Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Films that deviate the most from their book

Old 14-04-2013, 22:20
Takae
Forum Member

Although there was a deviation from Fight Club the book, I'd say the film is faithful enough not to deserve inclusion on this thread. Sure, the end chapter is a lot different to the film's ending, but the rest of it was fairly well captured.
The OP created this thread after discovering the ending of My Sister's Keeper is different from the novel's ending, e.g. the question: "what's the biggest unexpected deviation for you, in a film adaptation?"

The ending of Fight Club is significantly different from the one in the novel, so the inclusion of Fight Club in this thread is well justified, surely? At least for me, it is.
Takae is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 14-04-2013, 22:36
sarahj1986
Forum Member

The beach. Saw the film first years ago, read the book on holiday last year and in parts it's completely different! Even the ending isn't the same, having said that I like them both.

Devil wears prada, again different ending.
sarahj1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2013, 23:08
Fairyprincess0
Forum Member

Disney re-wrote the ending of the little mermaid......
Fairyprincess0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2013, 00:39
Gort
Forum Member

The OP created this thread after discovering the ending of My Sister's Keeper is different from the novel's ending, e.g. the question: "what's the biggest unexpected deviation for you, in a film adaptation?"
When you put it like that, then I have to concede. My misunderstanding.

The ending of Fight Club is significantly different from the one in the novel, so the inclusion of Fight Club in this thread is well justified, surely? At least for me, it is.
Sure, but I do feel that the film is fairly faithful to the book in general, at least in spirit even if not on the whole. But, yeah, the end chapter of the book compared to the end of the film is quite different.
Gort is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2013, 02:19
Jimmy_McNulty
Forum Member

Hearts in Atlantis.

As a massive fan of the book, i found the film to be a total abomination.
Jimmy_McNulty is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2013, 10:37
pearlsandplums
Forum Member

Surprised no one has mentioned the lawnmower man yet. The sort story is about a man eating grass and the film is about virtual reality
pearlsandplums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2013, 10:49
Edmond-Dantès
Forum Member

The Count of Monte Cristo (2002).

Numerous changes and omissions during the narrative and an ending that defeats the very purpose of Alexandre Dumas' greatest work.
Edmond-Dantès is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2013, 15:09
wildhollie
Forum Member

I think Jaws counts....Hooper dies in the book at the end, yet survives in the film (also in the book he has an affair with Brody's wife ! )
wildhollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2013, 17:12
emma172
Forum Member

'Blade Runner' strays quite far from 'Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?'.

'The Birds' is also very, very different from Daphne Du Maurier's short story.
I totally agree. My book club is doing Androids at the minute so I decided to check out Blade Runner. I found Deckard to be a lot more 2 dimensional in the movie and didn't really enjoy it anywhere near as much.

Also I haven't seen it in years but I remember thinking that the Golden Compass film butchered Northern Lights but I don't remember any details.
emma172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2013, 17:50
Eddie Badger
Forum Member

I totally agree. My book club is doing Androids at the minute so I decided to check out Blade Runner. I found Deckard to be a lot more 2 dimensional in the movie and didn't really enjoy it anywhere near as much.

Also I haven't seen it in years but I remember thinking that the Golden Compass film butchered Northern Lights but I don't remember any details.
The title "Blade Runner" actually comes from a totally different book (written by Allan E Nourse) which has nothing to do with the movie plot. The movie makers just liked the sound of it.
Eddie Badger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2013, 18:13
woot_whoo
Inactive Member

Surprised no one has mentioned the lawnmower man yet. The sort story is about a man eating grass and the film is about virtual reality
Very few of the Stephen King movie adaptations stick to the source material. In fact, the best known (and best) movies are only based loosely on his books ('The Shining', 'Carrie'). His novels don't really lend themselves to movies without being cheesy - for example, his own miniseries version of The Shining stuck closer to the book than Kubrick's film, and was far inferior as a result.
woot_whoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2013, 18:17
Virgil Tracy
Forum Member

what's so different about the ending ?
Virgil Tracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2013, 19:06
ShaunIOW
Forum Member

Both original Conan films are made from collections of short stories.

Harry Potters 3-6 al have major changes to the books.
ShaunIOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2013, 19:31
Takae
Forum Member

When you put it like that, then I have to concede. My misunderstanding.

Sure, but I do feel that the film is fairly faithful to the book in general, at least in spirit even if not on the whole. But, yeah, the end chapter of the book compared to the end of the film is quite different.
No worries. Thanks. Oh, I agree that the film has captured the spirit of the novel pretty well. I actually prefer the film's ending to the novel's ending.

