Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Watchdog BBC ONE Wednesday 1st May 2013

Old 27-04-2013, 02:27
FIFA1966
Forum Member

Just to remind that the 32nd series of Watchdog will be on Wednesday.
FIFA1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 27-04-2013, 09:02
crowby1
Forum Member

Ta muchly. 8pm I trust?
crowby1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2013, 10:12
Ramsay Ladders

Please say Chris Hollins has been punted and replaced by someone at least half bearable?
Ramsay Ladders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2013, 11:03
Caxton
Forum Member

The problem with Watchdog it that it is supposed to be a serious consumer programme dressed up to cater as entertainment with silly sketches and over jovial presenters. I suppose they are catering for the many that cannot sit and watch a programme with a serious subject without getting bored.

Many good documentary-type programmes are ruined these days, by showing them as low intelligence entertainment.
Caxton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2013, 11:12
pinkyponk34
Inactive Member

The problem with Watchdog it that it is supposed to be a serious consumer programme dressed up to cater as entertainment with silly sketches and over jovial presenters. I suppose they are catering for the many that cannot sit and watch a programme with a serious subject without getting bored.

Many good documentary-type programmes are ruined these days, by showing them as low intelligence entertainment.
A lot of consumer based TV shows have been light-hearted and wacky all the way back to That's Life and The Braden Beat, probably one can lay the blame entirely on Esther Rancid.
pinkyponk34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2013, 11:54
Doghouse Riley
Forum Member

A lot of consumer based TV shows have been light-hearted and wacky all the way back to That's Life and The Braden Beat, probably one can lay the blame entirely on Esther Rancid.
Yes, she was often able to imply there was crisis over something which was only a bit of a drama.
Doghouse Riley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2013, 12:17
Bushmills
Forum Member

The thing is, there are "serious" consumer stories and there are trivial ones. They'd look ridiculous if they tackled them all as if they were Panorama.

Lynne Faulds Wood used to do that. She did stories about the dangers of pop-tarts, and made it sound as if it was as serious as North Korea's nuclear programme.
Bushmills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2013, 12:26
oulandy
Forum Member

If it's BBC One, they seem to feel they have to make it laddish. Hence the idiocy with blokes on motorbikes.
oulandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2013, 12:54
Bushmills
Forum Member

If it's BBC One, they seem to feel they have to make it laddish. Hence the idiocy with blokes on motorbikes.
Bloke (singular). Try to keep up.
Bushmills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2013, 13:09
oulandy
Forum Member

Possibly it was blokes (plural) on motorbike (singular). I forget exactly.

Let's see whether the motorbike or bikes survive into the new series.
oulandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2013, 13:09
crowby1
Forum Member

I watch it for 2 reasons.

1) Because I am interested in seeing large companies, cowboys etc being caught out or exposed for bad practices.

2) So I can criticise the over zealousness of some of the aforementioned exposÚs.

I agree with pretty much everything I just read on here, but I'll still watch because one way or the other, it makes for interesting viewing. Another one is watching Anne Robinson doing a rotten job of grilling company directors etc by sticking to the script in her hand without deviation.
Old 28-04-2013, 02:13
FIFA1966
Forum Member

Ta muchly. 8pm I trust?

Yes, 8pm.
Old 28-04-2013, 10:16
mikw
Forum Member

The thing is, there are "serious" consumer stories and there are trivial ones. They'd look ridiculous if they tackled them all as if they were Panorama.

Lynne Faulds Wood used to do that. She did stories about the dangers of pop-tarts, and made it sound as if it was as serious as North Korea's nuclear programme.
Agreed, there's a lot of "rost-tinted spectacles" on DS these days.
mikw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2013, 11:24
Doghouse Riley
Forum Member

I watch it for 2 reasons.

1) Because I am interested in seeing large companies, cowboys etc being caught out or exposed for bad practices.

2) So I can criticise the over zealousness of some of the aforementioned exposÚs.

I agree with pretty much everything I just read on here, but I'll still watch because one way or the other, it makes for interesting viewing. Another one is watching Anne Robinson doing a rotten job of grilling company directors etc by sticking to the script in her hand without deviation.
These sort of programmes bring a new slant on "investigative reporting" in that it appears that many of the popular and familiar faces, are rubbish at it.
Old 28-04-2013, 11:53
IzzyS
Forum Member

She did? wow, I used to eat those as a kid I demand to see that report! lol

Bloke (singular). Try to keep up.
Yes, Dan was jailed last year for benefit fraud (see:- http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-dorset-18867305)
IzzyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2013, 14:22
emails
Forum Member

what studio is this now coming from?
emails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2013, 14:28
crowby1
Forum Member

I think it was Mary Whitehouse Experience did a sketch parodying her on Watchdog. The catchphrase being "This [insert product] could be a potential death trap." The products got more trivial and unlikely as the sketch went on.

If was before I started watching Watchdog but it was a funny sketch.
Old 28-04-2013, 14:44
Doghouse Riley
Forum Member

Pop Tart?

Wasn't he Doughboy's father?
Old 29-04-2013, 02:38
FIFA1966
Forum Member

what studio is this now coming from?

Salford or Cardiff.
Old 29-04-2013, 07:00
P-Combo
Forum Member

Yea I did see this on my EPG,

I always do a full weeks search for programs I think I will like on a Sunday
P-Combo is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2013, 18:21
Jennifer_Gevaux
Forum Member

Salford or Cardiff.
but your not sure which?
Jennifer_Gevaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2013, 02:50
FIFA1966
Forum Member

but your not sure which?

No, but I'll be watching just see what Anne says.
Old 30-04-2013, 21:21
purple bunny
Forum Member

good its not clashing this time...GET SOME TEETH ANNE
purple bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 20:09
IzzyS
Forum Member

Hmm, this piece about mobile contracts is off-putting. Didn't he just say staff now have to say prices could go up and down - down? whats the chance the phone companies are going to lower contract prices?.
IzzyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 20:11
koantemplation
Forum Member

So if Matt can ride a bike, why did he need a driver?

Waste of Licence payers money.
koantemplation is offline   Reply With Quote