDS
... Unless your wii is modded.

nintendo declined to pay licence fees to allow owners to watch DVD movies, you can add the codec via the homebrew channel.
alternate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2013, 23:20
alsmama
Forum Member

... Unless your wii is modded.

nintendo declined to pay licence fees to allow owners to watch DVD movies, you can add the codec via the homebrew channel.
Any hints on how to do that, alternate?
Old 21-03-2013, 00:46
Davonator
Forum Member

Yeah can be done on home brew I think.......but isn't it just easier to buy a new DVD player? You can get good ones for 25 with HDMI output these days.
Davonator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2013, 06:07
alsmama
Forum Member

I don't know if it's easier Davonator, that's what I wanted to find out on here.
Old 21-03-2013, 08:26
-GONZO-
Forum Member

It is possible to use DVDs after installing the Homebrew Channel, installing the DVD codec and using the appropriate Homebrew App.
However playing DVDs on Wii all depends on what the manufacturing date of the Wii was as they changed the drives they use so DVD playback is impossible no matter what you do.

To be honest with you, you'd be better off buying a cheap DVD player from the likes of Asda or Tesco as its less hassle just to play back some DVDs.

If you wish to proceed anyway then just Google Homebrew Channel as we cannot discuss the how too's here.
-GONZO- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2013, 12:07
lordOfTime
Forum Member

I tried getting a cheap player a year back, but the disks, though they played did not play properly, it taking the wrong route in a maze, if you get my analogy! i.e. you press for one option it brings up another or opens a menu it wouldn't on a brand player.

So I often play DVD's from my computer. My PS3 is also DVD compatible.
lordOfTime is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2013, 07:15
alsmama
Forum Member

I think we will just stick with watching normal channels and TV online and get a DVD when we move house in May and are moving everything else around anyway. Thanks for the tips.
Old 23-03-2013, 02:55
SuperAPJ
Forum Member

I've been having a bit of trouble with my DVD player recently and, when I saw the thread title, thought I'd been unaware that I could've just used the Wii!
SuperAPJ is offline   Reply With Quote