Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

closest The Doctor has been to dying?

Old 12-04-2013, 13:11
james2018
Forum Member

I think perhaps in 'The Unicorn and the Wasp' where he gets poisoned....

Or maybe in Utopia when the futurekind are chasing him, Martha and Jack.
james2018 is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 12-04-2013, 13:13
JohnnyForget
Forum Member

Surely the TV Movie where the Seventh Doctor is technically "dead" for several hours before regenerating into the Eighth Doctor.
JohnnyForget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 13:22
starsailor
Forum Member

I would say the Caves of Androzani, where he's close to dying during his regeneration.
starsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 13:27
johnnysaucepn
Forum Member

Depends on your definition of 'dying'. Any regeneration would count, as it only happens when the Doctor is so badly injured that he would otherwise die. Being shot by Daleks, falling from a telescope, fatal dose of radiation, he would have died from all of them.

It also depends on your definition of 'close'. The most damage taken before regenerating? The tightest escape?

For him to be close to dying without regenerating, it would have to be something fast. The episode Turn Left suggests that flushing the Racnoss spiders down the plughole would have done it.

So, when else has the Doctor had a close escape from something that would make instant mincemeat of him? The fan blades in The End of the World?
johnnysaucepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 13:38
james2018
Forum Member

I was just sort of joking, cause the ones i mentioned were typical parts of the program where he is obviously gonna be fine, but some kids might think he's dead meat

The replies are good based on the actual question
james2018 is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 13:49
Irma Bunt
Forum Member

The Third Doctor actually did "die" at the end of Planet of the Spiders until regenerating into No.4, didn't he?
Irma Bunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 13:52
JohnnyForget
Forum Member

The Third Doctor actually did "die" at the end of Planet of the Spiders until regenerating into No.4, didn't he?
That's to all intents and purposes true of all other Doctors except the Eleventh.
Old 12-04-2013, 13:56
Abomination
Forum Member

I'd say that Last of the Time Lords brought the Doctor pretty close to death, with the power to regenerate suspended. I personally liked what they did with that bit in the episode, and it was a bit grim to see... I don't imagine the Doctor would have lasted very long in his Gollum-state
Abomination is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 14:11
Laura_Amanda
Forum Member

Let's kill hitler with the poison from the judas tree.. Till river gave him her regenerations, he was done for..in 32 minutes..
Laura_Amanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 14:27
TimeMyRelative
Forum Member

That's to all intents and purposes true of all other Doctors except the Eleventh.
I think Planet of the Spiders wins this 'contest'. The 3rd Doctor was dead, having barely survived the trip home to UNIT HQ. Sarah and the Brigadier were stunned by the larger-than-life Doctor lying limp and broken on the floor.

The 7th Doctor in the TV movie was pretty dead too but a different kind having suffered an arrest to both his hearts. His body cells were still not all dead, unlike Dr 3, and only the cold of the mortuary slowed down his regeneration process. The 8th Doctor did mention his being very close to not regenerating but still he DID regenerate unlike Dr 3 who needed a timely intervention from K'Ampo.
TimeMyRelative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 14:33
JohnnyForget
Forum Member

unlike Dr 3 who needed a timely intervention from K'Ampo.
Wasn't there a similar intervention for the Fourth Doctor by the Watcher?
Old 12-04-2013, 14:48
Koquillion
Forum Member

...and the Second.
Koquillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 14:56
Indrid Cold
Forum Member

...and the Second.
To be fair, we don't know what happened to the 8th either.
Indrid Cold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 14:57
starsailor
Forum Member

Wasn't there a similar intervention for the Fourth Doctor by the Watcher?
Hmmm not really.. hence his "It's the end-- but the moment has been prepared for..."

The fourth doctor seemed pretty content during his regeneration (although that might have been Tom Baker glad his time was over).
starsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 15:06
JohnnyForget
Forum Member

The fourth doctor seemed pretty content during his regeneration (although that might have been Tom Baker glad his time was over).
Which may answer the question of why the Fourth Doctor regenerated after simply falling from what didn't look like a very high altitude onto soft grass, while the Tenth Doctor fell from what looked like a much greater altitude through a glass ceiling onto a hard floor and only had a few cuts and bruises. It was a case of he former "wanting to go" and the latter most certainly "not wanting to go".
Old 12-04-2013, 17:04
Fizzbin
Forum Member

Which may answer the question of why the Fourth Doctor regenerated after simply falling from what didn't look like a very high altitude onto soft grass, while the Tenth Doctor fell from what looked like a much greater altitude through a glass ceiling onto a hard floor and only had a few cuts and bruises. It was a case of he former "wanting to go" and the latter most certainly "not wanting to go".
It was about 100 feet!

You try jumping, see if you live.
Fizzbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 18:11
JohnnyForget
Forum Member

It was about 100 feet!

You try jumping, see if you live.
I'm not the Doctor! The Tenth Doctor seemed to jump from a significantly higher altitude, and sustained a few cuts and bruises.