Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

iTunes and Network Drive

Old 19-04-2013, 20:02
simps100
Forum Member

Hi all

Just got my self a new NAS and have a couple of questions.

I have a iMac and MacBook Pro, id like them to both share exactly the same itunes library so firstly is this possible and secondly can i do it with my NAS?

Ive copied the entire itunes library folder to the NAS, but i cant work out how to point the library its self on both machines to the NAS drive (it seems changing it in advance is only changing the media folder, not the library its self)

Thanks

Marc
simps100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 19-04-2013, 20:07
chenks
Forum Member

option-click on the itunes icon and it will ask you to open a different library.
you'll need to mount the nas drive first though
chenks is online now Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2013, 20:16
simps100
Forum Member

Cool perfect just what i was after, thanks for that

Anyone any experience in using iTunes in this way with good / bad results?
Old 19-04-2013, 20:33
chenks
Forum Member

Cool perfect just what i was after, thanks for that

Anyone any experience in using iTunes in this way with good / bad results?
it won't be as smooth as it would be running locally, as you're not running it via a network storage device. also bear in mind that if you have no network access you'll have no itunes library access.
chenks is online now Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2013, 21:10
SnrDev
Forum Member

If you fire up iTunes and the NAS isn't connected or switched on, iTunes assumes no library so creates one in the default location, forcing you to change it in the settings. On my PC (not Mac) it then scans the whole library again, which takes an age.
SnrDev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2013, 21:59
s2k
Forum Member

The shift/option on load method will work but only in a limited fashion. iTunes locks the itl file whilst the application is running meaning it would not be possible to have more than 1 person using it at the same time. You also need to ensure that if you update any of your iTunes installations that you do it on all of them prior to trying to trying to access the library or you will get error messages about the library being too new.

If your NAS offers a specific facility for hosting iTunes content it would be better to enable that.
s2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2013, 00:58
whoever,hey
Forum Member

Can your NAS run an itunes server? My DS212 can.
whoever,hey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2013, 02:57
simps100
Forum Member

I'm not 100% sure, I have a netgear readynas duo v2 I've found bits and bobs but quite new to this so not sure where to start!
Old 21-04-2013, 11:00
davethorp
Forum Member

iTunes Match may be a better way of achieving what you are trying to achieve although this costs about 23 a year but will make your whole library that is matched/uploaded available on any device
davethorp is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2013, 21:04
s2k
Forum Member

I'm not 100% sure, I have a netgear readynas duo v2 I've found bits and bobs but quite new to this so not sure where to start!
My dad has the original ReadyNAS Duo and it does definitely have an iTunes server, as well as DLNA and Bittorrent client... but since he uses it for his office I never had the need to set up any of that. I know Netgear removed a load of stuff from the V2 but I'd be very surprised if they took out iTunes support.
s2k is offline   Reply With Quote