Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Is country music finally gaining popularity in the UK?

Old 25-03-2013, 23:20
farscape
Forum Member

Yep she would be pop country, I suppose real country is whatever you define it to be, To me its having a banjo, steel guitar, mandolin etc and singing about country themes, not teen bobber things.
That sounds like a very stereotypical take on country music as opposed to what it actualy is.

I'm no expert but I hear similar arguments about genres I do follow more. That it doesn't count as X if it doesn't have tropes it's been stereotyped with.
farscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 26-03-2013, 00:15
mgvsmith
Forum Member

No.

Country is a strange genre, it doesn't quite work outside of America unless it's pop orientated like Shania Twain or an early Taylor Swift.
As I have pointed out before on related threads, Country Music has always been big in Northern Ireland which as far as I know is an integral part of the UK!

Belfast is twinned with Nashville, there is a local Country Music songwriting contest and we have had lots of local CW artists from Philomena Begley, Margo, Daniel O'Donnell(!?!) to Mike Denver and Nathan Carter. Not all NI artists but County and Irish is also very cross community in Northern Ireland. And we've had both Carrie Underwood and Tim McGraw visiting in the last week.

More of a Trisha Yearwood, Dixie Chicks (Martie married an Ulsterman), Mary Chapin Carpenter fan myself mind.
mgvsmith is online now Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2013, 01:56
TheToonArmy
Forum Member

I don't think country will ever be but a niche in the uk, Taylor was the one person who could have made a diference but she crossed over to the dark side.

The problem is there is just not the radio stations that play any country.

Surprised nobody has mentioned Kacey Musgraves, loving this at the moment http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tq0MEu4MZ-Y
TheToonArmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2013, 10:56
Never Nude
Forum Member

I always thought Taylor Swift was more pop country or crossover than "real" country (if there is such a thing - what defines "real" country music?).
I agree, the country music that is gaining ground over here most would not call country, it's more pop then anything. I don't think country in its purest sense will ever become mainstream over here since its so rooted in a certain culture.
Never Nude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2013, 12:01
icanboogie
Forum Member

Right now, Taylor's probably up singing some white-trash version of Shania karaoke.

Some great country about, Tim, Dolly, Carrie, Alan Jackson, Brad Paisley, Dixie Chicks

But also past stars - Johnny Cash, Patsy Cline, Loretta Lynn, Tammy Wynette, Slim Whitman
icanboogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2013, 12:51
glyn9799
Forum Member

Shania Twain and Leann Rimes were huge a few years ago. It's nothing new. Some country acts will always cross over.
Agree. Shania still has one of the best selling albums in the UK with a country album - although it was remixed and dressed up as more poppy that it's American counterpart. It's true though, some acts will always cross over. I'd say that country-esque music was more popular back in the late 90's than it is now.
glyn9799 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2013, 12:55
grimtales1
Forum Member

I preferred Shania's earlier songs like You're Still the One which was more pure country than That Don't Impress Me Much etc (much more poppy).
Is she still making music?
grimtales1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2013, 18:47
n1guy

We forgot about Garth Brooks, He was very popular back in the 90's
n1guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2013, 23:10
mimicole
Forum Member

I've got a new-found appreciation for country music. It's always been played in my house (my Mum's a fan) but I'd never really taken an interest until last year.

I've just found Kacey Musgraves. She's very talented. I can't wait to add her album to my collection.

I think (and hope) the American Country sound is slowly becoming more popular. The Country to Country Festival at the O2 Arena last weekend was packed and was also successful enough to make a return next year. And hopefully this years' fans will bring friends and it will be even bigger/better next year
Someone on the other side of the bar at work went to this event and said that she loved it.
mimicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2013, 23:21
TheTruth1983
Forum Member

Classic Rock are launching a sister magazine dedicated to country music soon.
TheTruth1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2013, 23:21
JohnnyGrumpus
Forum Member

I've got a pretty varied taste in music. When it comes to Country music i've discovered just how varied it can be.
Here's what i've been listening to recently.

Eric Church - Chief
Corb Lund - Cabin Fever
Little Big Town - Tornado
Big & Rich - Hillbilly Jedi
Big Kenny - The Quiet Times of a Rock and Roll Farm Boy
John Rich - Son of a Preacher man
JohnnyGrumpus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2013, 00:04
mimicole
Forum Member

Classic Rock are launching a sister magazine dedicated to country music soon.
Interesting
Old 16-10-2013, 00:06
TheTruth1983
Forum Member

'Tis. It is actually out already

http://www.classicrockmagazine.com/n...usic-magazine/
TheTruth1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2013, 00:16
Rodney McKay
Forum Member

Taylor swift has become a disgrace to country. She did well in balancing it but with her new era, she has trashed it. Pardon the pun, but she will never ever ever, be one of the best in her genre. She's no Dolly parton, Loretta Lynn, Faith Hill, Shania Twain etc.
Really?
Rodney McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2013, 00:50
Peter the Great
Forum Member

Taylor swift has become a disgrace to country. She did well in balancing it but with her new era, she has trashed it. Pardon the pun, but she will never ever ever, be one of the best in her genre. She's no Dolly parton, Loretta Lynn, Faith Hill, Shania Twain etc.
And the last 2 in your list were just as bad as Taylor Swift. That Don't Impress me Much was hardly quality Country was it?
Peter the Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2013, 00:57
Peter the Great
Forum Member

No.

Country is a strange genre, it doesn't quite work outside of America unless it's pop orientated like Shania Twain or an early Taylor Swift.
When you say America I take it you mean North America? Because Country music is quite popular in Canada. It is also quite popular in Australia and has someone has already pointed out popular in Ireland.
Peter the Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2013, 06:50
IWasBored
Forum Member

No.

I much prefer Johnny Cash and Dolly Parton to them two
IWasBored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2013, 09:58
shelleyj89
Forum Member

Right now, Taylor's probably up singing some white-trash version of Shania karaoke.
I see what you did there

I've got a pretty varied taste in music. When it comes to Country music i've discovered just how varied it can be.
Here's what i've been listening to recently.

Eric Church - Chief
Corb Lund - Cabin Fever
Little Big Town - Tornado
Big & Rich - Hillbilly Jedi
Big Kenny - The Quiet Times of a Rock and Roll Farm Boy
John Rich - Son of a Preacher man
I LOVE Little Big Town!! Saw them at C2C this year, and I was lucky enough to be in Vegas when the ACMs were on and we got tickets, and they performed (That event was awesome. Saw so many great acts. I'd never seen Carrie Underwood before, then I saw her at the Royal Albert Hall, C2C and then at the ACMs. Just like buses!)
shelleyj89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2013, 18:18
mimicole
Forum Member

I much prefer Johnny Cash and Dolly Parton to them two
Me too
Old 15-11-2013, 14:19
Prune_Tune
Forum Member

I've been listening to country-esque/alternative artist called Laura Michaels for a while. She's american but I found her music on SupaPass.com. It's a new platform for streaming and the miniscule amount you pay to listen to her stuff she gets most of it. Have a listen to 'words of wisdom' that's my fave
Prune_Tune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2013, 15:57
Doghouse Riley
Forum Member

The TV series "Nashville" has made country music available to those who might not have normally been interested in it.
Particularly with Clare Bowen & Sam Palladio

But I much prefer, the "big girls."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNOUNFNYAmA
Doghouse Riley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2013, 01:15
mrkite77
Forum Member

I like bluegrass, don't like the Nashville sound.

The best part of bluegrass is that no one takes themselves seriously.

You can't listen to this without giggling:
The Cleverlys - I Kissed A Girl
mrkite77 is offline   Reply With Quote