Options

EE So Scarlett grows up without a father..

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,867
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Isn't that equally awful as growing up without a mother? Where the heck is the fairness in that, or is it just me?!?

Comments

• Options
    MarcoRossiMarcoRossi Posts: 1,674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My sentiments exactly. And if Janine is convinced she is such a good mum, she would want what's in Scarlett's interest, and that is to have both a mum and a dad in her life. I have always loved Janine, thought she was often unfairly badly treated, but she is turning to be one wile cow
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am convinced that Charlie Brooks will be gone within a year. I saw an interview somewhere where she hinted she didnt want to play Janine forever. I would love to see her story play out with her eventually becoming a great Mum and deciding with all her money to move away from the awful dump that is Albert Square and buy herself a huge house by the sea to start a new life.
  • Options
    sharon7sharon7 Posts: 362
    Forum Member
    From a legal point of view, would Janine really get full custody?
  • Options
    cuzacuza Posts: 1,749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really don't know why she wanted Scarlett! Unless it's just spite.

She doesn't seem maternal at all. She is awkward with the baby and definitely not the type to appreciate getting sick, wee and poo on her nice clothes!

And where is the child going to be while Janine is working?

Let's see how long it is before she starts getting farmed out.
  • Options
    Paul WilsonPaul Wilson Posts: 5,108
    Forum Member
    sharon7 wrote: »
    From a legal point of view, would Janine really get full custody?

Incredibly doubtful isn't it? No matter what she says about post natal depression - and I'm not sure she did have that - she abandoned her child, and Michaels solicitor could argue if it wasn't for him, Scarlett would've been put in to care. Add to that Janine's prison term, and the fact of her getting full custody seems pretty remote to me.
  • Options
    AngelicPrincessAngelicPrincess Posts: 7,434
    Forum Member
    When Scarlett was born Janine had no support and day in, day out at that hospital alone while Michael never bothered to show up.
    When she got home he played head games with her trying to make her feel she was paranoid and mad. He would lie to her about where he was and what he was doing. Like when she called him and he said he was in the city yet she saw him walking around in Walford. Trying to make your partner feel like they are mad is a type of emotional abuse. She also suffered PND and next to no support from anyone else.

Janine left and to start with Michael was a terrible and neglectful father. He would often dump Scarlett on people literally like that time he just left her by the back door in the vic.Other times he tricked people into looking after her, he took advantage of Roxy to start with in that respect. Had support of Kat as well. When he tried to hire a professional nanny he didnt care if she was right for the job more desperate not to look after her. So much so the nanny decided she didnt want to work for him. Yes he has got better after months of adjustment and a shed load more support than Janine got.

Neither are good parents and I am not one of those people who thinks the mother should always get the child. Hell I supported my brother who took months to get his children. But Michael has shown to be terrible parent as for custody laws it is not as simple as it sounds.
    Michael can not speak like a "normal" human being and constantly in riddles (which was completely different from when he first arrived) I suspect the judge would think something was off. Plus the currently custody laws favour the mother there are cases of really terrible mothers getting custody over fathers so it wont be looked at equally sadly. In the real world Janine has a very strong case not to cut Michael out completely but to get custody.

And as a psychologist it did look to me as though she had PND (often there are cases of the illness making them feel walking out really is the best thing) the way she has returned is unrealistic. Treatment is not just individual therapy showing her so different is not in the slightest realistic but then again EE do not show the follow up on mental health problems well like Ian for example. But I do think she had classic PND and the courts do favour the mother.
    As for her prison term she was aquitted and found not guilty at trial, meaning she can not have that held against her.
  • Options
    doormouse1doormouse1 Posts: 5,431
    Forum Member
    Incredibly doubtful isn't it? No matter what she says about post natal depression - and I'm not sure she did have that - she abandoned her child, and Michaels solicitor could argue if it wasn't for him, Scarlett would've been put in to care. Add to that Janine's prison term, and the fact of her getting full custody seems pretty remote to me.

It would be interesting if Michael's solicitor got to hear about Janine's time spent as a prostitute, and that she also pimped out Whitney when she was supposed to be caring for her. That might have an effect on any decision, despite Janine's wealth.

It really jarred when Janine demanded 'her turn' with Scarlett. This is a child, not a computer game or toy that ichael is hogging.

