Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Windows XP April 2014

Old 25-03-2013, 18:50
Sexbomb
Forum Member

Will you still use this OS after the last support updates in a year's time?
Sexbomb is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 25-03-2013, 18:57
ProDave
Forum Member

I will use it until I find an overwhelming reason to change.

As long as my PC continues to function and do all I want of it, I see no reason to change.

I've had automatic updates turned off for some time now, so April 2014 will make no difference. I might just allow it to catch up with updates once more before "the end" but I really see no reason to bother.
ProDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2013, 19:04
Sexbomb
Forum Member

I'll just re-image it after the final updates have been put on but i still haven't found a better operating system for stability after XP, Vista rubbish, 7 i find too slow & 8 issues with graphic driver updates making screen black after updating.
Sexbomb is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2013, 20:17
Maxatoria
Forum Member

There will be people writing custom patches etc to enable functions etc but if you'd trust some guy named xXSepir07HXx to write patches for your machine is another matter, the market for xp will pretty much die out anyway over time due to people having to replace dead stuff and if theres no drivers for the features in XP then its either lose it or sit there and learn how to code XP drivers and for most people they'll just say well if i have to use win 7 to be able to use my graphics card then so be it
Maxatoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2013, 21:22
cnbcwatcher
Forum Member

I have an old desktop from 2003 which will continue to run XP until the computer snuffs it altogether. When that happens it'll probably be replaced with an iMac.
cnbcwatcher is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2013, 21:22
TheBigM
Forum Member

I've generally been an early adopter of new tech. Not wanting to move to Windows 8 on a traditional desktop or laptop is understandable but so much progress has been made since XP on things like modern browsers, hardware acceleration, security features, libraries, print drivers, desktop windowing, built-in DVD burning etc etc.

Frankly, I reckon security is a good enough reason to upgrade from XP. I think limiting yourself to older technologies is a good enough reason to move on.
TheBigM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2013, 23:16
Earake
Forum Member

I agree with cnbcwatcher's first sentence.

I'm certainly not dumping one of the best Microsoft products ever released just because updates are no longer available.

Once my laptop dies a natural death then I'll consider the alternatives.
Earake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2013, 08:36
Daedroth
Forum Member

I will continue to use Windows XP on the computers in work until they die or are replaced in the replacement cycle. We have a mix of Windows XP and Windows 7 machines, and will probably have XP on some machines for a few more years yet.
Daedroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2013, 09:14
TheBigM
Forum Member

I agree with cnbcwatcher's first sentence.

I'm certainly not dumping one of the best Microsoft products ever released just because updates are no longer available.

Once my laptop dies a natural death then I'll consider the alternatives.
Upgrading is hardly "dumping", it's just getting something even better.

By that token, are you still with the versions of your browser released in 2001, are you still using Office XP?
Old 26-03-2013, 09:30
Smiley433
Forum Member

If the hardware is still going at that time then I see no reason to stop using XP. But if I find I need to get a new machine before April 2014 then I'll probably have to change to Win7 or Win8.
Smiley433 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2013, 09:37
Sandy Nerja
Forum Member

By that token, are you still with the versions of your browser released in 2001, are you still using Office XP?
Well I am still using Microsoft Office 2000 as it is leaner, faster and not full of bloat like the latest versions. Why pay for something that is actually worse?

Although Win7 is more reliable than XP, its not a big enough step up to make it worth the expense and hassle of upgrading for many people.
Sandy Nerja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2013, 10:05
soulboy77
Forum Member

Well I am still using Microsoft Office 2000 as it is leaner, faster and not full of bloat like the latest versions. Why pay for something that is actually worse?

Although Win7 is more reliable than XP, its not a big enough step up to make it worth the expense and hassle of upgrading for many people.
XP is miles more efficient than 2000 and importantly more secure.

I have recently moved to Windows 7 and have been quietly impressed. There is no reason I can see to go to Windows 8.
soulboy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2013, 10:09
boyzie
Forum Member

Yes,I'm gonna stick with XP,fastest there is so far and suits me down to the ground.Also have my updates turned off.
boyzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2013, 10:17
barky99
Forum Member

So long as security software vendors still support XP I'd see no reason to stop using it until system it's on is no longer usable.
Lower spec machines could run linux (of some sort) instead & even run windows apps via wine
barky99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2013, 10:31
flagpole
Inactive Member

Do we know they will definitely stop all updates?

I find it hard to believe that if someone stumble across a critical security bug they are going to leave it and 15% of the worlds computers unpatched.
flagpole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2013, 10:51
Stig
Forum Member

I find it hard to believe that if someone stumble across a critical security bug they are going to leave it and 15% of the worlds computers unpatched.
They have been warning everyone for years that support is ending, so yes!
Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2013, 10:57
TheBigM
Forum Member

XP is already on extended support so only those who pay for support are getting updates.
Old 26-03-2013, 10:59
TheBigM
Forum Member

Why would I pay?

The new interface has exposed existing features to me in an easy way that I can now make use of and has enabled me to create better documents.

The tooltips have helped me in learning keyboard combinations that make me faster and more proficient in creating files.

The new versions are compatible with each other meaning you have no problem reading and editing documents sent to you in the latest formats.
Old 26-03-2013, 11:17
Maxatoria
Forum Member

There will be people who will hack the code and produce patches to fix problems but they'll be unofficial and if you want to trust them then fine but basically windowsupdate site for xp won't get any new updates and they'll move the support teams to some new task and seal the code and about 14 years of support for an operating system is already well beyond the normal time frames
Maxatoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2013, 11:19
c4rv
Forum Member

XP is already on extended support so only those who pay for support are getting updates.
security updates were possible are publicly available until end of support. What has been stopped is any new features and compatibility with application upgrades like IE and MSE.

As for those not wishing to update, there are between new 10 and 15 security updates a month on average. That means 10 to 15 different ways for an attacker to gain access to your system. With all the best will in the world, anti-virus, safe surfing and other good practices that still means that there will known exploits for XP that will be going un-patched. Do you really want to risk it ?
c4rv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2013, 11:29
SnowStorm86
Forum Member

I suppose those not wishing to upgrade from XP are running computers with <= 4GB RAM.
SnowStorm86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2013, 12:49
darkisland
Forum Member

I use Cubase on XP - and I've not found a better MS platform for it, so I'll be hanging on until the bitter end..
darkisland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2013, 13:01
cnbcwatcher
Forum Member

I still have it on the old desktop, mostly for Clippit and the older interface, which I preferred to that bloody ribbon in the newer MS Office versions.
cnbcwatcher is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2013, 14:07
Quackers
Forum Member

Where XP suits the hardware or applications better i will still be using XP. If you actually bother to read the info with the security updates most of them would not even affect you or need a very specific setup for you to even be vunrable to the attack.

For example take this one from 2003

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/823980

You would have to be silly to have RDP internet facing, so as long as its blocked on your firewall it will not even affect you.

Just a few people think no security updates throw there arms in the air and think their computer is suddenly going to explode when the truth is they are quite well protected already.
Quackers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2013, 15:58
flagpole
Inactive Member

There will be people who will hack the code and produce patches to fix problems but they'll be unofficial and if you want to trust them then fine but basically windowsupdate site for xp won't get any new updates and they'll move the support teams to some new task and seal the code and about 14 years of support for an operating system is already well beyond the normal time frames
it is. but then it was on sale for longer too.

the day after support ends there will be a raft of exploits put in to the wild.

bet they patch them.
flagpole is offline   Reply With Quote