Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Alexandra Burke Announces Royal Albert Hall Residency / Will Tribute Bille Holiday

Old 25-03-2013, 14:46
Barry_Clarke
Forum Member

Alexandra Burke Announces Royal Albert Hall Residency / Will Tribute ‘Lady Sings The Blues’

This is an amazing gig for Alexandra, and I hope that these are some of the sounds that she will be experimenting with on her US debut Album.

Thoughts?

Read more: http://thatgrapejuice.net/2013/03/al...#ixzz2OYxPfr00
Follow us: @ThatGrapeJuice on Twitter | ThatGrapeJuiceOfficial on Facebook
Barry_Clarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 25-03-2013, 14:59
cnbcwatcher
Forum Member

Interesting news. Let's hope she gets the career boost she needs after the flop that was Heartbreak On Hold.
cnbcwatcher is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2013, 15:01
Barry_Clarke
Forum Member

A little more information has been included in the Digital Spy Article -

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/music/ne...ampaign=twdsuk
Old 25-03-2013, 15:07
ashtray88
Forum Member

Does this mean she is now living in the Royal Albert Hall? Poor thing.
ashtray88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2013, 17:08
FMKK
Forum Member

She's going to 'tribute' Billie Holiday? Something tells me that ain't gonna be pretty.
FMKK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2013, 17:16
little-monster
Forum Member

Hmm interesting career move. She is going back to the music where is at her best, but to take on Billie Holiday, who today still has one of the most unique voices to have ever been heard.

Good luck to her
little-monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2013, 18:22
Zack06
Forum Member

I'm happy she has landed such a great venue. She certainly has the vocals to pull off those songs, so it will be a great opportunity for her before her 3rd album comes out later this year.
Zack06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2013, 20:47
FMKK
Forum Member

I'm happy she has landed such a great venue. She certainly has the vocals to pull off those songs, so it will be a great opportunity for her before her 3rd album comes out later this year.
It's not big vocals that she needs to pull off a Billie Holiday song. Billie Holiday didn't have a big vocal range. She did have a very distinctive voice and styling.
Old 25-03-2013, 21:21
paulbax
Forum Member

I'm happy that she's getting to showcase her voice again in a way that totally takes her out of the horribly corrupt uk pop scene for a little while. Hopefully she can still finish her 3rd album though while she's doing this!
paulbax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2013, 22:39
iseloid
Forum Member

It's not big vocals that she needs to pull off a Billie Holiday song. Billie Holiday didn't have a big vocal range. She did have a very distinctive voice and styling.
True. But it will be interesting to see how she sings them. Alex is a powerhouse, but she´s great when she holds back at times, as Before The Rain showed. Anywho, a residency is a residency. I tried to get on the site but nothing came up...how much are tickets?
iseloid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2013, 11:39
Barry_Clarke
Forum Member

gig went on sale 9 this morning, 3 shows sold out already
Old 27-03-2013, 18:19
iseloid
Forum Member

gig went on sale 9 this morning, 3 shows sold out already
The whole thing´s gone now. Shame. I´ll have to rely on YT
Old 28-03-2013, 12:38
speedyboi
Forum Member

People do realise that she isn't actually playing "The Albert Hall" don't they? The article says that she is playing The Elgar Room in the Albert Hall which holds about 300 people I would guess. I've seem a couple of bands play there (like the late great Pete and the Pirates) and its a really great little room for seeing bands in an "intimate" setting.
speedyboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2013, 12:49
FMKK
Forum Member

I'm happy that she's getting to showcase her voice again in a way that totally takes her out of the horribly corrupt uk pop scene for a little while. Hopefully she can still finish her 3rd album though while she's doing this!
She's just as much a part of the horribly corrupt pop scene as any other.
Old 28-03-2013, 14:35
iseloid
Forum Member

People do realise that she isn't actually playing "The Albert Hall" don't they? The article says that she is playing The Elgar Room in the Albert Hall which holds about 300 people I would guess. I've seem a couple of bands play there (like the late great Pete and the Pirates) and its a really great little room for seeing bands in an "intimate" setting.
She seems to like small gigs. She did that for her first tour which was odd, because it ought to have been bigger. She is great in a small setting though. You really get to hear her voice and get chills
Old 28-03-2013, 14:36
iseloid
Forum Member

She's just as much a part of the horribly corrupt pop scene as any other.
Of course. Everyone is part of the same machine. It's called making money. BIG money
Old 28-03-2013, 17:11
little-monster
Forum Member

Good for her for selling out the dates

Just goes to show despite a flop album, there is still an interest in her. I can't wait for her to come back with album 3. Overcome was a great debut.
little-monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2013, 17:14
kimindex
Forum Member

She's got a good voice and needs that to be the important thing, not songs with rappers and second-rate dance routines so I hope this works for her.

I love Billie Holiday but that doesn't make me think she can't do her justice. I even think Nina Simone does a better job of Strange Fruit which some might regard as blasphemy.
kimindex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2013, 18:21
iseloid
Forum Member

She's got a good voice and needs that to be the important thing, not songs with rappers and second-rate dance routines so I hope this works for her.

I love Billie Holiday but that doesn't make me think she can't do her justice. I even think Nina Simone does a better job of Strange Fruit which some might regard as blasphemy.
That is the song I neeeed her to sing! I might just die of excitement!