Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Couple of Cineworld questions

Old 30-03-2013, 22:49
PaulBowker
Forum Member

Anybody seen it yet? I tried to read the book which was apaling to say the least but imagine the film would be a little more interesting? I'm not expecting it to be a masterpiece just a good way to spend an hour or two?
PaulBowker is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 31-03-2013, 16:32
Dandem
Forum Member

I imagine this will flop spectacularly. Twilight fans will stay away because it isn't Twilight, and non-Twilight fans will stay away because it's written by Stephanie Meyer.
Dandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2013, 16:58
little-monster
Forum Member

It looks ok, but i always felt this would work better as a television show though. There is so much to the plot, it could spand about 4/5 seasons
little-monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2013, 17:45
Takae
Forum Member

Which are we talking about? The South Korean film (and its forthcoming sequel, both based on a book) or the forthcoming film adaptation of Stephanie Meyer's book?
Takae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2013, 18:35
MrSuper
Forum Member

Has received spectacularly awful reviews across the board! Whatever happened to Andrew Niccol's career? To be avoided at all costs.
MrSuper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2013, 18:46
Johnny Clay
Forum Member

If the OP means the Meyers opus then the signs aren't good.

Currently scoring a dismal 36 on metacritic and a poor $11m opening weekend in the US, this may have flatlined already.
Johnny Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 15:09
asyousay
Forum Member

I am shocked by how badly this is doing . I thought all the "twilight" crew would watch it for sure .
asyousay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 15:48
Alrightmate
Forum Member

I thought that this thread was going to be about the Korean monster film.
Alrightmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 18:32
PhoenixRises
Forum Member

I watched it on Friday, it wasn't a terrible film. The story was predictable and heavily borrowed from many other sources. The Twilight clichés are there (particularly the love story bit) and the main protagonist is again unlikable (although I am talking about the human rather than the alien)

But unlike twilight the actors were able to act fairly well and change their faces to show a range of emotion and this really helped round out what I feel would have been very flat characters.

Overall not a must see but if you have an unlimited card or sky then I would say give it a watch one day.
PhoenixRises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 18:41
UltraViolet
Forum Member

It's disappointing, especially coming from the director of Gattaca...
UltraViolet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 18:59
Stansfield
Forum Member

Thought there would be more style to this Film.

As it was: too much Romance and Cave {which didn't look realistic}.....not enough Diane Kruger and her Friends.
First 20 mins and last 5....were the highlights for me.

Loved the Cars.
Stansfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 21:16
mysty211
Forum Member

I thought it was amazing. If you've read the book you'll know it stays true to the book mostly . It goes through the book pretty much like I read the book a few years ago couldn't remember it but watching the movie I remembered the book . If you hadn't read the book you would've thought it moved slow. This is a great adaption of the book and way better than Twilight. I preferred The Host book to Twilight. I think this is one of those movies where if you've read the book you'll understand the movie a lot more .
mysty211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 21:35
tinyangel
Forum Member

I thought it was amazing. If you've read the book you'll know it stays true to the book mostly . It goes through the book pretty much like I read the book a few years ago couldn't remember it but watching the movie I remembered the book . If you hadn't read the book you would've thought it moved slow. This is a great adaption of the book and way better than Twilight. I preferred The Host book to Twilight. I think this is one of those movies where if you've read the book you'll understand the movie a lot more .
Thanks for that! This has been the only helpful post on this thread. I have read the book, as has my daughter and we will be going to see it on Friday. I was beginning to worry that it was going to be bad given the comments on here, but you've given me hope.
tinyangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 22:08
mysty211
Forum Member

Thanks for that! This has been the only helpful post on this thread. I have read the book, as has my daughter and we will be going to see it on Friday. I was beginning to worry that it was going to be bad given the comments on here, but you've given me hope.
I usually don't read much but my cousin who is an avid book reader and who usually criticises books she's read thats has been adapted into movies even enjoyed it.
mysty211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 22:56
SpaceToilets
Forum Member

I was expecting the Korean film. This thread disappoints.
SpaceToilets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 18:16
danom8
Forum Member

We went to see this over the weekend. I hated the Twilight films but loved the books so I thought Id give it a chance. I have a Cineworld Unlimited card so had nothing to lose.

The first half hour drags but it does pick up slightly in the second half. You could definitly tell it's from the writer of Twilight though. It has the same love triangle theme but is acted 100x better. Overall it was OK. Painfully boring at parts. I found the cars and helicopter looked cheap. Like they were covered in tin foil. The sets were cheap looking as were the costumes.

Seeker was a terrible actress with no personality and some scenes were so clinical I had no sympathy for any characters. Other than that though the story was quite sweet, especially the end.

I would change one thing though about the ending;

Spoiler
danom8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 19:51
PhoenixRises
Forum Member

Humpf! Only helpful post indeed
Old 02-04-2013, 21:43
tinyangel
Forum Member

Sorry Phoenix, should have said helpful to me. Your review was making comparisons to Twilight, which I've not read or watched. Having a comparison to the book was what I needed. I was worried from seeing the trailers that they'd made it to much action and less love story.
Old 02-04-2013, 21:56
PhoenixRises
Forum Member

Sorry Phoenix, should have said helpful to me. Your review was making comparisons to Twilight, which I've not read or watched. Having a comparison to the book was what I needed. I was worried from seeing the trailers that they'd made it to much action and less love story.
I was only joking, I never read the book personally as I find the author is not my type of author (nice way to put it) so I couldn't make comparisons on the book, So I just commented on the film itself.

Also you don't have to worry about too much action not enough love story as there is barely any action and the love story is there quite a fair bit - although I don't know if it is as good as the books romance but from the film it just seems to me that SM has only one kind of romantic plot line in her bag of tricks and so it is all very familiar and predictable.
Old 05-04-2013, 22:12
tinyangel
Forum Member

Seen it now and was not disappointed! Anyone who loved the book should be impressed with this film,as it stays so true to the book. Really loved it and will definitely be buying the DVD.
Old 07-04-2013, 17:01
sarah0890
Forum Member

Just seen this today and I loved it! I'm glad that it stuck to the path of the book as I thought the book was an amazing book so I'm pleased that the film didn't disappoint me.
sarah0890 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2013, 16:27
TelevisionUser
Forum Member

Just seen this today and I loved it! I'm glad that it stuck to the path of the book as I thought the book was an amazing book so I'm pleased that the film didn't disappoint me.
I enjoyed it too and thought it was a worthy sci-fi film. It's still in many cinemas although it'll probably disappear from the schedules at the end of next week so there's still some time to catch it.
TelevisionUser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2013, 01:30
zz9
Forum Member

Just watched it and really liked it. I hadn't seen any press or reviews and even managed to not notice Meyer's name anywhere so I had no idea it was in any way connected to Twilight until after I'd seen it, so maybe that helped. I probably wouldn't have seen it had I known that!
It wasn't a fast, all action, all explosions, type sci fi film, but a far more personal story, which is a good thing.

At the end
Spoiler
zz9 is offline   Reply With Quote