Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Can rabbits catch hantavirus?

Old 24-04-2013, 19:56
chrisii2011
Forum Member

I have two rabbits outside and there's a mouse close by that likes to try pinch their through the bars of their hutch. Can they catch hantavirus and get ill from this mouse?
chrisii2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 24-04-2013, 23:42
xdow
Forum Member

rabbits aren;t known to carry hantaviruses, but the mouse could be carrying other infections/parasites hazardous to your rabbits, most notably, mites, lice or fleas.

i wouldn't worry too much unless it's a new thing for this mouse to be around your rabbits, though.
i've found mouse droppings in one of my rabbits hutches before how and she's suffered no ill health as a result.

i've also had to re-secure my hay storage shed a few times due to finding mice in it, i don;t mind them all that much though, as having mice around shows that there are few rats in the area, which are a bigger worry in my book as they can and will attack domestic pets.
xdow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2013, 11:32
chrisii2011
Forum Member

Thank you,just was worried as i know it can kill humans
chrisii2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2013, 13:50
Normandie
Forum Member

I wouldn't be worried about the occasional mouse - and let's face it, they would encounter plenty in the wild - but do make sure the rabbits are vaccinated at least annually against myxi and annually against VHD - both of which are far more likely to be a problem for an outdoor rabbit.
Normandie is offline   Reply With Quote