I however wasn't that impressed with the film version of Marla. I felt the film did her a disservice by reducing her to pretty much a prop, love interest, object or wallpaper to the Narrator and Tyler. That's, for me, the film's biggest let-down. I still think Helen Bonham-Carter was miscast as well.

what's so different about the ending ?
Don't read if you have plans to read the novel some day. Will be worth your time reading the novel, but if you don't think so, then here goes:

Spoiler
Old 15-04-2013, 20:08
embryo
Forum Member

Yeah I thought exactly the same thing about the film. It looks great, but I found it to be style over substance - none of the characters are fleshed out like they are in the novel and the plot is reduced almost to nothing. I do wonder if I would've enjoyed the film more if I hadn't read the novel first though, since the film now has a reputation as a sci-fi classic...
embryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2013, 14:38
emma172
Forum Member

Yeah I thought exactly the same thing about the film. It looks great, but I found it to be style over substance - none of the characters are fleshed out like they are in the novel and the plot is reduced almost to nothing. I do wonder if I would've enjoyed the film more if I hadn't read the novel first though, since the film now has a reputation as a sci-fi classic...
I agree. As soon as the movie started I was nagging my brother with questions like, " but where's his wife? Where's his electric sheep? And why are they calling them Blade Runners?" I must have been so annoying

Thanks to the other poster who explained where the title came from!
emma172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2013, 15:07
Verence
Forum Member

Definitely I Am Legend
I Am Legend was the third film based on the Richard Matheson book of the same name, Chuck Heston's The Omega was closer to the book, but the closest of the three was Vincent Price's The Last Man On Earth

Although there was a deviation from Fight Club the book, I'd say the film is faithful enough not to deserve inclusion on this thread. Sure, the end chapter is a lot different to the film's ending, but the rest of it was fairly well captured.

I'll add Planet of the Apes to the list. The film's story is quite different from the book's, but it still captures the essence of the original's story.
The ending of the Tim Burton remake was closer to the ending of the original book
Verence is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2013, 15:26
Si_Crewe
Forum Member

Do comics count?

The movie "Watchmen" missed out a HUGE plot about a giant "alien" squid which actually provided the whole "moral" for the movie and, without it, the way the movie resolved was rather hollow.

Shame really because they did a fairly decent job of making the comic into a film otherwise.
Si_Crewe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2013, 15:58
woot_whoo
Inactive Member

Do comics count?

The movie "Watchmen" missed out a HUGE plot about a giant "alien" squid which actually provided the whole "moral" for the movie and, without it, the way the movie resolved was rather hollow.

Shame really because they did a fairly decent job of making the comic into a film otherwise.
I we count comics, I'll throw in video game adaptations as well. The Resident Evil games completely deviated from the plot (and spirit) of the games I recall playing as a youth. The games were survival horror, about suspense and old-fashioned, B-movie scares. The movies were out and out action thrillers. To tie back to the topic, though, a series of cheesy but fun books were released which were basically novelisations of the games with the holes filled in and the plotlines tied together fairly cleverly. The movie makers should have followed these books and would have made pictures which satisfied the game players. Alas, they thought they knew better...
woot_whoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2013, 23:10
Verence
Forum Member

Counting comics then the Stallone version of Judge Dredd deviated quite a lot from the original comics
Verence is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2013, 23:41
Tarot
Forum Member

Yes, they totally changed the end. I think they must have realised that there wasn't going to be any sequels early on and decided to round off the story with a fairly happy ending.
Tarot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2013, 23:52
bazzaroo
Forum Member

Another Stephen King example is Needful Things, the film totally omits Ace Merrill, one of the books main characters!
bazzaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2013, 11:24
darthbibble
Forum Member

Another Bond suggestion - only the title of Moonraker made the film.
and the plot of Mookraker was adapted for Die Another Day
darthbibble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2013, 12:03
Angelica123
Forum Member

Disney re-wrote the ending of the little mermaid......
This... I couldn't believe it when I actually read The Little Mermaid and found the tone completely different.

The same is true of the Hunchback of Notre Dame.
Angelica123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2013, 15:40
Takae
Forum Member

I we count comics, I'll throw in video game adaptations as well.
In that case, I nominate Alone in the Dark.

Putting the fact it's truly the worst game-to-film adaptation aside, Edward in the game usually works alone, so why did Edward in the film work in a SAS-style team? Actually, I'm not going to even bother listing other differences. The only things the game and the film have in common are the title and character names.

I curse you, Uwe Boll whom I hadn't heard of until I watched this film, for eviscerating Alone in the Dark like that. Also, to the person who actually regarded the film as "one of best film adaptations", please avoid watching films for life.