Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Why is it plasma TVs seemed to be the most popular?

Old 23-04-2013, 20:43
Richard_Harmer
Inactive Member

Whenever I have heard about people getting a TV to fit in with the lounge or their bedroom, they always seem to mention getting a plasma TV. Why, I have even seen a YouTube video clip where Annie Lennox says that when it comes to celebrating New Year's Eve that she would like to curl up in bed watching TV shows on a plasma TV and drinking malt whisky!
Richard_Harmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 23-04-2013, 22:08
bobcar
Forum Member

They aren't LCDs are far more popular. A lot of it is lazy journalism such as during the riots they were commenting on "people walking out of the shops with plasma TVs" - well they weren't they were carrying LCDs which is a lot more practical.

They both have there disadvantages and advantages but there is no doubt that LCDs are far bigger sellers (I have a plasma).

Large plasmas were around before large LCDs so maybe that is why they are mentioned more as a luxury item.
bobcar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2013, 22:25
mac2708
Forum Member

They aren't LCDs are far more popular. A lot of it is lazy journalism such as during the riots they were commenting on "people walking out of the shops with plasma TVs" - well they weren't they were carrying LCDs which is a lot more practical.
I agree about the lazy journalism but the general term, in all types of media.and common use, for a large flat panel TV seems to be 'plasma'.
It's a bit like 'hoover' is used as a general term for a vacuum cleaner.
mac2708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2013, 09:09
Nigel Goodwin
Forum Member

I agree about the lazy journalism but the general term, in all types of media.and common use, for a large flat panel TV seems to be 'plasma'.
It's a bit like 'hoover' is used as a general term for a vacuum cleaner.
As bobcar said, large Plasma were out before LCD, and it's a far more 'attention grabbing' word than LCD.

As for "walking out with Plasma TV's" a robbery we had a number of years back showed a guy running out with a Plasma TV under each arm!! (multiple times) - obviously not a guy to argue with
Nigel Goodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2013, 10:49
fastest finger
Forum Member

As bobcar said, large Plasma were out before LCD, and it's a far more 'attention grabbing' word than LCD.

As for "walking out with Plasma TV's" a robbery we had a number of years back showed a guy running out with a Plasma TV under each arm!! (multiple times) - obviously not a guy to argue with

I remember my first Plasma. No chance of running anywhere with that under my arm. It was a 2 man job just to lift the bloody thing.
fastest finger is online now Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2013, 11:50
Nigel Goodwin
Forum Member

I remember my first Plasma. No chance of running anywhere with that under my arm. It was a 2 man job just to lift the bloody thing.
That's my point - he ran out with one under each arm - we were all amazed by the security recordings
Old 28-04-2013, 23:21
noise747
Forum Member

My 42inch plasma is heavy, 40Kg heavy. I would not like to pick it up by myself.

But as for popular, most people I know that have a flat panel have LCD sets, the od couple got LED, which is still LCD anyway.

There is three people I know of that got Plasma and that includes myself. i prefer plasma and i hoping they are still around when the time comes to replace mine.
noise747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2013, 08:53
Nigel Goodwin
Forum Member

My 42inch plasma is heavy, 40Kg heavy. I would not like to pick it up by myself.
Yep - one under each arm was VERY impressive

The get away car was a Subaru Impreza (stolen in Birmingham).
Old 30-04-2013, 00:11
Iqbal_M
Forum Member

I agree with the above posts. However, I would like to add that in the future, if you want the best picture quality from your TV and you are not worried about cost, you will be looking at OLED TV's and not Plasma TV's.
Iqbal_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2013, 08:24
noise747
Forum Member

I agree with the above posts. However, I would like to add that in the future, if you want the best picture quality from your TV and you are not worried about cost, you will be looking at OLED TV's and not Plasma TV's.
That is when the prices come down and they can get a decent life out of them.

i think it will be a few more years yet and by that time something better will be along.
noise747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2013, 08:38
Nigel Goodwin
Forum Member

i think it will be a few more years yet and by that time something better will be along.
Such as what?