Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Who was Alan Partridge based on?

Old 27-04-2013, 11:46
I23
Forum Member

I heard somewhere that Coogan based the character on Fred Dinnage from Southern Regional News show later to become TVS.

I was once intervied by Meridian and asked the lady reporter if she knew if Fred was the inspiration, she did not answer but gave a wry smile.

In a similar vein who were Smashy and Nicey based on?

There seems to be alot of R1 DJs in the mix Kid Jensen, DLT and possibly Freeman (strangely no hint of Saville though)
I23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 27-04-2013, 12:05
Cryolemon
Forum Member

One of Smashy and Nicey was definitely based on Freeman IIRC.
Cryolemon is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2013, 12:07
Warwick_Hunt
Forum Member

Whenever I see Alistair Stewart presenting 'Police, Camera, Action' I can't help thinking of Partridge!

'Crash! Bang! Wallop! What a video!'

Alistair in Partridge mode!
Warwick_Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2013, 12:08
Old Bloke
Forum Member

One of Smashy and Nicey was definitely based on Freeman IIRC.

I' ve always thought that Smashie and Nicey were Alan Freeman and Tony Blackburn.
Old Bloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2013, 12:20
Erythroleukos
Forum Member

I think Dave Lee Travis as well for Mike Smash, especially the bits where he kept mentioning his farm.
Erythroleukos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2013, 12:30
gilliedew
Forum Member

Alan Partridge is based on a Radio Norfolk DJ called Wally Webb

If you Google both their names an article with them both photographed is there, sorry but cant do the link at the moment.
gilliedew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2013, 12:41
Vodka_Drinka
Forum Member

I always thought he was based on Richard Madeley with a but maybe that's too obvious?
Vodka_Drinka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2013, 14:38
Verence
Forum Member

I heard somewhere that Coogan based the character on Fred Dinnage from Southern Regional News show later to become TVS.

I was once intervied by Meridian and asked the lady reporter if she knew if Fred was the inspiration, she did not answer but gave a wry smile.

In a similar vein who were Smashy and Nicey based on?

There seems to be alot of R1 DJs in the mix Kid Jensen, DLT and possibly Freeman (strangely no hint of Saville though)
According to Wikipedia

Mike Smash

Mike Smash was loosely based on Tony Blackburn, although he resembles Noel Edmonds and Mike Read in appearance, his vocalisation had similarities to Mike Read and pop star Cliff Richard. His DJ persona is shown as more lightweight and chirpy than Nice, although he is revealed as a troubled individual in private. The television special introduced elements of Noel Edmonds and Jimmy Savile into Smashie's character, with the Nice character played out similar stories to those from the lives of Mike Read, Bill Grundy and Kenny Everett. In the 1994 TV special, reflecting real events at Radio One, The DJs were sacked from Fab FM, in a manner that deliberately mirrored Simon Bates' and Dave Lee Travis' departure from Radio 1, being replaced with young, 'irreverent' DJs. They were banished to "Radio Quiet" and left to reminisce about the good old days and try to pretend to themselves that they were still a powerful cultural force. One notable catchphrase used by Smash was "lodda work for cheriddy [charity]".

Dave Nice

Quasi-Australian-accented ageing rocker Dave (short for, it was eventually revealed, Davenport rather than David) Nice was a mixture of the then Radio 1 Rock Show presenter Alan Freeman (whose radio persona deliberately bordered on self-parody) and Simon Bates, with elements of Dave Lee Travis and Tommy Vance. Nice was portrayed as more aggressive and angry than Smash, liking heavy rock and being very opinionated. In the 1994 TV special Smashie and Nicey: The End of an Era he was shown to be a misanthropic alcoholic, and of ambiguous sexuality. Later he was outed as gay, and in later years became more aggrieved and bigoted, complaining about immigrants.
Verence is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2013, 16:07
DiamondDoll
Inactive Member

I always thought he was based on Richard Madeley with a but maybe that's too obvious?

I've always thought that too.

Jeremy Kyle's garbage is also sponsored by some company or other and I've always thought that Richard Madeley is the inspiration for the cartoon figure too.
DiamondDoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2013, 17:07
Super_Furry
Forum Member

I think the sports presenter era Partridge contained a lot of Jim Rosenthal influence.

