Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Anyone Still Using a 3GS ( May 2013 ). ?

Old 06-05-2013, 02:56
AnthonymcQ
Inactive Member

I use this as a home phone line, so mainly it just recieves texts / calls when I am out.

I am trying out a new sim in my mobile mobile, so tried out my 3GS for proper use for the first time in a year or so.

I was pretty shocked to see the battery has gone so bad. I did a bit of browsing and it dropped ten per cent in ten minutes...

Has certainly put me off ever getting a phone with a non swappable battery.

It's a shame as its still a very usable phone, though compared to recent phones the speed at which it runs is so noticeably slower.

The value of trade in is so low now (30-45) I will just keep it in a dock as an iPod.

Anyone still using a 3GS daily ?
AnthonymcQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 06-05-2013, 06:38
steffangl
Forum Member

I use this as a home phone line, so mainly it just recieves texts / calls when I am out.

I am trying out a new sim in my mobile mobile, so tried out my 3GS for proper use for the first time in a year or so.

I was pretty shocked to see the battery has gone so bad. I did a bit of browsing and it dropped ten per cent in ten minutes...

Has certainly put me off ever getting a phone with a non swappable battery.

It's a shame as its still a very usable phone, though compared to recent phones the speed at which it runs is so noticeably slower.

The value of trade in is so low now (30-45) I will just keep it in a dock as an iPod.

Anyone still using a 3GS daily ?
Although its technically not replaceable, it's pretty easy to change the batteries in iPhones. Unscrew the 2 small screws at the bottom and when the cover comes off its the first thing you see.

I agree it's a pain though.
steffangl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:53
thedrewser
Forum Member

My Father in Law still uses my old 3G I gave him in November 2011 when I got my new 4S, and, although he isn't a heavy user, he hasn't mentioned about a poor battery, and he would say if it was a problem.

Although, I suspect he hasn't updated any software since I gave it to him.
thedrewser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 09:11
Matthartlane
Forum Member

Yeah I'm still using mine but I have just made the decision to go for a sim free galaxy s3.

For me the 3GS has started to really become very slow and unresponsive + battery is indeed awful (I am on the latest software).
Matthartlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 16:32
douknowotimean?
Forum Member

My mum has a 3GS. She has to charge it up every day, but other than that it works perfectly fine.
douknowotimean? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 16:53
inkfinger
Forum Member

Yes, and so far it's still doing fine for what I need.
I've no plans to upgrade in a hurry.
inkfinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 13:59
simonpoole
Forum Member

if you have an iPhone 3GS and the battery is no longer holding its charge, visit your local Apple Store who once diagnosistics have been performed on your phone will usually offer you a replacement refurbished iPhone for 55.
simonpoole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 17:46
n1guy

Although its technically not replaceable, it's pretty easy to change the batteries in iPhones. Unscrew the 2 small screws at the bottom and when the cover comes off its the first thing you see.

I agree it's a pain though.
Wrong, on the 3g/s the screen comes out first after unscrewing, basically everything has to be pulled out to get at the battery which is stuck to the back cover, its a major pain, there are also different varieties of apple batteries, you have to find the one that matches the logic board, there is no way of know unless you pull all apart.
n1guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 18:50
copthis1
Inactive Member

if you have an iPhone 3GS and the battery is no longer holding its charge, visit your local Apple Store who once diagnosistics have been performed on your phone will usually offer you a replacement refurbished iPhone for 55.
What a 3GS?
copthis1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 22:47
Mark Smith
Forum Member

If it was a 3GS it would surely only be a refurb? I think the iPhone 4 replaced the 3GS as the entry level 'cheap' iPhone around the time when the iPhone 5 was announced/released.
Mark Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 23:02
Mystic Eddy
Forum Member

If it was a 3GS it would surely only be a refurb? I think the iPhone 4 replaced the 3GS as the entry level 'cheap' iPhone around the time when the iPhone 5 was announced/released.
Correct. Which is why in the post mentioning the 55 price, the poster stated it would be a 'replacement refurbished iPhone'.
Mystic Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 23:43
gmphmac
Forum Member

I am (although not for much longer). I've noticed that many apps are incredibly slow and often crash now. As others have mentioned, the battery life is shocking when using internet based apps, especially Facebook and Foursquare.
gmphmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 00:49
simonpoole
Forum Member

Yes, a refurbished iPhone 3GS
Mine looks brand new, and they all have new batteries.
simonpoole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 20:34
bobbycharlton1
Forum Member

we have 4 in my family, all still working fine
bobbycharlton1 is offline   Reply With Quote