Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Kef 104/2 amp suggestion request?

Old 26-04-2013, 20:32
Rupstoh
Forum Member

Hi.

I have just purchased a pair of Kef 104/2 reference floor standing speakers. Has anyone got a suggestion for a stereo amp buy which will fire up these babies;

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=3&theater

I am not looking for anything dramatic, just a good amp that can cope with the brighter side of sound.

Comments appreciated.
Rupstoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 26-04-2013, 22:01
chrisjr
Forum Member

Second hand I take it? According to KEF those beasts could be anything between 20 and 30 years old!

http://www.kef.com/html/gb/explore/a..._series_104_2/

Not that that means anything. I was using a pair of Monitor Audio MA5s that I bought in something like 1976/7 until a couple of years ago when they finally gave up!

Anyway the one parameter of the speakers that does stand out is the 4 ohm impedance. A lot of speakers are 8 ohms so that could be important in choosing an amp to drive them. I have a lot of time for Denon. Been using their amps for decades and find them very nice bits of kit. You could do a lot worse than pair the 104s up with this

http://www.richersounds.com/product/...ae/deno-pma520

It does 70W a channel into 4ohms which should be enough to annoy the neighbours

http://www.denon.co.uk/uk/Product/Pa...uctId=PMA520AE
chrisjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2013, 23:03
Menoetius
Forum Member

This Pioneer A400 would be just the job. A fantastic piece of kit. A bit of a legend when it comes to integrated amplifiers.See here for spec. Like the Denon, as recommended by chris, it is 70wpc into 4 ohms.

When you say "just a good amp that can cope with the brighter side of sound", do you mean you want to tame a bright sound or you want a bright sound?

The Pioneer and Denon are both pretty forward and lean towards the bright. Unlike chris, I've never been a fan of Denon integrated amps for just this reason. They're a little shouty screamy and a touch unsubtle for my ears. If you want a more subtle presentation I'd look at something like this Arcam Alpha 7R. It's 50wpc into 4 ohms and less than a hundred quid. If you don't mind shelling out more then look at the Arcam Alpha 9. This has a lot more oomph .. around 100wpc into 4 ohms and sounds superb. Expect to pay north of 200.

As for new amplifiers, I sell Denon, Marantz, Nad (what's left after they got rid of their UK distributor), Arcam, Roksan, Onkyo, Pioneer, Sansui, Teac, Yamaha and Audiolab.
For less than 300 there's the Yamaha AS500.
For 650 you can get the Arcam A19. A top notch amp.
There's also the Marantz PM-KI Pearl Lite at 679.

If you don't want to spend that sort of money then I'd recommend going second hand to do those speakers justice.
Menoetius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2013, 13:26
Rupstoh
Forum Member

When you say "just a good amp that can cope with the brighter side of sound", do you mean you want to tame a bright sound or you want a bright sound?
I meant that I want a bright sound - the 104s can bring down a brick wall but I really want to bring out a bright sound that I know the speakers can deliver.

Just for the record, these are in mint condition internally (might replace the donuts once they start to breathe a bit) and externally, the manual is immaculate, the warranty is stamped and dated 7th July 1991 and I am told that as these are Rosewood, they are Raymond Cooke special edition (not sure of the significance even though he founded the company).

I am leaning towards the Denon (as stated above) as an audiophile at work recommended the PMA 520 as a starter (just in case some work may be needed) but I can't take my eyes off that Arcam either
Old 29-04-2013, 18:55
Rupstoh
Forum Member

I have gone for the Denon, delivery today.

Update soon.