Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

You never see athiests doing this!

Old 06-05-2013, 11:06
Ulsterguy
Forum Member

Clashes over Bangladesh protest leave '15 dead'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-22423815

Chanting "Allahu Akbar!" ("God is greatest!") and "One point! One demand! Atheists must be hanged", the activists marched down at least six main roads as they headed for Motijheel, AFP news agency reported.

Athiests may have many faults, but we've never demanded the religious hanged.
Ulsterguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:11
PrimalIce
Inactive Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persecu...e_Soviet_Union

Yeah, Im afraid we pretty much did.
PrimalIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 11:13
fink
Inactive Member

Clashes over Bangladesh protest leave '15 dead'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-22423815

Chanting "Allahu Akbar!" ("God is greatest!") and "One point! One demand! Atheists must be hanged", the activists marched down at least six main roads as they headed for Motijheel, AFP news agency reported.

Athiests may have many faults, but we've never demanded the religious hanged.
You don't think the fact that they're Islamists and therefore likely fanatic fruitcakes has anything to do with it then? Open your eyes man.
fink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 11:16
Ulsterguy
Forum Member

You don't think the fact that they're Islamists and therefore likely fanatic fruitcakes has anything to do with it then? Open your eyes man.
So it's ok to demand death if you're a fanatic?
Ulsterguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 11:17
Auntie Climax
Forum Member

Twenty million killed?
Auntie Climax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 11:17
fink
Inactive Member

No, but they're hardly representative of religion per se, which is what you are wanting to have a pop at.
fink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 11:18
Chizzleface
Forum Member

Nice stretch, Armstrong.

Nobody said that being a fruitcake makes it okay to demand hanging. The point is that being a fruitcake means that their point of view is not to be taken seriously.
Chizzleface is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 11:19
nomad2king
Forum Member

Atheists may not always go to that extreme, but they do try and trample all over people's beliefs eg (selective) banning of religious symbols or expressions.

Are the protesters themselves defaming Islam. or are they showing it up for what it really is? If it's not the latter then they must be falsely representing(ie defaming) Islam.
nomad2king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 11:20
delly

"I am Muslim and 90% of the population is Muslim too but the protesters do not represent our views," he said.

And, the rest are mostly Hindis.

So a tiny percentage of fanatics.
delly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 11:29
Evo102
Forum Member

Closer to home, I am yet to have an atheist knock on my door and try and sell me their way of thinking.
Evo102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 11:30
Auntie Climax
Forum Member

Closer to home, I am yet to have an atheist knock on my door and try and sell me their way of thinking.
They don't have time to do that, they're too busy doing it on internet forums and youtube.
Auntie Climax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 11:34
KarlSomething
Forum Member

It's not that atheists don't do bad, but that atheism can't be a reason for why anyone would do something like this.

"I will kill you because no god told me to" or "beacuse you don't not serve the same no god as I don't".
KarlSomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 11:36
big brother 9
Forum Member

if we didnt have religion what would we argue about
big brother 9 is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 11:38
captainkremmen
Forum Member

Atheists may not always go to that extreme, but they do try and trample all over people's beliefs eg (selective) banning of religious symbols or expressions.
Oh the religious organisations do that all the time, even if the bulk of their own congregation disagrees with them usually.

Are the protesters themselves defaming Islam. or are they showing it up for what it really is? If it's not the latter then they must be falsely representing(ie defaming) Islam.
It depends on whether another Muslim agrees with them or not surely?. If they agree with the extremists then yes, this group are representing their views. If they disagree with them, then they aren't. Simple.
captainkremmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 11:39
copthis1
Inactive Member

Price of beer...
copthis1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 11:40
captainkremmen
Forum Member

Benefit claimants.
captainkremmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 11:41
KarlSomething
Forum Member

Food and land. And shiny things.

But we might get on with developing technology and expanding our knowledge more rapidly.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:43
BBWorldWideFan
Forum Member

He/she isn't saying that, they're just stating that you can't just generalize an entire religion based on a few nutters for your own agenda.
BBWorldWideFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 11:48
KarlSomething
Forum Member

They don't have time to do that, they're too busy doing it on internet forums and youtube.
Which is by far the more appropriate place for it.

Your door is always there. Unless someone steals your door. But you and everyone else, has to actively seek out the web pages to be exposed to what's on there.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:51
Snozzcumber
Forum Member

It's not that atheists don't do bad, but that atheism can't be a reason for why anyone would do something like this.

"I will kill you because no god told me to" or "beacuse you don't not serve the same no god as I don't".
The bit in bold is obviously true, but it's also tautologous. An atheist can't use God as a reason, because by definition, they don't believe in God.

Atheists can however believe that "religion is a cancer and must be eradicated, even if that means killing the religious". And that is really a subset of the kind of thinking that says "beliefs other than mine are a cancer and must be eradicated, even if that means killing people of other beliefs".

What really matters is not whether people are theists or atheists, but whether they have totalitarian or violent interpretations of their worldviews.
Snozzcumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 11:58
KarlSomething
Forum Member

What really matters is not whether people are theists or atheists, but whether they have totalitarian or violent interpretations of their worldview.
My point is that atheism isn't a worldview at all, that it's nothing. You have to go beyond atheism to see cause for you to behave a certain way.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:58
dosanjh1
Forum Member

Twenty million killed?
And that's before you count Pol Pot, Mao, et al.
dosanjh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 12:06
Snozzcumber
Forum Member

My point is that atheism isn't a worldview at all, that it's nothing. You have to go beyond atheism to see cause for you to behave a certain way.
If it was nothing, it would be called nothing. Atheism is the belief that there are no gods. It says something fundamental about how that person sees the world they inhabit.

You have to go beyond mere theism to see cause for you to behave in a certain way too. That's what I meant when I referred to violent and totalitarian interpretations.
Snozzcumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 12:08
ishina
Inactive Member

The faith, dogma, and fanatical devotion to a figurehead that we usually have in mind when referring to Stalinism, Maoism or Nazism seems to me to have more in common with religion than it does with atheism.
ishina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 12:09
Liamforking
Inactive Member

That is not the nature of a vacuum.
Create a vacuum and it will be filled by the thing closest to it.
Take away the worship of a higher power (whether it exists or not) and what you are left with is self-worship.
When man worships himself all things become permissible.
Liamforking is offline   Reply With Quote