Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Malwarebytes scans

Old 24-03-2013, 19:04
albertd
Forum Member

I am wondering about the relative merits of using the Quick Scan and the Full Scan in Malwarebytes. Is it wise to use a full scan occasionally, or is the quick scan sufficient, as recommended?

The Help File says:
Quick Scan: Scans all system locations where malware is known to install itself. This is the scan type recommended by Malwarebytes.

Full Scan: Scans every file on the drives you select in addition to all of the areas checked by the quick scan.
The trouble with the full scan is how long it takes to run.

Also, is the PRO version value for money?
albertd is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 24-03-2013, 19:32
Stig
Forum Member

Quick scan is fine most of the time.

If it found something, I might be inclined to do a full scan, especially if you back things up to another location.
Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2013, 19:47
evil c
Forum Member

I always just carry out a quick scan, but tried a full scan of c: now whilst browsing on DS, with the latest definitions loaded, as you mentioned how long it took on your machine. It took 22 mins exactly. I have a relatively large amount of free space on my HDD though as only 33 GB is being used out of 580 GB.

I've never thought about buying the PRO version, but the free one works just fine. Unless you have so much money you don't know what else to spend it on, I wouldn't bother if I were you.
evil c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2013, 20:06
max99
Forum Member

Quick Scan on a regular basis and a Full Scan every now and again or if you suspect you may be infected.

A Full Scan can take a good couple of hours on some systems, so just leave it run in the background or while you're doing something else.
max99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2013, 20:07
LION8TIGER
Forum Member

I do a quick scan with Malwarebytes and Antivirus once a week and a full scan with both every couple of months.
LION8TIGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2013, 20:48
albertd
Forum Member

Thanks for the various responses. Yes, the full scan is very slow. My C: drive has about 300GB on it and it took over 3 hours to scan it today.

I will probably stick to quick scan unless there is any obvious signs of a problem, though in 5 years of this PC there never has been any so far (fingers crossed!).
albertd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2013, 21:15
soulboy77
Forum Member

Stick the scan on to run overnight.
soulboy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2013, 21:15
tealady
Forum Member

Also, is the PRO version value for money?
Full version is real time, so handy for DS. Think it was only 20, which I thought was worth it.
tealady is online now   Reply With Quote