Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Acts who could never match up to their debut albums

Old 09-04-2013, 10:30
Pointy
Forum Member

I'm just wondering who other forum members think failed to live up to the promise of their first release. The obvious selection for me are Oasis. A stunning debut, with a fine follow-up.
However, after that they became a pale shadow of themselves. So, who are your nominees?
Pointy is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 09-04-2013, 10:38
embryo
Forum Member

Comus
Counting Crows
Guns N' Roses
Nas
Wu-Tang Clan
Van Halen
embryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 11:19
little-monster
Forum Member

Evanescence - Fallen (although i did like their second album The Open door just as much)
KT Tunstall - Eye to the telescope
Amy Macdonald - This is the life
Cheryl Cole - Three words
little-monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 13:23
walterwhite
Forum Member

I'm just wondering who other forum members think failed to live up to the promise of their first release. The obvious selection for me are Oasis. A stunning debut, with a fine follow-up.
However, after that they became a pale shadow of themselves. So, who are your nominees?
Oasis had a great follow up album to their debut so it's weird that you choose them as an example.
walterwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 13:38
Pink Knight
Forum Member

Pearl Jam ?
Pink Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 13:43
Pointy
Forum Member

Oasis had a great follow up album to their debut so it's weird that you choose them as an example.
Well, even Noel says they never topped Definitely Maybe. As I said in my original post, their follow-up was a fine album. However, What's The Story (Morning Glory)? is not AS good.
Old 09-04-2013, 13:45
Fast Fuse
Forum Member

Stone Roses
Fast Fuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 13:45
Pointy
Forum Member

Comus
Counting Crows
Guns N' Roses
Nas
Wu-Tang Clan
Van Halen
Nas is a great example!
Old 09-04-2013, 16:46
embryo
Forum Member

Definitely not for me, I don't think there's a huge gap in quality between any of their first 4 albums, and even after that they've never made a bad album. Commercially maybe, but then 'Vs.' sold incredibly well too.
Old 09-04-2013, 17:23
Hound of Love
Forum Member

De La Soul
Propaganda
Hound of Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 18:39
Pink Knight
Forum Member

Definitely not for me, I don't think there's a huge gap in quality between any of their first 4 albums, and even after that they've never made a bad album. Commercially maybe, but then 'Vs.' sold incredibly well too.
I like them, but nothing quite grabbed me like Ten.
Then again I could say the same about Manic Street Preachers.
Difficult for me to think as a lot of bands I like have done 2 or 3 good albums.
Maybe Cheap Trick, not an overly liked band in the UK but their first LP is great.
Pink Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 19:35
cnbcwatcher
Forum Member

The Saturdays. Chasing Lights was a great debut and they had the right sound and image but things went completely pear shaped after Wordshaker was released. Then they just followed trends (eg the 2011 dance trend) instead of finding a sound and sticking with it. I still love them though
cnbcwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 20:07
AceMcCloud
Forum Member

Bloc Party
AceMcCloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 20:35
Makson
Forum Member

Hard Fi - Stars of CCTV

It was always going to be a near impossible task to follow this up and so it proved. I still really liked Once Upon A Time In The West but their debut remains a masterpiece.
Makson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 10:59
Pointy
Forum Member

On thinking about it, Elastica and Supergrass are prime candidates as well.
Old 10-04-2013, 13:01
walterwhite
Forum Member

Well, even Noel says they never topped Definitely Maybe. As I said in my original post, their follow-up was a fine album. However, What's The Story (Morning Glory)? is not AS good.
That's Noel's opinion. To me, he's wrong.
Old 10-04-2013, 13:40
Julie_Roberts
Forum Member

Hard Fi - Stars of CCTV

It was always going to be a near impossible task to follow this up and so it proved. I still really liked Once Upon A Time In The West but their debut remains a masterpiece.
Killer sounds is more like Stars of cctv.
Julie_Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 13:42
walterwhite
Forum Member

Hard Fi - Stars of CCTV

Agree with this one, the first album is great, second album ok but after that it tails off dramatically.

They are/were absolutely awful live as well.
Old 10-04-2013, 14:00
Jambo_c
Forum Member

The Stereophonics - Word Gets Around was and still is a decent album. Pretty much everything they've done since is crap.

You can also apply the above statement to Coldplay and The Killers.

Kings of Leon have had a gradual decline, Youth and Young Manhood and Aha-Shake Heartbreak are good, the third is OK, then they released the one with Sex On Fire on and instantly became crap.
Jambo_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 14:12
O.Michel
Forum Member

Dido and Duffy spring to mind tbh
O.Michel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 15:31
gashead
Forum Member

Bjork. Debut was fantastic, with virtually every song being different but still 'accessible'. After that, she got more and more experimental (with the emphasis on mental) and whilst subsequent albums had one or two great songs, none of them grabbed me as much as Debut. I'd listen to Army Of Me, or All Is Full Of Love and then find myself changing the CD very quickly.
gashead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 15:47
embryo
Forum Member

Bjork. Debut was fantastic, with virtually every song being different but still 'accessible'. After that, she got more and more experimental (with the emphasis on mental) and whilst subsequent albums had one or two great songs, none of them grabbed me as much as Debut. I'd listen to Army Of Me, or All Is Full Of Love and then find myself changing the CD very quickly.
Interesting choice - personally I'd say she was the complete opposite of the thread title. 'Debut' for me is a good album but one where she is yet to fully reach her potential and define her sound like she would on her next few releases - 'Post', 'Homogenic' and 'Vespertine' are all absolute classics in my eyes, and 'Selmasongs' isn't far behind. Also, 'Debut' sounds pretty dated to me now, with all the early 90s house influences, whereas her others still sound pretty fresh overall.
Old 10-04-2013, 16:21
elasticlove
Forum Member

Amy Macdonald - This is the life
Do you think? Life in a Beautiful Light is my favourite by far.
elasticlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 16:36
Makson
Forum Member

Killer sounds is more like Stars of cctv.
No where near the same quality, unfortunately.
They spent forever recording it too which is never a good sign for any album.
Makson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 17:06
barbeler
Forum Member

The Sundays never bettered Reading Writing & Arithmetic

Catherine Wheel released a brilliant debut album with Ferment, but then tried and failed to go heavy metal. They later released the first Coldplay album before Coldplay even existed.

Marion released the brilliant This World And Body, but then released a patchy follow-up, which admittedly still had a few superb tracks on it.

Many people will argue that Suede never bettered their first album.

I thought the first Roxy Music album was the best they ever made before becoming a middle-of-the-road cabaret act.
barbeler is online now   Reply With Quote