Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

How big is the Tardis?

Old 23-04-2013, 23:28
jimthepig
Forum Member

How big is the inside of the Tardis, is it as big as a space station? or does it just have a few rooms?
jimthepig is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 23-04-2013, 23:30
Banks246
Forum Member

How big is the inside of the Tardis, is it as big as a space station? or does it just have a few rooms?
It seems to be able to be as big as they want it to be....
Banks246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2013, 23:32
Mike_Dalby
Forum Member

Think I've heard different answers throughout the TV show and Big Finish. As big as a planet? Infinitely large?
Mike_Dalby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2013, 23:39
Tom Tit
Forum Member

It's at least bigger than the planet of Calufrax, because the Doctor mentions going to "pick it up" in the TARDIS at the end of 'the Pirate Planet' - a line that has always blown me away and yet never seems to have been picked up on much by fandom at large: they're going to materialize the TARDIS around an entire planet! I can't think of many cooler things than that that he's done in the show.
Tom Tit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2013, 23:42
edEx
Forum Member

To paraphrase Douglas Adams - You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is.
edEx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2013, 23:48
Mrfipp
Forum Member

The thing that's always amazed is that the TARDIS is massive on the inside. So big that I doubt even the Doctor knows exactly how big.

And it's a Type-40. A model which was long-retired when the Doctor was a boy.

Just think how much larger later, more advance models would have been.

Who would need that much space?

I don't think the Time Lords really needs all of that. I think they just did it to show how much better there were than the rest of the universe, and have something to be stuck up about.
Mrfipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2013, 23:52
Mike_Dalby
Forum Member

The thing that's always amazed is that the TARDIS is massive on the inside. So big that I doubt even the Doctor knows exactly how big.

I don't think the Time Lords really needs all of that. I think they just did it to show how much better there were than the rest of the universe, and have something to be stuck up about.
I like it! And the TARDIS is like a space/time four by four... With the rest of the universe tutting "no need for a ship that big"
Mike_Dalby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2013, 23:53
Helbore
Forum Member

I think its size is configurable. Look at some of the dialogue from "The Doctor's Wife." He makes references to both jettisoning rooms (as the move between universes) and creating new ones (when telling the Ponds he had to make them a new bedroom).

Considering the TARDIS is capable of changing both its outward and inside appearance entirely, I don't think its too hard to imagine that it simply has the ability to manipulate the volume of its internal space. I would say that it is "effectively" infinite - in that it does have limits, but you can simply increase the boundaries of those limits as much as is necessary.
Helbore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2013, 23:55
Karis
Forum Member

There's a lot of hyperbole used when the Doctor describes the size of the TARDIS.
Karis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2013, 02:07
WonderWorld
Forum Member

Originally the TARDIS was a Type 1 later upgraded to a Type 40. Of course the Doctor has made changes along the way, but still calls it a Type 40. So yes she is old.
WonderWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2013, 02:10
Pyramidbread
Forum Member

From the looks of this SPOILER pic
http://i1.cdnds.net/13/17/618x347/uk...-s07-e05-2.jpg
Pretty big.
Pyramidbread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2013, 02:10
Shoppy
Forum Member

It's reyt big!
Shoppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2013, 02:15
Philip_Lamb
Forum Member

Infinitely. Remember the interior in a separate dimension from the ouyside
Philip_Lamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2013, 02:50
Mrfipp
Forum Member

According to the expanding universe, there is also a large grassy green hill filled with butterflies, a junkyard filled with scarp metal, and a mile of beach complete with seagulls. Each one looking like it could have been taken from outside.

And I think the the BFA version of Shada, they said a common problem with the Type-40 was that the kitchen was usually at least a mile from primary console room.

It had a good refrigerator though. According to K9 the milk was still fresh after over one-hundred years.
Old 24-04-2013, 06:56
Sue_Aitch
Forum Member

According to the expanding universe, there is also a large grassy green hill filled with butterflies, a junkyard filled with scarp metal, and a mile of beach complete with seagulls. Each one looking like it could have been taken from outside.

And I think the the BFA version of Shada, they said a common problem with the Type-40 was that the kitchen was usually at least a mile from primary console room.

It had a good refrigerator though. According to K9 the milk was still fresh after over one-hundred years.
Retconned possibly by the joke between Nine and Rose at the beginning of The Empty Child.
Sue_Aitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2013, 08:30
Martin
Forum Member

Infinitely. Remember the interior in a separate dimension from the ouyside
Yet in some stories strangely light enough to be picked up onto the back of a lorry.
Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2013, 09:19
johnnysaucepn
Forum Member

Yet in some stories strangely light enough to be picked up onto the back of a lorry.
Yes, the outside is relatively (geddit?) light. The part that exists in our dimension.
johnnysaucepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2013, 10:09
dalekaddison
Forum Member

I know in Scream of the Shalka there was a Zeppelin hanger. But that's not canon. It made me laugh at the time.

Also, there is the Doctors drawing room from the Adventure Games. Although that really doesn't make it seem that bigger.

And all those hospital wards...I mean, corridors.
dalekaddison is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2013, 10:27
smudges dad
Forum Member

It's an impossible question because of the phrase "relative dimension in space". Size can only be considered in a 3D space, so it's like asking someone in a 2D world how big a 3D world would be.
smudges dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2013, 14:32
Mrfipp
Forum Member

Retconned possibly by the joke between Nine and Rose at the beginning of The Empty Child.
Obviously they lost that kitchen and had to get a new one. It wasn't as good as the last one.
Old 24-04-2013, 20:40
Face Of Jack
Forum Member

I have always been obsessed by the Tardis from a very early age. 1965 to be precise! To me then, it was just a police box with a big control room inside of it. Then Pat Troughton had a seperate 'Power Room' (The Mind Robber). Nothing else until Tom Baker's introduction to the Cloister Room, Romana's Bedroom (?!) and the silly victorian-style brickwork corridors and swimming pool in 'The Invasion of Time'.
Peter Davison's era brought in other companion's quarters plus the Zero Room - till it was 'jettisoned' !
Nothing more after that to my knowledge.
I'd loved to have seen some kitchen or bathroom to make it seem more like home! (William Hartnell's food machine doesn't count).
But I assume it's endless anyway......so why did Tegan and Nyssa have to share a bedroom??
Face Of Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2013, 21:21
CELT1987
Forum Member

Nyssa and Tegan sharing a bedroom...mmmm
CELT1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2013, 21:23
Corwin
Forum Member

Nyssa and Tegan sharing a bedroom...mmmm
Well they wouldn't need much wardrobe space as they basically only had one outfit each
Corwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2013, 21:27
CELT1987
Forum Member

Well they wouldn't need much wardrobe space as they basically only had one outfit each
True!
CELT1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2013, 22:03
Gary of Beeston
Forum Member

It's at least bigger than the planet of Calufrax, because the Doctor mentions going to "pick it up" in the TARDIS at the end of 'the Pirate Planet' - a line that has always blown me away and yet never seems to have been picked up on much by fandom at large: they're going to materialize the TARDIS around an entire planet! I can't think of many cooler things than that that he's done in the show.
Well, no, because the pirate planet was the one that materialised around Callufrax, extracted all the goodies out of it and the husk was what became the second segment. In a display case, if I remember correctly.

Gary
Gary of Beeston is offline   Reply With Quote