You can bet that once Michael is gone, Scarlett will become another unseen baby who is palmed of with a sucession of child-minders while Janine gets on with her career - but I'm still convinced Danny Pennant is going to fleece Janine of every penny.
  • Options
    sharon7sharon7 Posts: 362
    Forum Member

Wouldn't she need to prove she had PND? Its sad that she gets the best legal support as she can afford it! :(
  • Options
    CherryRoseCherryRose Posts: 13,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Isn't that equally awful as growing up without a mother? Where the heck is the fairness in that, or is it just me?!?

The whole story of Michael just handing Scarlett over to a Mother who she doesnt know just is unbelievable and an unfair representation of what a father would do!!!!

EE your writing is PATHETIC!!!!!!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sharon7 wrote: »
    Wouldn't she need to prove she had PND? Its sad that she gets the best legal support as she can afford it! :(

Welcome to Tory Britain.
  • Options
    KenkennedykenneKenkennedykenne Posts: 3,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wait was that Michael's last episode?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Wait was that Michael's last episode?

No
    He slept in the gym last night. And ends up staying with Kat and Alice.
  • Options
    mr mugglesmr muggles Posts: 4,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When Scarlett was born Janine had no support and day in, day out at that hospital alone while Michael never bothered to show up.
    When she got home he played head games with her trying to make her feel she was paranoid and mad. He would lie to her about where he was and what he was doing. Like when she called him and he said he was in the city yet she saw him walking around in Walford. Trying to make your partner feel like they are mad is a type of emotional abuse. She also suffered PND and next to no support from anyone else.

Janine left and to start with Michael was a terrible and neglectful father. He would often dump Scarlett on people literally like that time he just left her by the back door in the vic.Other times he tricked people into looking after her, he took advantage of Roxy to start with in that respect. Had support of Kat as well. When he tried to hire a professional nanny he didnt care if she was right for the job more desperate not to look after her. So much so the nanny decided she didnt want to work for him. Yes he has got better after months of adjustment and a shed load more support than Janine got.

Neither are good parents and I am not one of those people who thinks the mother should always get the child. Hell I supported my brother who took months to get his children. But Michael has shown to be terrible parent as for custody laws it is not as simple as it sounds.
    Michael can not speak like a "normal" human being and constantly in riddles (which was completely different from when he first arrived) I suspect the judge would think something was off. Plus the currently custody laws favour the mother there are cases of really terrible mothers getting custody over fathers so it wont be looked at equally sadly. In the real world Janine has a very strong case not to cut Michael out completely but to get custody.

And as a psychologist it did look to me as though she had PND (often there are cases of the illness making them feel walking out really is the best thing) the way she has returned is unrealistic. Treatment is not just individual therapy showing her so different is not in the slightest realistic but then again EE do not show the follow up on mental health problems well like Ian for example. But I do think she had classic PND and the courts do favour the mother.
    As for her prison term she was aquitted and found not guilty at trial, meaning she can not have that held against her.

Really interesting post. I would just like to add, that someone like Stacey had a lot invested in her mental health storylines, whereas Janine, who (imo), has had behavioural problems since an early age, hasn't really been properly invested in. She has sociopath tendencies which have led to some extreme behaviours since she's been in EE, and these have just been used as plot devices, yet, the writers do write the occasional scene to show us, underneath, there is a heart. It seems the writers are ambivalent as to what direction to take her character.
  • Options
    Willow33Willow33 Posts: 2,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    doormouse1 wrote: »
    It would be interesting if Michael's solicitor got to hear about Janine's time spent as a prostitute, and that she also pimped out Whitney when she was supposed to be caring for her. That might have an effect on any decision, despite Janine's wealth.

It really jarred when Janine demanded 'her turn' with Scarlett. This is a child, not a computer game or toy that ichael is hogging.

You can bet that once Michael is gone, Scarlett will become another unseen baby who is palmed of with a sucession of child-minders while Janine gets on with her career - but I'm still convinced Danny Pennant is going to fleece Janine of every penny.

She hasn't even made any plans as to what she is going to do with Scarlett while she is working. Wouldn't that be the first thing on her mind?
  • Options
    HarloweHarlowe Posts: 20,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Janine was out of order to expect to have everything her own way, simply thinking Michael would hand over full care of the child to her without a thought isn't logical, she needs to bond with Scarlett and visa versa which takes time, the child has a routine and faces she familiar with and Janine isn't one of them and any instant change could be upsetting for her, personally I would think about getting social services involved or a mediator and I would be a dubious her getting full custody like nothing has happned, Michael is her father and full carer and I think that counts for something surely!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Harlowe wrote: »
    I think Janine was out of order to expect to have everything her own way, simply thinking Michael would hand over full care of the child to her without a thought isn't logical, she needs to bond with Scarlett and visa versa which takes time, the child has a routine and faces she familiar with and Janine isn't one of them and any instant change could be upsetting for her, personally I would think about getting social services involved or a mediator and I would be a dubious her getting full custody like nothing has happned, Michael is her father and full carer and I think that counts for something surely!

