Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Defiance (360/PS3/PC)

Old 30-03-2013, 21:12
2Dshmuplover
Forum Member

So anyone else excited for this game? I'll be honest I never even knew about it until recently since there's been a distinct lack of hype for it, I guess that might be because there's been so many high profile releases these past few weeks.

So for those that don't know here's a brief rundown. Defiance is a very rare breed indeed, a full blooded MMO on consoles! It's been five years in the making, no additional subscription fees are needed to play and it supports over 100 players at any one time in the game world. It's an open world TPS with RPG elements and is tied to the upcoming Television series, it features multi-objective on-foot and vehicular combat.

IGN gave a great one hour run-through with the developers on the 360 version which does good job of filling you in on what to expect, you can watch it HERE

I personally think it's looking pretty swish, one great point is that the while the game supports voicechat it also supports full text chat too (via wireless k/bs or the chatpad etc), this is great because the game will retain atmosphere and judging from those who have been taking part in the Beta, nearly everyone is using this method of communication.

Release date is this coming Tuesday April 2nd. I think I may even pick this up before Bioshock Infinite tbh, I really didn't see this one coming but I like it!
2Dshmuplover is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 30-03-2013, 21:48
The Special One
Forum Member

I was looking at this today in Asda and didnt realise it has been released yet?
The Special One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2013, 21:52
2Dshmuplover
Forum Member

It's no supposed to be till Tuesday. Naughty Asda.
Old 30-03-2013, 22:03
Bester
Forum Member

Probably one of the 5 pre-order placeholder cases.

I'll definitely be giving this a look, but I've no idea when I'll actually get to it. Currently in the middle of a Mass Effect trilogy play through, and then onto a Bioshock trilogy play. Defiance will probably fit in after that, before Fuse comes out.
Bester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2013, 22:05
The Special One
Forum Member

Probably one of the 5 pre-order placeholder cases.
Nah it said nothing about pre ordering and it was in the Xbox chart. Didnt notice it in the PS3 chart though.
The Special One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2013, 22:08
Bester
Forum Member

Nah it said nothing about pre ordering and it was in the Xbox chart. Didnt notice it in the PS3 chart though.
Looks like someone jumped the gun!

Unfortunately my local ASDA were not as thoughtful. Tvvats.
Bester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2013, 22:09
barracuda91
Forum Member

Been looking forward to this for a while because I'm really interested in the TV show. I think it's really cool to have a game that supplements a show and vice versa, looking forward to see how they work with that.

My boyfriend got into the beta for it a couple of months back so I got to play it and it was really fun. I'm not really an MMO person, but I'm definitely picking this up, perhaps not straight away though.
barracuda91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2013, 22:33
2Dshmuplover
Forum Member

Yeah people who have played the beta said it's very addictive, it's a lot of this gamer feedback that's got me quite excited for it.

It's worth mentioning the game does require a HDD for the Xbox 360 version (or you can use USB sticks, though HDD is recommended) if anyone is stuck with a basic model. There's no exclusive DLC hidden behind paywalls either aside from optional XP boosts, all loot in the game is available to earn which is refreshing for this type of game where you would think in this day and age micro-transactions would be a prominent feature.

There's some major DLC expansions planned for the future too. Defiance really could be a more underground hit of 2013.
Old 30-03-2013, 22:48
MartinImber
Forum Member

This is an interesting idea, it could be really good, or it could bomb, and what about non US players for the TV show, or is it a web show?
MartinImber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2013, 23:27
Seawolf
Forum Member

Really hope they have improved it since the beta as it was not good - good idea, not well implemented.
Seawolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2013, 23:46
barracuda91
Forum Member

This is an interesting idea, it could be really good, or it could bomb, and what about non US players for the TV show, or is it a web show?
The show is aired in the UK the day after it airs in the US. I'm not sure about other countries though.
barracuda91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2013, 00:21
2Dshmuplover
Forum Member

It's confirmed that Asda broke the street date.

There are 1000's of guns in this game and are all customisable, it's similar to Borderlands in that respect. Here's a really good trailer that explains some of the weapons and environments. [link]
Old 31-03-2013, 09:46
Ladyxxmacbeth
Forum Member

I would buy it but lack of cash prevents me (damn merlin passes)!maybe I'll see if the rental people will lend it too me
Ladyxxmacbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2013, 15:52
2Dshmuplover
Forum Member

We could form a DS clan, it allows up to 50 players but it is limited to each platform. I'd be up for that, could be good fun. I won't be picking this game up for a couple of weeks as I'm a bit strapped for cash myself.
Old 31-03-2013, 19:23
Ladyxxmacbeth
Forum Member

i'd be up for that !
Ladyxxmacbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2013, 19:47
Speedloafer
Forum Member

Any early reviews?
Speedloafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:15
seanf
Forum Member

I think ill be getting this so add xbox tag DI sittingduck if you like
seanf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 16:05
XxBlaKOuTZxX
Forum Member

Yeah I'm interested in 'Defiance'. Although I won't be getting it for a few weeks. Spent too much on games already but i'm def getting it

I saw an advert for the series that's starting soon. Play the game and watch the series lol gonna be good.
XxBlaKOuTZxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 17:49
TOONARMY12
Forum Member

Is this game online only?. Can you play offline like Borderlands etc?
TOONARMY12 is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 18:37
2Dshmuplover
Forum Member

Yeah I'm interested in 'Defiance'. Although I won't be getting it for a few weeks. Spent too much on games already but i'm def getting it

I saw an advert for the series that's starting soon. Play the game and watch the series lol gonna be good.
We will definitely play this online together!

Reviews should be coming out tomorrow, I don't see how it's possible to fully review games like this since this is something that will evolve over time (they recommend 10gb HDD space on day 1, some large patches/updates included). I don't expect high scores but I don't care. There's something about this game I love the look of.
Old 01-04-2013, 18:39
2Dshmuplover
Forum Member

Is this game online only?. Can you play offline like Borderlands etc?
You can play single player but afaik it is online only, you have to connect to their servers for it to work.
Old 01-04-2013, 18:42
TOONARMY12
Forum Member

You can play single player but afaik it is online only, you have to connect to their servers for it to work.
Bugger
TOONARMY12 is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 20:33
Speedloafer
Forum Member

An MMO has been badly needed on consoles. Lets hope it works. No reviews yet
Old 02-04-2013, 14:44
2Dshmuplover
Forum Member

Oh well, caved in and picked this up at lunch. HMV weren't even selling it! so it doesn't seem like there's too many copies about. I nearly bought the collectors edition since it looked so cool but at 65 it's too much of a risk in case the game isn't all that great, and might not have much resale value. I settled for the limited edition with some extra weapons.
Old 02-04-2013, 14:47
Speedloafer
Forum Member

Oh well, caved in and picked this up at lunch. HMV weren't even selling it! so it doesn't seem like there's too many copies about. I nearly bought the collectors edition since it looked so cool but at 65 it's too much of a risk in case the game isn't all that great, and might not have much resale value. I settled for the limited edition with some extra weapons.
I was thinking of getting it, but the lack of any review at all anywhere, after its release date is a huge warning sign for me.