He seemed to cover/present every ITV sport programme in the late 80s and early 90s, and never seemed to understand the concept of any of them.

Coogan has said that Partridge isn't based on any single person though.
Super_Furry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2013, 17:25
gilliedew
Forum Member

I think we may have stumbled on something here, Coogan must have been around the regional radio stations and said he based his character on the most likely one at each station.

He was recently at Cromer in Norfolk, as his Alan Partridge character recording a film for the cinemas.
gilliedew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2013, 17:43
Glenn A
Forum Member

I did read years ago that Coogan got some of the inspiration from Ian Masters, the host of Look East in the seventies.
Smashy and Nicey, I think, were Alan Freeman and Tony Blackburn or Simon Bates.
Glenn A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2013, 17:55
Cake Or Death
Forum Member

I've heard Tony Wilson was an inspiration, not sure how true that is though. I don't think he's based on Richard Madeley, as I seem to remember Coogan saying the things Madeley says are TOO ridiculous for Partridge!
Cake Or Death is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2013, 17:59
rachie
Forum Member

I think he's based on an amalgamation of people. Nick Owen from Anne and Nick and now to be found on BBC Midlands news always seems slighty Partridgesque to me
rachie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2013, 18:17
DariaM
Forum Member

Dick Madeley ? Surely Steve Coogan would never have demeaned himself by portraying someone (even in the guise of Alan Partridge) who would
i) marry someone old enough to be his grandmother,
and
ii) attempt to steal a bottle of wine and get caught for it ? ... to err is human and all that, but to really be a screw up you would have to be caught,
DariaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2013, 18:20
DiamondDoll
Inactive Member

Dick Madeley ? Surely Steve Coogan would never have demeaned himself by portraying someone (even in the guise of Alan Partridge) who would
and
ii) attempt to steal a bottle of wine and get caught for it ? ... to err is human and all that, but to really be a screw up you would have to be caught,
Ouch.
DiamondDoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2013, 19:23
dorydaryl
Forum Member

and
OOooo, that's harsh! Whatever the age difference and no matter how much of a turnip-head Madeley might be, he clearly loves Judy.
dorydaryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2013, 20:08
SirMickTravis
Forum Member

I thought it was common knowledge that Wilson was one of them? Coogan of course played him in 24 hour party people aswell. Recently I'd started to wonder about David Coleman being an inspiration, certainly in terms of the voice.
SirMickTravis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2013, 03:35
orangefunk
Forum Member

Just 12 seconds and you will know who the inspiration was (or at least one of them)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MsyOe7xCqg
orangefunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2013, 03:43
Jethryk
Forum Member

Alan Partridge is based on a Radio Norfolk DJ called Wally Webb

If you Google both their names an article with them both photographed is there, sorry but cant do the link at the moment.
This is what I've always thought. Don't think it was ever officially confirmed just assumed.
Jethryk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2013, 12:15
CitizenofPhobos
Inactive Member

Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Madeley and Michael Heseltine.

Put them altogether...you get AP
CitizenofPhobos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2013, 15:18
Glenn A
Forum Member

Could we say Phil Schofield is a bit Alan Partridge now, he comes across as incredibly smug and false.
Glenn A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2013, 15:43
auntiem
Forum Member

I am sure I remember Steve Coogan in an interview say it was based on a number of people including Dale Franklin from QVC.

http://youtu.be/cv-WAVBhkrA
auntiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2013, 15:48
Liamforking
Inactive Member

You're all wrong

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Rider

Read the part about his personal life, it's comedy gold (if you're amused by Tory sociopaths)

Personal Life:
Rider objected to the building of affordable housing within East Portlemouth, where property prices had soared due to wealthy second home owners, leaving local people unable to afford to live within their own communities. The objections were quashed by South Hams council.[4][5] In 2007, Rider's son's birthday party was disturbed when a canister of CS gas was set off.[6]
Liamforking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2013, 18:45
hatpeg
Forum Member

I always thought his speech and delivery was based on David Coleman.
hatpeg is offline   Reply With Quote