I thought Alice was her full time carer? I have no issue with childminders and working parents but Michael seems happy for Alice to look after Scarlett even when he isn't working. All those times he dumped her on Roxy or Kat. Like leaving her alone by the back door. Or when he tried to hire a professional nanny he didn't care which one so much so the nanny herself did not want to work with her. After the emotional abuse (like playing games so she would think she was going mad saying he was in one place then another etc) he handed out to Janine and the huge support he had which Janine did not, I find it simply odd people think he is some wonderful father.
    I am not saying Janine is a good mother but at least she was ill. If the same people can understand why Ronnie stole a baby surely they can understand why Janine left. And in the real world in UK courts sadly they do favour the mother over the father.
  • Options
    HarloweHarlowe Posts: 20,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alice is a babysitter from what I gather, Michael or Janine are not the best parents far from it both have has terrible parenting themselves so its not hard to believe both are struggling, I can see Michael is trying in his own way he was never going to be the greatest dad but his stuck about I guess its better then nothing.

I can see Janine seems genuine to want her daughter back and yes suffering from PND which no one would blame her for but my issue is her demand to expect to have everything her way that's my only gripe with this storyline I get she probably wanting to do it because of how devious Michael is but she need too learn to be a mother and spend time bonding with her child so eventual the transition would be better when she does get custody, uprooting her child at a minutes notice from what she knows is not the best solution, I've not seen the recent episode so I'm guessing it might of changed, just my only issue with the storyline.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 716
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't understand why they can't just share custody. :confused:
  • Options
    trevor tigertrevor tiger Posts: 37,998
    Forum Member
    I don't understand why they can't just share custody. :confused:

Exactly. It's like their egos are too big to allow both of them to be in Scarlett's life.

It's such a pity as surely 2 parents are better than 1 parent and a child minder etc.
  • Options
    Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I guess with Janine and Michael, compromise is in neither's vocabulary and both want to 'win'
  • Options
    valdvald Posts: 46,057
    Forum Member
    I think if SJS had been staying then we could have seen them sharing but with his leaving obviously only one can win.

I'd like Scarlett to stay, not least because I want two mini Michaels growing up in the square together. On the other hand I can see the benefit of Janine not having a child holding her character back.
  • Options
    felixrexfelixrex Posts: 7,307
    Forum Member
    cuza wrote: »
    I really don't know why she wanted Scarlett! Unless it's just spite.

She doesn't seem maternal at all. She is awkward with the baby and definitely not the type to appreciate getting sick, wee and poo on her nice clothes!

Women who are not naturally maternal can still love their children, you know. My sister was never a very maternal woman but that doesn't mean she doesn't want her children. She is a brilliant mother even if being doting and affectionate didn't come so naturally to her.

Most people would be slightly awkward with an unfamiliar baby - especially when they know they're having their every move scrutinised - and nobody appreciates getting sick, wee and poo on their clothes, but it's something you learn to cope with as part of parenthood. Michael hardly seems the type to have been full of glee at the prospect, himself.
    And where is the child going to be while Janine is working?

Where was the child when Michael was working? Oh, that's right. With Roxy or Alice. As she was most of the time, actually. Something a lot of people seem to be forgetting when they talk about how great a parent Michael supposedly is.

At least Janine can earn money to support her child. The prospect of fatherhood didn't exactly fill Michael with a sense of responsibility and compel him to earn an honest wage instead of living scam-to-scam.
    Let's see how long it is before she starts getting farmed out.

God forbid a woman should balance motherhood with earning a living and have the audacity to employ childcare (which, again, is exactly what Michael's been doing). You'd almost think it was the 21st century or something.
  • Options
    rick182rick182 Posts: 11,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

is to strong a word
  • Options
    Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    A lot of people, on DS at least, have said in the past about when a character has a baby and how the storylines are affected. I think Janine is possibly an exception due to the type of character she is but I really don't see her with Scarlett long term. If Michael doesn't die, I can see him leaving with her.