Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Why doesn't The Doctor and Clara talk properly?

Old 27-04-2013, 21:04
Scorpio2
Forum Member

All they do is banter with little 1 liners at each other. Moffat really needs to sort his scripts out it's too silly to take serious.
Scorpio2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 27-04-2013, 21:07
emma_marie
Forum Member

All they do is banter with little 1 liners at each other. Moffat really needs to sort his scripts out it's too silly to take serious.
I agree, makes her sound really wooden
emma_marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2013, 21:08
snopaelic
Forum Member

It is stopping a proper relationship forming and getting on my nerves.
snopaelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2013, 21:09
solomon caesar
Forum Member

I had high hopes for Clara - the asylum and snowmen episodes showed her talents as a good actress and potential for a great character but since she's become the steady companion, she does nothing except wander around, scream and look generally quizzical.

very one dimensional - no dialogue between them or spark at all. don't get it...
solomon caesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2013, 21:15
Banks246
Forum Member

Just to offer some balance to the argument.

I have found her relationship with the Doctor very fascinating, and the part near the end where they hugged was very touching.

Much different to the companions who take to the whole time travelling and being in danger like it's nothing new is refreshing.

More of the same please.
Banks246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2013, 21:15
BlueZane00
Forum Member

The writing hasn't been great for Clara. She doesn't seem to have much to do. Shame that the latest episode reset her character development.

Still, I like her character and Jenna-Louise Coleman is a good actress so she can make it work (if she has the right material). I'm staying hopeful.
BlueZane00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2013, 21:17
ea91
Forum Member

I don't know why they doesn't, but I'm glad you're not writing the script.
ea91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2013, 21:18
greymarl
Forum Member

It is stopping a proper relationship forming and getting on my nerves.
Yep, exactly. We're supposed to believe the Doctor really cares about Clara, he keeps giving her doe eyes and cupping her face in his hands, yet all we have to go on conversation-wise is a series of one-liners that just don't ring true. Jenna's lines, especially, feel increasingly false and forced. It's really irritating.
greymarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2013, 21:23
tomwozhere
Forum Member

The writing hasn't been great for Clara. She doesn't seem to have much to do. Shame that the latest episode reset her character development.

Still, I like her character and Jenna-Louise Coleman is a good actress so she can make it work (if she has the right material). I'm staying hopeful.
BIB - I agree with that. It was great to see him tell her but then she forgot everything. Then again, one of the brothers sort of remembered something so her memories might bleed through.

I certainly don't think they just throw one liners at each other but there hasn't been quite enough dramatic interaction like heart to hearts yet. It really is a shame she doesn't remember the events of JTTCOTT, by what the Doctor said I assume he gained the memories.
tomwozhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2013, 21:25
Cel1084
Forum Member

Well It seems like as of now they both don't trust each other, Clara is there for the once in a lifetime experience, and the Doctor wants her there because the mystery around her.
Cel1084 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2013, 21:49
vampirek
Forum Member

Well It seems like as of now they both don't trust each other, Clara is there for the once in a lifetime experience, and the Doctor wants her there because the mystery around her.
Its basically that, even the TARDIS takes a dislike to Clara. The Doctor has only taken her on board because she is deemed impossible and he still can't figure it out. Much like with Amy, the crack and the room that wasn't suppose to be. The Doctor only ever goes back if there is a mystery attached,
vampirek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2013, 22:27
Mystical123
Forum Member

BIB - I agree with that. It was great to see him tell her but then she forgot everything. Then again, one of the brothers sort of remembered something so her memories might bleed through.

I certainly don't think they just throw one liners at each other but there hasn't been quite enough dramatic interaction like heart to hearts yet. It really is a shame she doesn't remember the events of JTTCOTT, by what the Doctor said I assume he gained the memories.
I have a feeling that will be relevant later on, otherwise why put in that scene with the brother remembering?

Clara's growing on me, she's certainly an intriguing character and I'm glad she's complicated, not just two-dimensional. Yes, there haven't been enough long dialogue scenes between her and the Doctor, but there's a reason for that - neither of them entirely trusts the other yet, it's not like Amy's unwavering faith in the Doctor that made her open with him and him warm to her. He doesn't understand Clara, so that makes him wary, and less inclined to have long heart-to-hearts with her. She's a very different person to Amy.

To be honest, the way they're interacting at the minute makes perfect sense to me, it'd be strange if they were very open and honest with each other. This last episode was great for Clara characterisation, and I don't think it'll be entirely lost in the reset...
Mystical123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2013, 22:32
yidarmy123
Forum Member

clara looks good in a dress though
yidarmy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2013, 23:31
Midnight Moggy
Forum Member

Completely agree. It's really cringeworthy and it makes the programme seem like some kind of sitcom, sketch show or spoof.
Midnight Moggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2013, 02:03
johnnysaucepn
Forum Member

Clara plays her cards close to her chest, and so does the Doctor. Clara doesn't have the unwavering faith that Amy had, so their relationship is more like a chess game or a joust at the moment.
johnnysaucepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2013, 02:04
Digital Sid
Forum Member

clara looks good in a dress though
She looks good in general.
Digital Sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2013, 02:24
comedyfish
Forum Member

The irony of the thread title
comedyfish is online now Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2013, 02:37
Deserana 12
Forum Member

How exactly is that Moffat's fault? He has written her in 3 of the 7 episodes she has appeared in. He sets her up he doesn't tell Mark Gatiss/Steve Thmpson etc etc how she should talk.
Deserana 12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2013, 03:01
CoalHillJanitor
Forum Member

How exactly is that Moffat's fault? He has written her in 3 of the 7 episodes she has appeared in. He sets her up he doesn't tell Mark Gatiss/Steve Thmpson etc etc how she should talk.
Well, if I were entirely in agreement with the complaint (which I'm not) I would point out that the head writer is responsible for tweaking the dialogue if necessary to keep the characters consistent.
CoalHillJanitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2013, 05:52
smokencheese
Inactive Member

I agree, it's just sassy, sit-com speak which undercuts all the drama.

It's constant throughout this series and has got worse and worse, along with the Doctor acting like a completely childish prat.
smokencheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2013, 13:03
ea91
Forum Member

I agree, it's just sassy, sit-com speak which undercuts all the drama.
That is 90% of all Amy and Rory episodes so I don't see why people are suddenly bringing this up. At least I find Clara more believable.
ea91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2013, 13:18
Silent Timelord
Forum Member

The irony of the thread title
I was praying it was a joke...
Silent Timelord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2013, 13:22
JustArun
Forum Member

The thing that bothers with me Clara is she doesn't seemed too fussed like time travel and space isn't a new concept for her.
JustArun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2013, 13:23
Davetherave70
Inactive Member

The thing that bothers with me Clara is she doesn't seemed too fussed like time travel and space isn't a new concept for her.
Exactly. There'd better be a decent payoff with her explanation that covers all things Clara.
Davetherave70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2013, 14:51
daveskey69
Forum Member

I was praying it was a joke...
I thought it must've been. Either that or I expected WAY more gentle ribbing. Maybe I'm just a mean old grammar nazi!
daveskey69 is offline   Reply With Quote