Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

How many people have a 4g contract - Poll

View Poll Results: Do you have a 4G Contract?
Yes 15 15.79%
No - only 3g 80 84.21%
Voters: 95. You can't vote on this poll right now - are you signed in?

Old 10-04-2013, 16:06
andersonsonson
Forum Member

I got 10mbps 3G! in Glasgow today (EE customer), thats twice the speed of my home broadband. Won't be extra for 4g with these speeds. But thought I would do a poll as to how many people using 4g.
andersonsonson is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 10-04-2013, 17:43
dpwykes
Forum Member

I got 10mbps 3G! in Glasgow today (EE customer), thats twice the speed of my home broadband. Won't be extra for 4g with these speeds. But thought I would do a poll as to how many people using 4g.
I took out a 4G contract in the first week it launched.
dpwykes is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 19:12
Jwhiterz
Forum Member

Does being on A three contract count? as they said 4G will be available to everyone on their current plans. but we don't currently have 4G
Jwhiterz is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 19:50
wavejockglw
Forum Member

Does being on A three contract count? as they said 4G will be available to everyone on their current plans. but we don't currently have 4G
No it does not count as they will probably not have 4G (LTE) until late this year and it will likely be limited coverage to start with.

Only EE have 4G LTE presently and I suspect that is what the OP is asking about.
wavejockglw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 20:23
DD_nVidia
Forum Member

Would it be more fair to say those on EE - who has 4G and who doesn't?
DD_nVidia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 20:48
Steven L Hunter
Forum Member

Would it be more fair to say those on EE - who has 4G and who doesn't?
You can't be on EE unless you have 4G unless you mean people on Orange And T-Mobile?
Steven L Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 20:54
joshua_welby
Forum Member

You are ahead of the times, not every area can get an EE 4G signal yet, even where I live between Bedford and Cambridge has not got a signal, even in the Main Towns where I live have not got the signal yet

Only Luton and St Albans have been added near me, but not Cambridge and Bedford, no one knows when these towns will be added yet, if they will be added to the list at all
joshua_welby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 03:37
KieranDS
Forum Member

Just a normal 3G contract. Not interested in 4G.
KieranDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 06:18
charliesays
Forum Member

Switching from Orange to Three on 26th April when the S4 gets delivered.

Will be very interested in the ultrafast 3G and how it compares with 4G. Whatever the speed it will be a dream compared to Orange's laughable efforts. Can barely get a 3G signal and I live a gnat's pube outside of Liverpool city centre.

Their price hike last month was the final straw. Good riddance, I shall never return.
charliesays is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 14:59
madj40
Forum Member

4G here...
madj40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 17:26
wavejockglw
Forum Member

Whatever the speed it will be a dream compared to Orange's laughable efforts. Can barely get a 3G signal and I live a gnat's pube outside of Liverpool city centre.
Just one small point. Orange/T-Mobile share a radio access network with 3 so if Orange's coverage is not great theres a good chance 3's might be similar in the same area as both companies have been consolodating their transmission networks to be more cost effective.
wavejockglw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 22:51
tdenson
Forum Member

4G here, but no appreciable benefit over my previous Orange 3G service - other than actually working out cheaper
tdenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 22:58
jabbamk1
Forum Member

4G here, but no appreciable benefit over my previous Orange 3G service - other than actually working out cheaper
You keep mentioning this. So i'd just like to point out that the only reason it's cheaper is because you were paying over 30 for a sim only with Orange and getting royally ripped off.
jabbamk1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 23:18
davybhoy
Forum Member

You are ahead of the times, not every area can get an EE 4G signal yet, even where I live between Bedford and Cambridge has not got a signal, even in the Main Towns where I live have not got the signal yet

Only Luton and St Albans have been added near me, but not Cambridge and Bedford, no one knows when these towns will be added yet, if they will be added to the list at all
You don't need to be in a 4G area to have a 4G contract. I fit a 4G contract months before it was available in Belfast. Given you have to start a new 24 month contract when you switch over, and it was the same price, it made perfect sense for me to start the 24 month count down and wait on it arriving when I was paying no extra at all.
davybhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 23:30
tdenson
Forum Member

You keep mentioning this. So i'd just like to point out that the only reason it's cheaper is because you were paying over 30 for a sim only with Orange and getting royally ripped off.
Not true at all. I am paying exactly the same as I was paying before, except I get 50% more data. However, the real savings are the extras e.g. I was paying 35p per minute to pick up voicemail which is now free, and I was not being alerted to exceeding my data quota which was costing me dearly.

So, I repeat my statement. The only thing I really notice are cheaper bills.

The issue of whether my original Orange plan was value for money is not relevant, I chose to use Orange because I happen to like their coverage for where I go. I was simply observing that when I moved from Orange to EE on the same price plan the only thing I noticed was I typically pay less per month.
Old 12-04-2013, 00:02
JSemple3
Forum Member

4G too pricey/poor usage limits (EE) More than happy with my 3G
JSemple3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 00:19
jabbamk1
Forum Member

Not true at all. I am paying exactly the same as I was paying before, except I get 50% more data. However, the real savings are the extras e.g. I was paying 35p per minute to pick up voicemail which is now free, and I was not being alerted to exceeding my data quota which was costing me dearly.

So, I repeat my statement. The only thing I really notice are cheaper bills.

The issue of whether my original Orange plan was value for money is not relevant, I chose to use Orange because I happen to like their coverage for where I go. I was simply observing that when I moved from Orange to EE on the same price plan the only thing I noticed was I typically pay less per month.
But you're still paying more than 30pm for a sim only.

Am i the only one who see's what's wrong with that. You can get a Galaxy S4 for 26pm on contract. 31pm on a 4G ready contract.
jabbamk1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 08:59
tdenson
Forum Member

But you're still paying more than 30pm for a sim only.

Am i the only one who see's what's wrong with that. You can get a Galaxy S4 for 26pm on contract. 31pm on a 4G ready contract.
I am well aware of the alternatives out there. E.g. I have a Three 15/15Gb SIM on my iPad, I have a Three PAYG SIM in my Nexus 4 which I top up with their 15 bundle, I have a GiffGaff fiver a month SIM in my iPad Mini, my wife has the O2 20 Simplicity plan on her 4S and the TMobile 5 per year in her iPad.
However, on my primary phone I choose to use what happens to provide for me what I perceive is the best service. As it happens between myself and my family we make use of Orange Wednesday several times a month, effectively reducing the cost of my EE plan to around 15 - not bad for unlimited calls, texts and 3Gb data !
But all that misses the point. I was only saying that the only perceived benefit to me of EE compared with Orange is a reduction in my bills, this is fact.
Actually, I have just thought of one other advantage of 4G. When I go to Elland Road to watch Leeds United (no comments please) I can now use the Internet when I couldn't before due to congestion. I guess this will change in time as more people come onto the service.