Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Virgin Media launches all-inclusive unlimited VIP tariff Read more at http://www.trus

Old 02-05-2013, 01:19
JasonWatkins
Forum Member

Think this could spark a price war?

http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/v...ted-vip-tariff

I suspect there'll be the arguments about speed caps, fair usage allowances e.t.c., but if you're on a sim only, 15 quid a month for, on the face of it, unlimited everything is pretty good IMO.

I'm on the premier tariff which i'm getting for 9 a month which i'm not hugely keen on changing because of the price, but I think i'll have to ring them to see if anything can be done so i can move to this new one.
JasonWatkins is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 02-05-2013, 01:30
enapace
Forum Member

Think this could spark a price war?

http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/v...ted-vip-tariff

I suspect there'll be the arguments about speed caps, fair usage allowances e.t.c., but if you're on a sim only, 15 quid a month for, on the face of it, unlimited everything is pretty good IMO.

I'm on the premier tariff which i'm getting for 9 a month which i'm not hugely keen on changing because of the price, but I think i'll have to ring them to see if anything can be done so i can move to this new one.
Interesting just looked into this and it only cheap if you already have broadband or tv with virgin already else it is 47 a month.

http://www.virginmobile.com/vm/viewH...ingId=26166336
enapace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:05
WelshBluebird
Forum Member

What are Virgin like in terms of speeds, throttling, soft caps and such? I am assuming tethering is probably blocked?
WelshBluebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 03:12
jabbamk1
Forum Member

What are Virgin like in terms of speeds, throttling, soft caps and such? I am assuming tethering is probably blocked?
According to their current terms and conditions their unlimited data has a fair use policy of 3.5GB. Once you exceed the cap your speeds are capped to 384kbps until the end of the month.

You cannot tether.

Virgin have got a bit of stick in the past from going from truly unlimited data and tethering to introducing fair use policies, removing tethering, reducing fair use policies and even introducing a 2mbps speed cap at one time. So not exactly the best network to go for as they keep changing their T&C all the time.

However i wonder if these new unlimited plans will mean truly unlimited calls and texts? I'm yet to find any mention of fair use for this.
jabbamk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:19
JasonWatkins
Forum Member

Oopps, forgot to edit out the "Read more" bit!

However i wonder if these new unlimited plans will mean truly unlimited calls and texts? I'm yet to find any mention of fair use for this.
I'm going to ring them today and ask about it, so i'll report back.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:58
JasonWatkins
Forum Member

Just rung them and they had no information on any fair use policy for the new tariff. They said the information they do have does say 'unlimited' but then so does the premier package and that's got a 3.5gb limit.

But then I suppose since it only launched yesterday, it's fair enough.

They did confirm though that unlimited minutes means to basically everything - mobiles, 08 numbers and landline.

It's tempting - I'm paying 9 a month for Premier and this would be 15 and most likely open to a retentions deal 6 months down the line maybe .. hhmmm
Old 02-05-2013, 10:35
purple bunny
Forum Member

bad very bad. i had a payg sim a few wks ago & downloading images was a noghtmare everything was coming in 1/4 of its orig size
purple bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:24
denyo1977
Forum Member

I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole after the disaster a couple of months ago. Trying to lure people with "unlimited", just to take it away to give all customers a good experience.
denyo1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 13:08
AnthonymcQ
Inactive Member

I left Giffgaff for Virgins great unlimited data offer in January.

Was great for two months. Then they slowed everything down, brought in the 3.5 gb cap, and ended tethering to new users (I still have mine).

So not great, But for many users still probably the best payg sim out there. Was looking at Kooning Three, but decided against it for now.
AnthonymcQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 15:29
WelshBluebird
Forum Member

According to their current terms and conditions their unlimited data has a fair use policy of 3.5GB. Once you exceed the cap your speeds are capped to 384kbps until the end of the month.

You cannot tether.

Virgin have got a bit of stick in the past from going from truly unlimited data and tethering to introducing fair use policies, removing tethering, reducing fair use policies and even introducing a 2mbps speed cap at one time. So not exactly the best network to go for as they keep changing their T&C all the time. .
I'll be staying with Three then!
WelshBluebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 18:28
klendathu
Forum Member

So can you stick this 15 sim into a tablet or phablet and just surf away to your hearts content?
I dont download anything apart from the occasional free app so the cap wouldnt bother me.

