Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Liverpool 80s.

Old 03-04-2013, 13:31
Lazlo_St_Pierre
Forum Member

What's your favourite Liverpool band from the 80s?

So many to choose from - Bunnymen, Frankie, Teardrop, Icicle Works, Lightning Seeds, Flock of Seagulls, Christians, Wah...

What about the little known ones like Cook da Books and Modern Eon?

This is brilliant, why wasn't this a hit?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EspxFOcglCE

A lot of it came out of the Eric's scene of course. I was only little then, but if I had a time machine and go back as the age I am now, I'd be there every night seeing who I'd meet!

Anyway, here's a thread if anyone wants one.
Lazlo_St_Pierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 03-04-2013, 14:20
RetroMusicFan
Forum Member

Frankie and Flock Of Seagulls.
RetroMusicFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 19:04
vauxhall1964
Forum Member

Frankie Goes to Hollywood and Echo & the Bunnymen...but i have a soft spot for China Crisis too
vauxhall1964 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 19:21
AKindSoul
Forum Member

China Crisis and A Flock of Seagulls
AKindSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 19:27
speedy_gonzales
Forum Member

the la's
speedy_gonzales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 19:40
shackfan
Forum Member

What's your favourite Liverpool band from the 80s?

So many to choose from - Bunnymen, Frankie, Teardrop, Icicle Works, Lightning Seeds, Flock of Seagulls, Christians, Wah...

What about the little known ones like Cook da Books and Modern Eon?

This is brilliant, why wasn't this a hit?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EspxFOcglCE

A lot of it came out of the Eric's scene of course. I was only little then, but if I had a time machine and go back as the age I am now, I'd be there every night seeing who I'd meet!

Anyway, here's a thread if anyone wants one.
Childs Play was even better by them. Great band.
The Pale Fountains who later became Shack (look at my name ) would just nudge it, but what a fantastic choice. And what about Lotus Eaters and Care? And don't forget Wild Swans who brought us one of the best singles of the era, Revolutionary Spirit?
shackfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 20:16
cody jarrett
Forum Member

OMD for me.
cody jarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 20:39
Lazlo_St_Pierre
Forum Member

Childs Play was even better by them. Great band.
The Pale Fountains who later became Shack (look at my name ) would just nudge it, but what a fantastic choice. And what about Lotus Eaters and Care? And don't forget Wild Swans who brought us one of the best singles of the era, Revolutionary Spirit?
I knew I'd left loads out as soon as I posted. Love Lotus Eaters, not just 'First Picture' but everything.

I loved The Sundays in the 90s, and everyone said 'Smiths and Marr', but when I listen to their (Sundays) early tracks, I can't help turning back to 'When You Look At Boys'. Gorgeous song... one of the best of all time...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qkgw3fk3ob4
Old 03-04-2013, 20:41
Lazlo_St_Pierre
Forum Member

Wirral mate.

Nah, they're allowed and still active of course. McCluskey's got a lot of making up to do for Atomic Kitten though...
Old 03-04-2013, 20:42
Jon Ross
Forum Member

Frankie weren't a good group, they were just a good production. They owed EVERYTHING to Trevor Horn, who was the real genius there, and he's not a Scouser.
Jon Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 20:53
cody jarrett
Forum Member

Wirral mate.

Nah, they're allowed and still active of course. McCluskey's got a lot of making up to do for Atomic Kitten though...
Oh yes, I'd forgotten he inflicted Atomic Kitten on us!

Always had a soft spot for The Christians too - Forgotten Town, When The Fingers Point, Born Again... brilliant debut album.
Old 03-04-2013, 20:56
Lazlo_St_Pierre
Forum Member

Here's another name to conjure, White and Torch...

Liverpool's answer to the Walker Brothers!

Yeah!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4bxJ-GbBMI

(This is the re-working, there's a less-produced version from a few years earlier, but this should've done somthing as a single, no mention in my Guinness Book though)
Old 03-04-2013, 20:58
Lazlo_St_Pierre
Forum Member

Frankie weren't a good group, they were just a good production. They owed EVERYTHING to Trevor Horn, who was the real genius there, and he's not a Scouser.
Holly Johnson wrote good songs tbf. And he's a fun personality with a distinctive voice who could project the project lol.

But yeah, Trevor Horne was the main protagonist.

Paul Morley could write a mean t-shirt slogan...
Old 03-04-2013, 21:01
Lazlo_St_Pierre
Forum Member

Oh yes, I'd forgotten he inflicted Atomic Kitten on us!

Always had a soft spot for The Christians too - Forgotten Town, When The Fingers Point, Born Again... brilliant debut album.
It's Immaterial as well come to mention it, I've never heard any of their stuff Henry Priestman played on, I think there were just a few flop singles, but there's a connection there.
Old 03-04-2013, 21:24
shackfan
Forum Member

Here's another name to conjure, White and Torch...

Liverpool's answer to the Walker Brothers!

Yeah!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4bxJ-GbBMI

(This is the re-working, there's a less-produced version from a few years earlier, but this should've done somthing as a single, no mention in my Guinness Book though)
Didn't know they were scourers. Parade was my favourite. I think Rhydian did a version recently.
Old 03-04-2013, 21:32
shackfan
Forum Member

Another favourite of mine.... Black as in Wonderful Life. In fact really Colin Vearncombe. Saw them /him in about 1988 and was brilliant. Bought first single by them in about 1983 after John Peel played it.... More than the sun. Amazing voice. Another Scott Walker fan I guess.
Old 04-04-2013, 07:29
shackfan
Forum Member

Another one is, and you will probably laugh, but....Dead or Alive Their early stuff was actually very good.
Old 05-04-2013, 10:46
Multimedia81
Forum Member

I think my fave Scouse song from the 80s was Echo & the Bunnymen with Seven Seas.
Multimedia81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 14:40
Lazlo_St_Pierre
Forum Member

Another one is, and you will probably laugh, but....Dead or Alive Their early stuff was actually very good.
Actually, that's a good call.

I never knew the song at the time, but I was on one of those 'obscure singles' blogs that feature mp3s you can listen to, and on it was what I think was the first Dead or Alive single, called 'I'm Falling' and it was very good indeed... certainly in the Modern Eon, early Wah range...

So where did it all go wrong? Probably when someone said 'Pete Burns? Come and meet Pete Waterman....'
Old 05-04-2013, 14:43
Lazlo_St_Pierre
Forum Member

I think my fave Scouse song from the 80s was Echo & the Bunnymen with Seven Seas.
The whole Ocean Rain album is epic - they did a tour recently with full orchestral backing, and it was immense.

It all reminds me of the Garden Festival, my brother was listening to the album non-stop at the time, so I imagine the songs were still running through my head when we were all going round.
Old 05-04-2013, 16:01
cody jarrett
Forum Member

The whole Ocean Rain album is epic - they did a tour recently with full orchestral backing, and it was immense.

It all reminds me of the Garden Festival, my brother was listening to the album non-stop at the time, so I imagine the songs were still running through my head when we were all going round.
I remember being dragged along to the Garden Festival! Two Tribes was no1 at the time!
Old 05-04-2013, 17:43
Boselecta
Forum Member

Shack are my faves. The Pale Fountains passed me by but I think they disbanded after the death of one of their members and Mickey Head formed Shack out of the ashes.
Boselecta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 18:04
jackol
Forum Member

The Farm
The LA's
jackol is offline   Reply With Quote