Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Asus Fonepad...comments ?

Old 17-04-2013, 22:30
advid
Forum Member

...any comments and opinions on the soon to be released Asus Fonepad...a 7 inch 'phablet'...
Looks good value for money...a phone and tablet in one...
advid is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 18-04-2013, 00:38
TheBigM
Forum Member

PC Pro A-listed it.
TheBigM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2013, 08:24
alanwarwic
Forum Member

The Atom used is classed as 'basic'. The GPU is too, by todays standards.

They also make the (calculated?) mistake of announcing smartphone runtime comparisons !
Its obviously a tablet that can also be used as a phone, not the other way round.
Elsewhere, early tests of that CPU was described as very pedestrian, even for web browsing.
alanwarwic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2013, 01:56
2FS
Forum Member

I'm thinking about pre ordering one, but the CPU has me a bit worried, it appears to be single core, although some sites list it as dual core.
2FS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2013, 01:48
Ultraman1966
Forum Member

I'm thinking about pre ordering one, but the CPU has me a bit worried, it appears to be single core, although some sites list it as dual core.
It's a single x86 based Intel CPU as opposed an ARM. I wouldn't put it in the same league as budget android single cores but obviously it can't compete with the latest quad core ARM CPUs.
Ultraman1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2013, 12:04
Flipper411
Forum Member

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/lapto...2/asus-fonepad

Looking good according to Trusted Reviews 5 Stars.
Flipper411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2013, 12:50
alanwarwic
Forum Member

Its hard to trust the benchmarks but they are claiming the GPU is only half as fast as the Nexus 7 one.

Expert reviews are invariably not to be fully trusted thus the claim of a dual core CPU.
It is a very adequate offering though, especially compared to the ludicrously under specced, overpriced 3G iPad Mini that cannot even make mobile calls.

And I'd also rather have this Asus than its main rival, the soon to be superseded 3G Tab 2 7.
Old 26-04-2013, 14:40
Flipper411
Forum Member

Its hard to trust the benchmarks but they are claiming the GPU is only half as fast as the Nexus 7 one.

Expert reviews are invariably not to be fully trusted thus the claim of a dual core CPU.
It is a very adequate offering though, especially compared to the ludicrously under specced, overpriced 3G iPad Mini that cannot even make mobile calls.

And I'd also rather have this Asus than its main rival, the soon to be superseded 3G Tab 2 7.
Yep agree with your sentiments Alan. But I would say for 179 price you cant really go to far wrong, particularly with Asus's great pedigree on Tablets.
Flipper411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2013, 15:12
advid
Forum Member

..decided to pre-order from Amazon and it's just arrived (well done Amazon for quick delivery)
First impressions...absolutely great...
Although I've not set up the phone yet as I'm still waiting for a micro-sim.
Works pretty well speed-wise..a little bit of lag when on some sites using Wi-Fi when compared to my dual core Toshiba AT300SE tablet but hardly noticeable most times..
Sound - also very good for its size --not too tinny when playing music...volume goes up to reasonable levels.
The front facing camera for Skype ect is also excellent..good exposure/white balance...
WHY oh WHY did the UK version not come with a rear camera I do not know..that for me would have really been a top score for this little gadget.
Can't really fault it so far - especially for the money...seems well made \ good quality all round.
Will update the phone calling when sim arrives..
Old 27-04-2013, 20:02
advid
Forum Member

...received the micro sim and all works very well..calls - very clear - volume levels aok....both ear and speakerphone..
..EXCEPT..SKYPE...works OK, good picture but sound levels very low...
Old 27-04-2013, 20:04
grps3
Forum Member

i only clicked this cos i read thread title as ' anus fonepad'' and was intrigued as to what it could be
grps3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2013, 20:07
advid
Forum Member

i only clicked this cos i read thread title as ' anus fonepad'' and was intrigued as to what it could be
..well..you know where to stick it then
Old 29-04-2013, 17:40
alanwarwic
Forum Member

Well, the Tab 3 announcement today, on the face of it seems one heck of a damp squid.

But being Samsung it the one that gets the press mentions.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolog...axy-Tab-3.html

No mention of chipset and just maybe the PhoneTab version will be 200.
Old 06-05-2013, 23:24
2FS
Forum Member

Took the plunge and bought a Fonepad. Enjoying it so far, the battery seems strong (compared to my Motorola Xoom) and I haven't experienced any lag yet, despite it being single core. It also has a stronger signal than my S2, which is handy.

Only grumble is the clock, it refuses to keep time correctly! Hopefully the next update will sort it out.
2FS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 00:34
JayPee86
Inactive Member

I always use my nexus 7 tablet as a phone ..
JayPee86 is offline   Reply With Quote