There would be no point in me having a landline , therefore no cold calls and shit

It seems too good to be true with these 08 calls included.
klendathu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 18:53
Steven L Hunter
Forum Member

There would be no point in me having a landline , therefore no cold calls and shit
You can still get cold calls on a mobile
Steven L Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 19:38
Mandark
Forum Member

I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole after the disaster a couple of months ago. Trying to lure people with "unlimited", just to take it away to give all customers a good experience.
I can see Virgin getting into trouble with the ASA for misleading advertising if they're messing people around that much.
Mandark is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 20:34
Thine Wonk
Forum Member

I can see Virgin getting into trouble with the ASA for misleading advertising if they're messing people around that much.
They are currently being investigated by the ASA, how do I know? because I made a complaint to them about misleading use of totally unlimited when once you download a certain amount you get capped at very slow speeds.

The ASA initially wrote back about 6 weeks ago thanking me for contacting them, but saying they didn't intend to take the matter any further.

Then out of the blue 2 weeks ago I received another letter saying that they had changed their mind and that in fact they were going to carry out a full investigation and that the outcome will be in the next report.

I thought it was odd, but it'll be interesting to see the outcome. I might post the letter later if I can find it. I'm moving house at the moment and everything is in boxes!
Thine Wonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 20:44
Mandark
Forum Member

They are currently being investigated by the ASA, how do I know? because I made a complaint to them about misleading use of totally unlimited when once you download a certain amount you get capped at very slow speeds.

The ASA initially wrote back about 6 weeks ago thanking me for contacting them, but saying they didn't intend to take the matter any further.

Then out of the blue 2 weeks ago I received another letter saying that they had changed their mind and that in fact they were going to carry out a full investigation and that the outcome will be in the next report.

I thought it was odd, but it'll be interesting to see the outcome. I might post the letter later if I can find it. I'm moving house at the moment and everything is in boxes!
Good work!! It looks like a clear scam to me.
Old 02-05-2013, 20:45
Thine Wonk
Forum Member

Found it, took a quick pic as I don't have a scanner at home.

http://oi40.tinypic.com/n35bat.jpg

To call it totally unlimited and then cap you at 384kbps once you've downloaded 3.5Gigs is a con in my book, and hopefully the ASA agree.
Thine Wonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 20:50
Mandark
Forum Member

Well the good thing is that Virgin's wheeler dealers are going to find it difficult to scrap this and bring out a lesser offer in a couple of months now they're under investigation.
Old 02-05-2013, 21:21
drivel
Forum Member

I'd like to switch to Virgin if they don't have a 3.5GB FUP or 384kbps cap.
drivel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 22:27
JasonWatkins
Forum Member

I'd like to switch to Virgin if they don't have a 3.5GB FUP or 384kbps cap.
I do wonder if the VIP package might be truly unlimited - they've been banned from referring to their broadband as unlimited because it clearly isn't, so maybe they wouldn't necessarily make the same mistake twice?
Old 03-05-2013, 10:13
JasonWatkins
Forum Member

Well just spoken to two different people from two different departments and both confirmed that the pay monthly VIP tariff does include the 08 numbers and the sim only does not.

They also confirmed that the data allowance has the same fair use policy as all of the others - 3.5gb. So there you go. Sticking with my 9 a month retentions deal on the Premier Tariff after that.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:29
enapace
Forum Member

Well just spoken to two different people from two different departments and both confirmed that the pay monthly VIP tariff does include the 08 numbers and the sim only does not.

They also confirmed that the data allowance has the same fair use policy as all of the others - 3.5gb. So there you go. Sticking with my 9 a month retentions deal on the Premier Tariff after that.
So it seems that Three's One Plan remains the only true unlimited data and tethering allowed service.
enapace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:35
The Lord Lucan
Forum Member

To call it totally unlimited and then cap you at 384kbps once you've downloaded 3.5Gigs is a con in my book, and hopefully the ASA agree.
Wish more people would complain.
The Lord Lucan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:41
denyo1977
Forum Member

Me and my partner both complained too and just like Thine Wonk we both got two letters from ASA.
denyo1977 is offline   Reply With Quote