DS Forums

Lana Del Rey/Barrie-James O'Neill - Summer Wine

Old 18-04-2013, 23:10
rbautz
Forum Member

Lana's new duet, the old Hazlewood classic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OEro...BbVPSg&index=1
rbautz is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 19-04-2013, 09:24
mr muggles
Forum Member

I like some of Lana's work, but, unfortunately, this is a pointless exercise in vanity.

Its a note-for-note wannabee of the far superior original by Lee Hazelwood featuring Nancy Sinatra, it adds nothing to the original, or tries to offer anything different - boring and unnecessary Lana!

For those of you into Lana, check this out and discover where she gets alot of her inspiration from, particularly her sound...! Nancy & Lees work together and solo is worth discovering.

http://youtu.be/YiISrw2GTXE
mr muggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2013, 09:34
konebyvax
Forum Member

It's a faithful rendition for sure but I'm going to say something that may prove controversial - I think both Barrie-James and Lana sound better on this than Nancy and Lee sound on the original. Plus I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing that Lana occasionally covers an old classic as I'm sure she's helping bring those old artists a new, younger audience.
konebyvax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2013, 10:01
Hit Em Up Style
Forum Member

It's a faithful rendition for sure but I'm going to say something that may prove controversial - I think both Barrie-James and Lana sound better on this than Nancy and Lee sound on the original. Plus I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing that Lana occasionally covers an old classic as I'm sure she's helping bring those old artists a new, younger audience.
I agree with that. The only reason I bought Nancy's greatest hits was because of Lana.
Hit Em Up Style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2013, 12:40
Mallaha
Forum Member

It isn't the most groundbreaking cover, but it's very listenable and very suited to both of their singing styles. It's one of Lana's most convincing vocal performances.
Mallaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2013, 17:34
little-monster
Forum Member

Ooh I like this. It has a country vibe. Love her boyfriends voice as well

Love how Lana is always treating fans to music, whether it's an old song recorded years ago or a cover.
little-monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2013, 17:40
mushymanrob
Forum Member

I like some of Lana's work, but, unfortunately, this is a pointless exercise in vanity.

Its a note-for-note wannabee of the far superior original by Lee Hazelwood featuring Nancy Sinatra, it adds nothing to the original, or tries to offer anything different - boring and unnecessary Lana!

For those of you into Lana, check this out and discover where she gets alot of her inspiration from, particularly her sound...! Nancy & Lees work together and solo is worth discovering.

http://youtu.be/YiISrw2GTXE
fully agree... prefer 'some velvet morning' though...
mushymanrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2013, 19:48
Makson
Forum Member

Ooh I like this. It has a country vibe. Love her boyfriends voice as well

Love how Lana is always treating fans to music, whether it's an old song recorded years ago or a cover.
She certainly knows how to treat her fans...other artists should take note
Makson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2013, 20:06
konebyvax
Forum Member

She certainly knows how to treat her fans...other artists should take note

Not only in releasing loads of amazing new stuff but also in how she interacts with her fans - she is a total one-off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfDjO_lZG8s
konebyvax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2013, 03:35
DRAGON LANCE
Forum Member

Oh c'mon, its just her and Barry having fun. I don't see this as any kind of vanity project at all; its probably been shot & recorded on zero budget and is really just yet another treat for fans to enjoy. Thank-you Lana, its wonderful and you and Barry make a very cute couple! Like Koney says it will bring Nancy and Lee to a new generation, so its all good.

Definitely agree with those comments about knowing how to treat her fans. Whatever anybody thinks of Lana she's just something else when it comes to that. I don't think there's ever been anybody better in the whole history of music in that regard. As as a fan you get hooked on this stuff and just keep wanting to see what she does next.

I think she's just a absolute genius in how she used the web to do this. She really is one of the most self made people in music today and other artists could indeed learn a lot from her approach.
DRAGON LANCE is offline   Reply With Quote