Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Caught on camera: the mobile phone companies making false promises to customers

Old 29-04-2013, 17:34
Thine Wonk
Forum Member

Watchdog on Wednesday comes back with a new series, mobile phone companies making false promises is going to feature. This might be an interesting watch!
Thine Wonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 29-04-2013, 17:36
jabbamk1
Forum Member

"Of course we won't increase prices during the contract"
- Every network.
jabbamk1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2013, 18:21
Thine Wonk
Forum Member

I'm not exactly sure whether this will be what the sales staff in the stores are telling people. I wonder if Three might come off worse I've heard reports that some people have been told the wrong thing.

Either way I think it'll be an interesting watch for anyone interested in mobile phone companies.

Some are very misleading with their use of 'totally unlimited', then capping speeds at relatively low levels. I think T-mobile recently got into trouble with the ASA and I know that Virgin Mobile are currently being investigated for this and the ASA is due to report soon.
Old 29-04-2013, 18:32
mred2000
Forum Member

I'm not exactly sure whether this will be what the sales staff in the stores are telling people.
That's what I thought with it being 'caught on camera'... You do hear some howlers in phone shops!
mred2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:57
Nick_London
Forum Member

I bet many will be making false claims about 4G rollout which is uneccessary as even EE 4G doesn't cover my area of London. Don't know why they see EE as a threat.
Nick_London is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:25
Thine Wonk
Forum Member

Well I'll certainly be watching with interest later anyway. "yes it's totally unlimited" (don't mention the speed caps).
Old 01-05-2013, 12:18
Young Turks
Forum Member

Orange should be there. I am testing their payg card at the moment for speed and signal coverage and using Iphone 3gs. I get about up to 5.8mb download speed connected on wifi at home but when I am in the office or out and about I get dowload speed of only 0.5mb!

I feel like I am back in the dial up era

I suggest everyone to get a payg sim to test before committing yourself to a 24 months contract!
Young Turks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 19:09
Braunschweig
Forum Member

Orange should be there. I am testing their payg card at the moment for speed and signal coverage and using Iphone 3gs. I get about up to 5.8mb download speed connected on wifi at home but when I am in the office or out and about I get dowload speed of only 0.5mb!

I feel like I am back in the dial up era

I suggest everyone to get a payg sim to test before committing yourself to a 24 months contract!
I see your point, but speeds are dependent on network coverage, traffic and availability
Braunschweig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 19:58
Thine Wonk
Forum Member

Well we'll get to see what it's all about now...
Old 01-05-2013, 20:06
jabbamk1
Forum Member

Looks like i was spot on.
Old 01-05-2013, 20:08
Thine Wonk
Forum Member

Looks like i was spot on.
Certainly does
Old 01-05-2013, 20:20
legends wear 7

That was an awful report and an utter waste of our license fee.
legends wear 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 20:49
jabbamk1
Forum Member

That was an awful report and an utter waste of our license fee.
Agreed. They didn't even state what people should do if they were lied to.
Old 01-05-2013, 21:21
Thine Wonk
Forum Member

It's impossible to prove, that's why. All people have to do is read the contract, so I'm not actually sure I have a load of sympathy.

I thought Watchdog were going to do something a bit more meaty like investigate into the companies advertising totally unlimited and then dropping you down to a low forced cap or stopping downloads and streams.
Old 02-05-2013, 03:16
jabbamk1
Forum Member

It's impossible to prove, that's why. All people have to do is read the contract, so I'm not actually sure I have a load of sympathy.

I thought Watchdog were going to do something a bit more meaty like investigate into the companies advertising totally unlimited and then dropping you down to a low forced cap or stopping downloads and streams.
What i meant was that T-Mobile messed up. For any t-mobile customer who signed up after Oct 2012 the T&C were different and so there is actually a get out clause for them. Even if you signed up before you can request to cancel and T-Mobile would be in breach of the contract by not allowing you to cancel. But T-Mobile are denying it is there for 99.9% of customers of course. Some have been successful and cancelled.

Watchdog could have told people about this but they're useless so wasn't really expecting much.
Old 02-05-2013, 16:25
Jay-Cee
Forum Member

What i meant was that T-Mobile messed up. For any t-mobile customer who signed up after Oct 2012 the T&C were different and so there is actually a get out clause for them. Even if you signed up before you can request to cancel and T-Mobile would be in breach of the contract by not allowing you to cancel. But T-Mobile are denying it is there for 99.9% of customers of course. Some have been successful and cancelled.

Watchdog could have told people about this but they're useless so wasn't really expecting much.
So I can just call t mobile and say I want to cancel? Just like that? Do I need to quote anything? I joined nov 11
Jay-Cee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 21:40
psionic
Forum Member

I just saw this on iPlayer. It wasn't really anything most weren't aware of IMHO. Besides it was just pennies (well under a quid) on monthly bill - not exactly the scandal of the century.

More of a scandal was the bit on Water Companies and how they totally take the piss with their regional monopolies. Not forgetting the old favourite of printer ink costing a bloody fortune.....
psionic is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 21:58
alan1302
Forum Member

I just saw this on iPlayer. It wasn't really anything most weren't aware of IMHO. Besides it was just pennies (well under a quid) on monthly bill - not exactly the scandal of the century.

More of a scandal was the bit on Water Companies and how they totally take the piss with their regional monopolies. Not forgetting the old favourite of printer ink costing a bloody fortune.....
Printer ink is expensive so that the actual printers can be cheap...same way Gillette etc work with razor blades.
alan1302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 00:40
jabbamk1
Forum Member

So I can just call t mobile and say I want to cancel? Just like that? Do I need to quote anything? I joined nov 11
Yup, search MSE forums for the t-mobile price increase thread. There should be other sources as well.