Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

3 Signal

Old 26-03-2013, 15:16
Ross1874
Forum Member

Has anyone on 3 in edinburgh been having issues with the signal? i have always got full h+ signal in my house until sunday now the signal constantly drops to two bars, i have phoned three twice and was told of the first person there is problems with the local mast then the second person told me that my local mast wasnt showing any problems.
Ross1874 is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 26-03-2013, 16:12
Thine Wonk
Forum Member

2 bars is as good as 5, it's digital. You shouldn't really see much of an issue with 2 bars.
Thine Wonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2013, 16:39
huwdw
Forum Member

2 bars is as good as 5, it's digital. You shouldn't really see much of an issue with 2 bars.
For calls and texts I would agree, but not data.
huwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2013, 18:02
carguy143
Forum Member

For calls and texts I would agree, but not data.
Agreed. Lower signal = higher battery drain and slower speeds.
carguy143 is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2013, 19:16
Thine Wonk
Forum Member

It shouldn't impact speeds that much, or battery by more than a slight amount. You're never guaranteed 5 bars with any operator. If 3 decided to lower the power of a cell or switch one off and you only got 2 bars then there's not a lot you could do, even in contract. 2 bars is still perfectly suitable, what speeds are you getting?
Old 26-03-2013, 20:55
DevonBloke
Forum Member

Yet another propaganda post by the usual suspects above.... Hahahahahahaha....
Sorry Thine, I couldn't resist, I should know better
You are indeed mostly correct. I would say that 2 bars often does often show slower speeds than 3 or above. The carrier is going to start getting a lot of glitches and white noise at that level which I find does impact on speed quite a lot. Having said that, I have an iPhone 5 so what do I know.
Of course there's a world of difference between a good 2 bars and 2 bars verging on 1 bar and also 2 bars on one handset is not the same as another.
As a general rule, before I put on my anorak to do a speed test I make sure I have 3 bars or more just to be safe... and sad!
DevonBloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2013, 20:59
DevonBloke
Forum Member

Wave if you saw that last post it was intended to be light hearted and not a dig at you. These things are difficult to get across in text.
Old 26-03-2013, 21:00
Thine Wonk
Forum Member

Whenever I have a good bar or 2 on my S3 I get decent speed tests. My phone sits in an area with 1 bar most of the day and I don't see any big battery drain. My phone only uses 20% of it's battery during a full work day on 1 bar.
Old 26-03-2013, 21:05
DevonBloke
Forum Member

To the OP, it could be the current upgrades taking place acorss the country of course. Down here masts are up and down like a ****** knickers at the moment.
3G coverage is fluctuating wildly as well for short periods then normal again. had no 3G at all the other day. Just GPRS. then it came on again on Monday morning. Apparently a lot of upgrades and tweaking are done at the weekends.
Old 26-03-2013, 21:08
DevonBloke
Forum Member

Whenever I have a good bar or 2 on my S3 I get decent speed tests. My phone sits in an area with 1 bar most of the day and I don't see any big battery drain. My phone only uses 20% of it's battery during a full work day on 1 bar.
Damn it, I knew I should have not pandered to Apple again! Are you going to get an S4? What's the story with those? been so busy with all my crap, I've been a bit out of the loop.
Old 26-03-2013, 21:15
Thine Wonk
Forum Member

Damn it, I knew I should have not pandered to Apple again! Are you going to get an S4? What's the story with those? been so busy with all my crap, I've been a bit out of the loop.
Yeah will be getting the LTE version when I can preorder it with Amazon, which should be any day now.

I can't wait, the S4 looks it's it's a nice handset, not as good looking as the HTC One, which is stunning, but better spec and nicer screen.
Old 26-03-2013, 21:29
DevonBloke
Forum Member

Where are you located? I probably know but my head is fuzz. When do you reckon you'll get LTE? I assume the S4 is 800/1800 LTE? I'm watching Three closely to see their rollout plan. I do like them as a network. As you know though, 2G fall-back is essential for me as live in the back of beyond!
Old 26-03-2013, 21:32
jabbamk1
Forum Member

To the OP, it could be the current upgrades taking place acorss the country of course. Down here masts are up and down like a ****** knickers at the moment.
3G coverage is fluctuating wildly as well for short periods then normal again. had no 3G at all the other day. Just GPRS. then it came on again on Monday morning. Apparently a lot of upgrades and tweaking are done at the weekends.
Sounds like this is the most plausible reason.

jabbamk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2013, 21:35
DevonBloke
Forum Member

Sounds like this is the most plausible reason.

What, the fluctuating coverage or the knickers??
Old 27-03-2013, 00:45
jabbamk1
Forum Member

What, the fluctuating coverage or the knickers??
Knickers...
Old 27-03-2013, 12:26
Ross1874
Forum Member

It shouldn't impact speeds that much, or battery by more than a slight amount. You're never guaranteed 5 bars with any operator. If 3 decided to lower the power of a cell or switch one off and you only got 2 bars then there's not a lot you could do, even in contract. 2 bars is still perfectly suitable, what speeds are you getting?
Before sunday I would always get between 9-15mb now It struggles to get 1
Ross1874 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2013, 12:38
jabbamk1
Forum Member

Before sunday I would always get between 9-15mb now It struggles to get 1
sounds like maintenance or upgrades. I doubt they'd just turn your local mast off :P

Give it a week and it should be fine. But ring up their CS and see if you can get them to refund the outage.
Old 27-03-2013, 14:03
The Lord Lucan
Forum Member

Lots of work going on in Edinburgh as they and EE finish the whole city. It will be one of the first cities completed
Wekends are the worst between Friday eve to early on Monday. Won't be long now.
The Lord Lucan is offline   Reply With Quote