Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

World War Z

Old 13-07-2013, 13:48
Trsvis_Bickle
Inactive Member

Just seen it and I'm really curious about what the original vision was. I can't believe that Brad's agent told him that it would consist of a travelogue where he flies from place to place, escaping from zombies in a series of increasingly improbable ways, pausing only to attempt to phone his wife.

There were quite a few unintentionally comic moments, amongst them:

Spoiler

Not to mention some rather daft plot holes:

Spoiler

I never felt any real sense of tension or impending danger; you always know Brad's going to make it. The intrinsic problem with any zombie flick is that zombies aren't very scary. From that Michael Jackson music video to Romero's films to video games, they've always been inherently rather comical and the stories about them tongue-in-cheek.

I think that the film failed by not showing enough of the human tragedy which would be behind such an apocalyptic scenario. One tracking shot in Terminator, showing humans reduced to living in rags in hovels, huddled around a fire in an empty TV set told us more about how far humanity had fallen than anything in World War Z. I suspect that, in many ways, the filmmakers were hamstrung by chasing a 15 rating.

It has piqued my interest in reading the novel but as a film it was very poor. This is a shame as Brad Pitt has delivered some of his best work in the past few years and is at the top of his game.
Trsvis_Bickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 13-07-2013, 21:21
Sez_babe
Forum Member

I think it's definitely shown Brad in a different light as an actor, well to me anyway
Sez_babe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2013, 22:14
big brother 9
Forum Member

Really enjoyed it. Bradds best film in my opinion since snatch
big brother 9 is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2013, 01:13
hume
Forum Member

Just come back from watching this film. I loved it. Full of suspense, action and genuinely scary throughout.
Highly recommended.
hume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2013, 12:58
mary patricia
Forum Member

Spoiler
mary patricia is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2013, 16:01
Honestweegie
Forum Member

Id love to go and see it but only cause its set in my hood.... but I hate zombie films
Honestweegie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2013, 16:28
downtonfan
Forum Member

The Israel scenes and the plane scenes were my favourite bits
downtonfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2013, 17:19
Steve AWOL
Forum Member

Honest Trailers - World War Z - YouTube
Steve AWOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2013, 17:42
Syntax Error
Forum Member

Just seen it and I'm really curious about what the original vision was. I can't believe that Brad's agent told him that it would consist of a travelogue where he flies from place to place, escaping from zombies in a series of increasingly improbable ways, pausing only to attempt to phone his wife.

There were quite a few unintentionally comic moments, amongst them:

Spoiler

Spoiler

I never felt any real sense of tension or impending danger; you always know Brad's going to make it. The intrinsic problem with any zombie flick is that zombies aren't very scary. From that Michael Jackson music video to Romero's films to video games, they've always been inherently rather comical and the stories about them tongue-in-cheek.

I think that the film failed by not showing enough of the human tragedy which would be behind such an apocalyptic scenario. One tracking shot in Terminator, showing humans reduced to living in rags in hovels, huddled around a fire in an empty TV set told us more about how far humanity had fallen than anything in World War Z. I suspect that, in many ways, the filmmakers were hamstrung by chasing a 15 rating.

It has piqued my interest in reading the novel but as a film it was very poor. This is a shame as Brad Pitt has delivered some of his best work in the past few years and is at the top of his game.
Slow moving & shuffling zombies are not scary & are quite laughable, but the fast movers from films like Dawn Of The Dead (2004) & World War Z do add another dimension to the zombie legend & make them seem more threatening.
Syntax Error is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2013, 22:48
YorkshireKat
Forum Member

Slow moving & shuffling zombies are not scary & are quite laughable, but the fast movers from films like Dawn Of The Dead (2004) & World War Z do add another dimension to the zombie legend & make them seem more threatening.
Nah classic slow zombies are the best, when the zombie apocalypse arrives I'm afraid you're going to end up eaten....the slow movers are always underestimated in movies and end up getting you in numbers.

Nothing wrong with the 28 day later/DOTD remake type things but there not really zombies to me, old school shufflers for me!
YorkshireKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2013, 23:05
ironjade
Forum Member

I think it's definitely shown Brad in a different light as an actor, well to me anyway
He played the same shambling, scruffy mumbler he's played in everything else he's ever been in.
ironjade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2013, 23:31
Johnny Clay
Forum Member

I think that the film failed by not showing enough of the human tragedy which would be behind such an apocalyptic scenario. One tracking shot in Terminator, showing humans reduced to living in rags in hovels, huddled around a fire in an empty TV set told us more about how far humanity had fallen than anything in World War Z.
Would the timescale of the film allow that though? WWZ was very much a quick 'as it happens' affair - the action takes place over two or three days at most IIRC.

I enjoyed it more than I thought, although it did come across as 'Jack Bauer vs the Zombies' at times. Dash to A, dash to B, biff-bang etc. But perhaps the most visually arresting film of the summer. One overhead shot of a deserted Cardiff suburb stuck in the mind more than any collapsing city.

Nah classic slow zombies are the best, when the zombie apocalypse arrives I'm afraid you're going to end up eaten....the slow movers are always underestimated in movies and end up getting you in numbers.

Nothing wrong with the 28 day later/DOTD remake type things but there not really zombies to me, old school shufflers for me!
I broadly agree - but it irks me that we never much see the classic zombie move of them slowly rising from the ground or grave. Always adds an extra and much-needed frisson to their undeadness - something both Hammer and Fulci copped on to. I suppose runner zombies would then have to break out into a trot, which would look silly.
Johnny Clay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2013, 11:10
Trsvis_Bickle
Inactive Member

He played the same shambling, scruffy mumbler he's played in everything else he's ever been in.
You obviously haven't seen 'everything' he's been in. I suggest you see Fight Club or Killing Them Softly.
Trsvis_Bickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2013, 19:30
rhynoGB
Forum Member

i have a friend who was an extra on that film, man with a grey beard at the start of the carrier scene holding a piece of paper.
He's on screen alone for 3 seconds..he loved it and always talks about it
rhynoGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2013, 22:27
revolver44
Forum Member

It was average but worth seeing once. I found Brad's greasy hair distracting and hoped he'd pop in a chemist in one of the cities he visited and picked up some Head & Shoulders.
revolver44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2014, 00:52
Will_Bennetts
Forum Member

You obviously haven't seen 'everything' he's been in. I suggest you see Fight Club or Killing Them Softly.
Don't watch killing the, softly it will put you in a coma . But fight club is great though.
Will_Bennetts is offline   Reply With Quote